[Mk2] [Turbo] Gear change feels stiff ??

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

AdsMr23sge

[Mk2] [Turbo] Gear change feels stiff ??

Post by AdsMr23sge »

My gear change is feeling stiff on my mk2 turbo can anyone recommend what can be done to fix this ?

Feels a bit tight and notchy I have to wriggle it a bit sometimes to get it to move goes in to every gear fine though ,

Any help is appreciated

Cheers
Rob66

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Gear change feels stiff ??

Post by Rob66 »

Mine can do this occasionally too so interested as well. :thumleft:
AdsMr23sge

Post by AdsMr23sge »

Yes mine has quite a bit of play from left to right and also gears can gets bit notchy sometimes it makes me go from 2and to 5th if that makes sense ?
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

the gear lever has 2 cables attached at the bottom to connect it to the gearbox. These cables have rubber bushes at either end that have a brass bush inside. These bushes can go ovoid and cause an imprecise movement.

Additionally at the gearbox end they are open to the elements and moisture and grime could potentially get into the cable sheath.

The good news is that the rubber bushes can be replaced easily with readily available polybush or bearing kits.

Not sure about the turbo box but the n/a box has a brass cube in the linkage levers mechanism that wears and causes shifting problems.
AdsMr23sge

Post by AdsMr23sge »

I see any idea where I can get some new bushings/parts to solve the problem ? I'm going to change my gearbox oil to Castrol syntrans aswell , I heard about brass bushings but was told these arht the best to use is that right ? Just a little confused at the moment on what I need to buy
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

AdsMr23sge wrote:I see any idea where I can get some new bushings/parts to solve the problem ? I'm going to change my gearbox oil to Castrol syntrans aswell , I heard about brass bushings but was told these arht the best to use is that right ? Just a little confused at the moment on what I need to buy

I think the first thing you ought to do is pop the gear lever trim off and see what the state of the bushes is like.

If you can get access to them check at the gearbox end also.

If any of them are shot then go ahead and order something to replace them.

If you are doing both ends of the gear cables then you might be best to use polybush inserts. If you are only doing gearbox end then you can use bearings or brass bushes. Ideally leaving the OEM bushes at the gearstick end stops a bit of the vibration.

I used the bearings at the box end and it transformed the change.

As for. Gearbox oil I used some fully synth stuff from eBay of the correct grade that really helped a little crunch I had into 2nd. If I get time I'll find a link. Iirc it was £25 for 5 ltrs
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

Cheers for the info, I'll remove my gear leaver surround and take a look at the weekend.

:thumleft:
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121617362859

This is the stuff I used

Top tip..... Make sure you can undo the fill plug before removing the drain plug
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

Cheers. :D
Chumbaside

Post by Chumbaside »

I just had a similar issue when moving my track car for the first time this year. So much so that my gear lever would stick where it was and it wouldn't self centre...

Turned out to be a combination of cable end bearings worn AND the metal bush in the pivoting the 'bell crank' being worn too.

This is my bell crank. It didn't look like this when I took it out, this is after I blasted and painted it:

Underneath the rubber cap there is a nut, undo and separate the two parts. Mine were quite seized, preventing the gear selector shaft springs in the gearbox from centring.

Bought a set of these from GT4-Play to replace the worn out nylon bush:
https://gt4-play.co.uk/shop/gear-link-bushes

Then bought a set of gear cable bushes from Brookes Racing Developments (you can also buy from GT4-Play too):

Here you can see my freshly painted, newly bushed bell crank reinstalled in the engine bay. To gain access, you will need to remove the starter enough to get to the bolts on the gearbox. Not a hard job, just two 14mm bolts secure it.

Whilst you have the bell crank out, check the little square bush that sits between it and the selector lever in the transmission. If it's worn, tun it around 90 degrees or replace with new. Again GT4-Play can provide those too.

Hopefully that helps you. It has made a huge difference and I think the poybushes are better than the skateboard bearings I used last time around as they allow for the twisting motion of the cables.

Have fun!

:thumleft:

Return to “Mechanical”