Johnny G's 3.4 litre V6 Turbo

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RobCrezz

Re: Johnny G's 3.4 litre V6 Turbo

Post by RobCrezz »

Awesome! Dont know what else to say really!

Look forward to seeing the end result!
Olls

Post by Olls »

Effin beast of a motor you have there chap, well done , you & all involved definatley deserve one of these :thumleft: !
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

Thanks guys - just working out a very minor gremlin at the moment ... TIME!

I'm so busy working away, I've had no time to drive it - let alone have the map finished on the dyno.

Thanks for the comments, though, but it's Woodsport and my Bank Manager who deserve the praise :)
3.4ltr V6 Turbo. Built by Woodsport. Controlled by Syvecs, mapped by Ryan. 420bhp @ 0.7bar from 2400rpm
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Now THATS how you get big power!

We see all too often people slapping a huge turbo on to the 3SGTE lump which just isnt designed to supply such large turbo's. End result is laaaaag BOOM. Not my idea of how power should be delivered as the result is usually a horrible driving experience and probably endless engine failures.

I'm assuming that with the much, much higher displacement this thing will have great power delivery over much more of the rev range at a much nicer rate vs RPM. Would be very interested once you've had it dyno'd to see the graph.

Have to say though, reading this would not make me think a V6 conversion is a good idea. I'd rather a 3SGTE than an NA V6

This is so far removed from that it's unreal. Fair play for thinking of it and even more so for going through with it :clap: :thumleft:
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

matt_mr2t wrote:Now THATS how you get big power!

We see all too often people slapping a huge turbo on to the 3SGTE lump which just isnt designed to supply such large turbo's. End result is laaaaag BOOM. Not my idea of how power should be delivered as the result is usually a horrible driving experience and probably endless engine failures.

I'm assuming that with the much, much higher displacement this thing will have great power delivery over much more of the rev range at a much nicer rate vs RPM. Would be very interested once you've had it dyno'd to see the graph.

Have to say though, reading this would not make me think a V6 conversion is a good idea. I'd rather a 3SGTE than an NA V6

This is so far removed from that it's unreal. Fair play for thinking of it and even more so for going through with it :clap: :thumleft:

Cheers, Matt.
Car is making nice torque at 1800rpm, 0.5bar by 2400 and 1.1bar by 3000rpm-ish. It's stunningly quick, even in the current trim. God knows what another 0.7bar + 2500 rpm will give!!
3.4ltr V6 Turbo. Built by Woodsport. Controlled by Syvecs, mapped by Ryan. 420bhp @ 0.7bar from 2400rpm
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

Johnny G wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:Now THATS how you get big power!

Cheers, Matt.
Car is making nice torque at 1800rpm, 0.5bar by 2400 and 1.1bar by 3000rpm-ish. It's stunningly quick, even in the current trim. God knows what another 0.7bar + 2500 rpm will give!!

Brown pants is my guess Johnny :thumleft: :lol:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
ashley

Post by ashley »

Fantastic build, really really interested to see what she puts down: s'gonna be insane once you rack the boost and revs up :shock: ...was lurking and watching your build thread on the other forum: very very impressive project.

Kinda hate you for doing it cos it really makes me want to attempt a huge build of some description...soo tempting (but must resist!!) :twisted: I really love that it's so different, and the engineering effort that has gone into the project. Respect!

Just pray for some decent weather so you can get out there and enjoy now mate :thumleft:

well jealous :mrgreen:
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

Cheers Ash,

Just one more thing to add - we're now overhauling the fuel setup. It was just put in place to get it functional and working.

But, Nathan from Century is designing the system for me, from the walbro's outwards.

Hope to have that off him soon and then in place not too long afterwards.
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

Alright folks - bit of an update.
I've just had the MR2 Only photoshoot. Steve B came up yesterday (Sat) and we took a few photos at some locations around north-Liverpool. Then went down a dual carriage way at national speed limit speeds. (plus a few)

He was very impressed with the car, the delivery and the power - he said it was more than he expected - and that's in it's basic tune!

Subscribe to MR2 Only magazine for the full feature :)
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

good stuff :thumleft: so looking forward to seeing your car johnn.
1993 GT TURBO
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Coolio, top stuff with feature. Hope we get some news regarding Ryan on mon/tue now so I can poss see this thing pulling on the dyno!
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

Steve Horrocks wrote:Coolio, top stuff with feature. Hope we get some news regarding Ryan on mon/tue now so I can poss see this thing pulling on the dyno!

Yes mate - I'll keep you posted when I've spoken to the venerable Mr Griffiths

Just cleared it with Steve to use this photo before the featur comes out. I love it

ashley

Post by ashley »

That looks stunning...those wheel arches are kin awesome- gives the rear end an amazing stance =P~
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

ashman wrote:That looks stunning...those wheel arches are kin awesome- gives the rear end an amazing stance =P~

Yea, feels very planted, the whole car - and it still needs a full 3D alignment, which I'll probably get sorted next Saturday. Shamed I've only got Saturday's to get stuff done!
steveybMR2-173

Post by steveybMR2-173 »

Really is an amazing machine, had a hoot on Saturday doing the photoshoot, look on the Scallys faces in the Audi on the bypass was priceless! I'm amazed at the power and delivery of the car even in it's moderate state of tune, and then theres the noise it makes! 3.4 V6 Turbo, I think I want one! :thumleft:

Next issue of MR2 Only Mag goes to press this coming weekend, so not long to wait now folks
Black 1994 Mk2 Rev 3 GT Turbo T-Bar
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

looking forward to it :thumleft:
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

Neil_turbo wrote:looking forward to it :thumleft:

Just confirmed, mapping on the 2nd March. Mmmm nice.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Good luck matey, looking forward to the results :thumleft:
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

Chris wrote:Good luck matey, looking forward to the results :thumleft:

Yep. Won't be the highest figures, yet. Want to get the cold weather out the way before I really go for it. Mainly for tweaks, more revs and then a bit more boost :)
Tubby

Post by Tubby »

:clap: absolutely fantastic read,and what a car you have created :clap: fair play to you and all involved,credit where credit due,fantastic :clap: :clap:

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”