[Mk2] [Generic] Sticking caliper handbrake lever ... any fix?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

HighwayStar

[Mk2] [Generic] Sticking caliper handbrake lever ... any fix?

Post by HighwayStar »

Hi all.

As above really.

Rev1 with Rev3 brakes. My handbrake travel is really high and the brake not as effective I'm sure as it should be (it is pretty firm right at the top).

The garage say it's a sticking handbrake lever on the back of the NSR caliper where the cable attaches rather than stretched old cables. They say it's time for a new/recon calliper.

Are there any other possible solutions?

Any help gratefully received but if nothing presents itself where is recommended for new and recon calipers?

Ta.
platmatt8

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Sticking caliper handbrake lever ... any fix?

Post by platmatt8 »

Biggred.co.uk used to do a refurb programme for the sw20 brakes you could try them.
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

local motor factors should do them exchange
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

So it is a new (or recon) calliper then?

There's no way to address the 'lever' issue short of actually reconditioning the whole thing?

Oh well! The awkward thing is I'll now have to try to match the calliper paint I used all those years ago .... or repaint them all!
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

Hi

Will be reconditioned you could do that yourself I stripped mine down got a refrub kit from a brake place near me they are on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/frentech-uk? ... 7675.l2559

they are near me in Burnley always been very helpful, Mr T Garage in Colne "Vantage" gets brake parts from them !! previous parts manager put me onto them

You need to take time making the adjustment on the rear brakes (that adjustable piston)

"Wind the piston back in so that it fits to your pads making sure that the V lines up with the post on the pad. This stops the piston from rotating. when you press the pedal the internal screw winds the piston out until its is in the right place to your pads."

I every so often sit there jumping on the brake pedal, like a demented whats it... whilst pulling the handbrake up & down keeping the button pressed in,

It seems to keep the handbrake at a respectable angle rather being pleased to see a lady!!!....or what ever makes one so!! ;-)
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

How to cant find on here cant search past one page heres some info from MR2OC.CO.UK

Its written for a MK1 but apt for a MK2

How To:- Adjust the Handbrake/Replace Pads
This technique and information is courtesy of Paul Woods, based on his years of experience and expertise in, repairing and rebuilding MR2 MK1's

Remove both handbrake cables from both calipers, by removing the cotter pins and split pins.

Wind in piston clockwise ALL THE WAY in, then out 180 degrees and line up the notch on the piston with where the pad will be. If it comes out too far and you can't get the caliper back on over the pads, wind the piston back in further than it was before, so that when you wind it out it will line up.

Note: If you wind it in again even by a smidge you will have reset the handbrake mechanism again and the whole proceedure will need repeating, the last action you should perform on the piston is winding it out.
You need to wind in the calipers and then OUT 180 DEGREES to reset the racket on the auto-adjuster... you will notice how they wind in and out at DIFFERENT speeds, this is you observing the TWO mechanisms that come into play.
Do same on other side.

Before fitting the calipers to the car make sure you lubricate the metal slider on the bottom bolt of the caliper, with the caliper off look inside the bottom rubber dust cover and you will see a metal sleeve, push this out, clean it up and lubricate the inside of the rubber before refitting the sleeve.

Fit calipers to car and immediately pump the footbrake 3 or 4 times with cables still off...
Slacken handbrake adjustment (remove centre plastic tray under car) right off.
Reconnect 2 cables to 2 rear callipers using the cotter pins and split pins.
Adjust the handbrake on middle adjuster so it bites on 1/2 clicks and locks by 4/5.
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

Hi heres a detailed guide on refurbishing rear calipers agian written for a MK1 but apt
https://mr2oc.co.uk/know-your2/mk1/94-m ... ipers.html

I would add when undoing banjo unions replace the copper crush washers WITHOUT FAIL

they are cheap enough I always keep a stock
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263600436105

Return to “Mechanical”