V8 Mk1 6 speed with power steering

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PW@Woodsport

Re: V8 Mk1 6 speed with power steering

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Totally agree Kaiowas, one day i'll cut the roof off one and put this gear on it.

Jay i'm using a 1mz in the Elise, for me a 2gr is too heavy for the car, i know MWR did one but my personal opinion is it's too much. Also the 2gr won't fit in the K series variants, only the Toyota engined models.

I have a huge build thread running here if you want to read about it...

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/showth ... otus-Elise
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Time for a little update, i tried to fire the beast up recently and she wouldn't catch.... too many people coming to the garage and wanting to hear it run for 30 secs left it so badly flooded it was drowning in petrol, plus my super rich base maps were making matters worse.

So before Xmas i spent a day taking plugs out and had to set fire to the bores with a gas torch to get them clear.... it was like that scene from "flight of the pheonix" when he uses one of the cartridges to clear the cylinders!

Whooomf! huge flames shooting out of the bores, wish i'd got that on film, it was awesome! Anyway with the bores clear and plugs dry we got her started again, i'd forgotten how loud i'd made this car, and although it's an amazing thing to hear i just don't think i could live with it for more than a mile at a time, it really needs quietening down.

The problem is the single TVR 350 silencer just isn't doing a good enough job, it needs more silencing! Burn the heretic i hear you say... and i agree, it does sound godlike at the moment, but i need to be able to drive this thing.So i've decided to revamp the exhaust system, i've already lost the boot as it is to the TVR box which leaves me a nice space just behind the TVR box to place a secondary silencer.

Hours of trawling Ebay and a crafty bit of bidding and i'm the proud owner of an Audi R8 rear silencer, what better silencer can there be!

It has a perfect notch out of it to fit around my transmission and the plan is to keep the TVR box but plumb the outlets from the TVR box into the inlets of the R8 silencer, that should tone it right down and make it sound fantastic.A little bonus is that the R8 silencer comes with vacuum actuated valves on one of each pair of tailpipes, this is awesome, i can plumb them up to VSV's that i can program from the VEMS to switch at whatever load/rpm i fancy, meaning it will take on a totally different engine howl at higher RPM.... i might even use the output from the current induction VSV (Audis version of TVIS/ACIS etc) so that as the induction note changes so does the exhaust, exciting stuff!

The plan is to hit the project hard again in the new year, i've neglected it a lot, but it needs finishing this year, so watch this space for plenty of updates.
alfiembra

Post by alfiembra »

About bleedin time :D
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Yeah i know, been very busy building other peoples cars this year and had zero time for my own stuff, but she's going to get some major attention now until completion.
Andy137

Post by Andy137 »

Just spent an hour or so reading the creation of this beast! Absolutely fantastic work, this is gonna be one hell of a machine when its finished!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Thankyou Andy, it's been a long project that's for sure.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

A days bodywork doesn't seem to go very far but it's progress all the same, i managed to block down the previous guide coat of high build primer to reveal a few more bellies and ridges in the bodywork, stuff that normally gets left during a regular respray and you'd hardly notice unless you have an eye for this kind of thing, but on this car i'm aiming for perfection on the body and panel gaps which are all going to be mm perfect.

Not a lot to see in these pictures but such is the nature of sanding/filling/sanding/priming etc...

A lot more work done on the bonnet vent, it had quite a wavy front edge due to distortion from welding, i won't be happy until it is marble flat. I also spotted that one of the leading edges of the bonnet vent tapered more at the top by about 2-3mm than the other side, so i've started grafting that to make them equal, again it's stuff the regular man on the street would never notice, but i know it's there.

Got the structural fibral in on the sill edge, this will add a lot of strength to my sideskirts and prevent them cracking.

An overview of progress, i reckon another few skims of filler in certain areas and it will be close to its last high build primer coat, then i'll get some colour onto it.

SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

IMOC or just Toyota should develop a prize to go to the person who gives the most dedication to these cars!!
craig

Post by craig »

Good progress Paul. Going to be excellent! :clap:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Cheers chaps, i'm on a mission now to get it out of its Harlequin colours and looking like it should.
craig

Post by craig »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Cheers chaps, i'm on a mission now to get it out of its Harlequin colours and looking like it should.

:thumleft:

What colour are you going for?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Supra Quicksilver, it's a pearlescent and the fastest colour in the Toyota range :D Already sprayed the engine bay last year so can't even change my mind now, but i love this colour.

craig

Post by craig »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Supra Quicksilver, it's a pearlescent and the fastest colour in the Toyota range :D Already sprayed the engine bay last year so can't even change my mind now, but i love this colour.

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url.photobucket.com/albums/v624/ ... 99-1-1.jpg

Nice choice! I'd love a respray, my tired 17 year old paint is looking a bit rough in places :(
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

More mundane bodywork, the drivers wing arch/bumper area needed more work so i spent a bit of time on that, remember all of this filler is just cosmetic.

The passenger sill/doorstep that was previously fibral'd was sanded and given its first filler layer about 2mm thick.

More work done to the passenger side which is very near to completion...

Final checking of the panel gaps around the wing/bumper/bonnet and lights, all looks good...

I had to remove the windscreen to carry out a top edge roof repair...

It wasn't too badly corroded but worth repairing properly anyway...

Seeing as the screen was out i decided to paint the front dash scuttle, this was originally a blue interior car, so this was the last unreachable area of blue, which is now painted satin black...

Overview of the front end now...

So she's getting there, i think there's maybe 80 hours bodywork left to get it to the standard i'll be happy with.
coanda

Post by coanda »

Top work Paul - really pleased to see you back on this one. My SC will be high road spec when it's done, but my next AW11 will be focused road/track spec and I'll be borrowing some ideas from your car (but not the V8!). Starting to wonder if a Boxster S engine/gbox would fit.

Looking forward to more!

Cheers,

coanda
craig

Post by craig »

That looks fantastic! Credit where credit due fella :clap: :salut:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Thanks chaps, although a lot of this car has been built for function over form i think it should look pretty good.
coanda

Post by coanda »

Its gonna look forkin aswesome - and you know it!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Mini update, this car has never had a rear antiroll bar solution, the fact that the transmission sits right where the stock ARB would go has meant i had no way of getting a Mk1 or Mk2 ARB to work. I've scoured the internet for over a year now looking at hundreds of possible ARB solutions to the problem and had almost given up and was faced with having to have a custom made ARB when i saw this...

That right there is a godsend! It comes from a Nissan Terrano II , has just the right hump in it to clear my gearbox casing and can be mounted right back at the rear of the chassis legs.

How will it affect handling? I honestly don't know or care, after all having an anti roll bar of any description has got to be better than no bar at all. I'll get this fitted next time i work on the car. Total cost of this ARB was £20.
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

Love it Paul! You don't fancy an apprentice mr2 perv willing to work for free do you?! Didn't the USDM S/c have no rear ARB?
Alex
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”