[Mk2] [NA] v6 conversion-diy lengthening 5th gear,can it be done?

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mk2mattw

[Mk2] [NA] v6 conversion-diy lengthening 5th gear,can it be done?

Post by mk2mattw »

I am building my v6 conversion for my rev3,heard about lengthening 5th which will make the car better to drive, has anyone done it themself and is it easy to do?
cheers
matt
Slarty

Re: [Mk2] [NA] v6 conversion-diy lengthening 5th gear,can it be done?

Post by Slarty »

I "think" I've seen mention of Paul Woods (Woodsport) having a longer 5th gear kit, but I can't be certain.

I do know for a fact though that you can fit the diff from a Celica ST165 GT4 to give you longer ratios overall..It might be that people are getting confussed and mistaking the diff change for a longer 5th gear...or it might be that Peter does indeed do a longer 5th gear lol.
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

If its the S54 NA gearbox, then yep, pop over to Twobrutal.com, and you will find Toyota part numbers for an extended 5th gear cluster. Think its around ~£150 for the parts, but apparently its an almost 'must have' option for the V6 conversions, as it allows the slightly shorter 1-4 gears to retained for acceleration, but a longer 5th for crusing / economy.. There is also a 'how to' on Twobrutal.

Unsure of changing the final drive, or different ratios on the E153 turbo gearbox, but there are options available also I believe.
mk2mattw

Post by mk2mattw »

mine is a rev3 na box how do i know if its a s54 one? if there is a kit that would be great!
p5ycho

Post by p5ycho »

mk2mattw wrote:mine is a rev3 na box how do i know if its a s54 one? if there is a kit that would be great!

it is do-able but a great ball ache to do at home, as said above Paul woods has done it many times and can do it but he has made special tools to remove the 5th gear set and associated bits from the gear box which can't just be pulled off, Paul can also fit a lsd in the box for you if you wish..
the only gearbox that you can extend the 5th on is the na s54 box, the trubo box can not be done..
mk2mattw

Post by mk2mattw »

p5ycho wrote:
mk2mattw wrote:mine is a rev3 na box how do i know if its a s54 one? if there is a kit that would be great!

it is do-able but a great ball ache to do at home, as said above Paul woods has done it many times and can do it but he has made special tools to remove the 5th gear set and associated bits from the gear box which can't just be pulled off, Paul can also fit a lsd in the box for you if you wish..
the only gearbox that you can extend the 5th on is the na s54 box, the trubo box can not be done..

famous last words-how hard can it be?haha

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”