[Mk2] [Turbo] Catch can/breather

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Race Idiot

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Catch can/breather

Post by Race Idiot »

Yeah but what are yer oil temps like anyway? On the road I find it difficult to get temps over 100c

On track was getting the oil to around 130c without the cooler, which was still within spec for a good quality synthetic but pushing it.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I'm not sure to be honest. I have the gauge but i still need to install the sensor. Same with oil pressure. The short story is the clip holding the wires for the sensors snapped leaving the wires directly under my dump tube so they were melted. It's something i intend to fix.

Also, Totally hijacked this thread. Apologies :oops:
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Ryan S wrote:I'm not sure to be honest. I have the gauge but i still need to install the sensor. Same with oil pressure. The short story is the clip holding the wires for the sensors snapped leaving the wires directly under my dump tube so they were melted. It's something i intend to fix.

Also, Totally hijacked this thread. Apologies :oops:

It's all good haha. I'm gonna go with a catch can and see how it goes :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Having thought about it I can't see why it would be an issue. The PCV valve is just to stop boost going back into the head from the intake. So routing it to a catch can shouldn't be a problem. Tempted to do the same now!
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

I ditched the pcv on mine, blanked off the hole in the intake mani and ran both cam cover lines to a catch can. Catch can is vented currently but means there's always a fine oily residue around that part of the engine bay. Either need to baffle the can better or run a drain to the block like the oem catch can instead of venting.

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

JAAASH wrote:I ditched the pcv on mine, blanked off the hole in the intake mani and ran both cam cover lines to a catch can. Catch can is vented currently but means there's always a fine oily residue around that part of the engine bay. Either need to baffle the can better or run a drain to the block like the oem catch can instead of venting.

sure, i was reading up on some american posts where people had said, get a large capacity catch can with a breather, but ensure its baffled. presume its to stop that light dusting of oil your getting.

which catch can you running?
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Custom can. Made it myself and got a local welder to melt it all together.

Equium Duo

Post by Equium Duo »

Are you draining into the sump or just holding onto it?
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

I'm currently just holding onto it with my setup but I may well change it in future. Done with the thought of tidying up the engine bay. If i find that excessive amounts of oil are building up in it then I'll route it back into the block as per oem. Actually need to put miles on the car for that to potentially become an issue though 8-[

Return to “Mechanical”