supercharged v6 what supercharger and were from

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PW@Woodsport

Re: supercharged v6 what supercharger and were from

Post by PW@Woodsport »

As Karl says, you'd be into 2gr territory cost wise, and then it becomes a no brainer.... my 2gr swaps produce 290lbs.ft of torque and 325bhp just as an NA with no charger for the same cost as a 1mz with custom charger setup.... so it makes no sense to supercharge a 3vz or 1mz when the 2gr exists.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

PW@Woodsport wrote:As Karl says, you'd be into 2gr territory cost wise, and then it becomes a no brainer.... my 2gr swaps produce 290lbs.ft of torque and 325bhp just as an NA with no charger for the same cost as a 1mz with custom charger setup.... so it makes no sense to supercharge a 3vz or 1mz when the 2gr exists.

Unless your like me and you want it just because its not really been done over here :lol:

It definitely does not make any financial sense though, and you would have to throw some serious serious money at your car to modify it and on parts for the spec that you are talking about

A 2GR is the best standard engine route and has the least issues with reliability too. If I was in your position I would save for that :thumleft:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
alan_uk

Post by alan_uk »

I'm not at all familiar with a 2gr engine what is it ?
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

alan_uk wrote:I'm not at all familiar with a 2gr engine what is it ?

I'm sure Paul won't mind me posting up a link to his website:

http://www.woodsport.org/joomla/index.p ... conversion

Put basically its a lovely V6 3.5 litre big boy version of the 1MZ, and a lot newer. Its got more grunt, better reliability and you wouldn't want to supercharge it :lol:

The 2GR is the engine that everyone is favouring at the moment for conversions if they can afford it/are inclined that way. Have a gander on twobrutal for some ideas and to read exactly whats going on :thumleft:
Last edited by KarlBristol on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

My figures might be a bit out but if memory serves correct your looking at between 8-10k for one of those sourced, stripped and fitted into your MR2 if you want it done by someone and to a decent standard

I'm sure that someone else can clarify exactly how much it costs if its an option your thinking of

Definitely cheaper than an 1MZ VVTI supercharged :thumleft:

alan_uk

Post by alan_uk »

The car certainly isn't worth 10-12k to me

I guess after all the thought I will most likely go the turbo route after all
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

alan_uk wrote:The car certainly isn't worth 10-12k to me

I guess after all the thought I will most likely go the turbo route after all

A 3vz conversion would come in at your budget... but I doubt that it would give you the power that your after, and certainly isn't different as 99.9% of MR2 V6 conversions use them

A turbo conversion is a cheaper way of gaining the same if not more power, and if power is your thing they are definitely cheaper and easier to tune and modify

synXero

Post by synXero »

Spanner in the works...

...Fimmo has one...
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

synXero wrote:Spanner in the works...

...Fimmo has one...

Has a what - 2gr?
Everyone I've spoken to is very very positive about the engine. In fact I haven't heard a negative word said about it yet (obviously avoiding the cost of it :lol: )

synXero

Post by synXero »

KarlBristol wrote:
synXero wrote:Spanner in the works...

...Fimmo has one...

Has a what - 2gr?
Everyone I've spoken to is very very positive about the engine. In fact I haven't heard a negative word said about it yet (obviously avoiding the cost of it :lol: )

Sorry I should've clarified. A supercharged V6. I don't thiiiiiink there are any 2GRs in Scotland.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Im presuming that would be a 3vz though so would definitely not be a route I would suggest nowadays... I think that a couple of 3vzs have been supercharged over the years, I come across various build threads that have it now and again. Its definitely uncharted territory for a 1MZVVTI (until I can afford it :D :lol:)

A supered 3vz would probably still pull you close to the 2gr price bracket I would have thought unless you do the labour yourself....

I only know of x4 mk2 2grs that are up and running in the uk but there has to be more than that. I know that more engines have been sold than that :-k

I'm waiting for a proper V8 (or better still V12) build to get up and running now that would be awesome :twisted:

I'm still keeping my eyes in the mr2 limo build thread always keeps me amused :lol:

synXero

Post by synXero »

For sure. 2gr is the ultimate mr2 engine unquestionably. I suspect the v8 builds will always be about noise and poise rather than performance, dynamics, etc. The weight is a massive issue.

These alloy block torquey V6s make so much sense though :thumleft:
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

synXero wrote:I don't thiiiiiink there are any 2GRs in Scotland.

You could be wrong there... :wink:
synXero

Post by synXero »

Rosssco wrote:
synXero wrote:I don't thiiiiiink there are any 2GRs in Scotland.

You could be wrong there... :wink:

...you?
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

KarlBristol wrote:

Unless your like me and you want it just because its not really been done over here :lol:

MRV6 was running a SC 1MZ up until about a couple of years ago, then had it swapped for a 2GRFE. It wasn't the Vvti version of the 1MZ though if that makes much difference..
Loque

Post by Loque »

You could bolt the supercharger from the Evora S onto the 2GR though, I'd have thunk.

Would not bother with supercharging a 3v/1m V6 though.
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

I have read quite a few 1mz supercharger build threads, the yanks use them on the 'solara' and there's a forum for that car there.

The threads all kick off with lots of excitement, plans, sourcing hard to find parts, big money spent, parts shipped worldwide, money spent, drama, tears, more money spent, tears, frustration, more money spent...

Then its bolted on. Then they drive it. Then they dyno it. Then there's a trd supercharger kit or s/c car for sale.

From every (98% of them) thread I could find the thing just doesnt deliver bang for buck, it's poorly engineered (not that im an engineer but I dont need to be reading the problems the thing poses)

There's very limited options with it, it runs fine when using the recommended pulleys but once you start asking it for more it simply says 'no'

I could just be totally over simplifying the issues, it seems like a noise whiny (the whine sounds great to me) addition for a 'few' extra hp but for too troublesome and expensive for the return.

From what I remember reading about the history of the unit it was rushed by trd from the beginning and not really a proud moment for toyota.

Of course, please show me up with the happy owners who drive the trd unit regularly and rate it. I bought a 1mz with big ideas of the trd blower myself but after reading everything I could about it, then comparing it to a non stressed, big, lazy 2gr, why on earth would you bother?

Of course, Mr. Woods has done installs of the trd blower and still does on request as he says, but I fairly sure he's mentioned in this thread the thing is fairly limited. (or could have been another poster...)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Aussie pretty much hits the nail on the head there, the TRD SC for the 1mz was designed to be a bolt on "low blow" upgrade for Camry owners, running stock injectors and ECU, it is not a very thermally efficient unit and becomes a bit of a blow torch over 5psi with a smaller pulley fitted.

You cannot intercool it due to its design, and unless you go water injection you're never going to make more than 50-60bhp gain using it.

One of the first V6 Mr2s ever built had a nice compound charged setup, using the TRD unit as the first stage, basically eliminating any lag low down and taking care of the power delivery in the 1-5 psi range, after that it's bypass valve was opened and the turbo would take over from 5psi onwards.

Engines like that need propely building though, with forged internals etc, and by the time labour and parts are factored in you are well over 2gr money, which simply put will trounce that option anyway. Yes the 2gr is expensive, but when you start to look at what it would cost you to SC or turbo a V6 it suddenly makes perfect sense.

V8 was mentioned, i have one :D , but it is not something i could ever recommend, it's just plain nuts, spins the wheels at 3000rpm with minimal effort in pretty much any gear, and costs a remortgage to build.
antnkel

Post by antnkel »

There's another 1mz in Scotland with an intercooled m90 strapped to it.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

How is that car going Ant, any updates?

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”