How should I fit my 6x9s? Advice needed please.

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rory

How should I fit my 6x9s? Advice needed please.

Post by Rory »

So far I have an Alpine head unit powering some front Infinity components. I have disconnected my standard rear speakers and sub becuase they sounded shocking! I have just got some infinity 6x9s and im going to fit them behind the seats. I dont really want to cut into the cubby holes (incase I sell and want to put the car back to standard). My plan is to build some shoe box size boxes to mount the speakers into and place these ontop of the cubby boxes behind the seats. Will this work? Should I seal these boxes or leave holes in the sides of the boxes? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Rory
michael

Re: How should I fit my 6x9s? Advice needed please.

Post by michael »

Just take the lids off, keep them safe and replace with MDF:

http://www.megaboost.co.uk/old/pics/mr2/mycar/speakers/
robbie lamb

Post by robbie lamb »

Hi Rory,
TBH fella it,s not really worth putting them in mate your just getting nice sound directed at your ar$e. If you have got a decent amp running the components all you really need is a decent sub to go behind the seat and an amp for it, trust me if you put in 6x9's in and expect similar base levels to them being fitted on to a parcel shelf in a hatchback you will be disapointed because they are not designed to move air in small enclosures. If you really want some speakers in the back have the speakers put into the front of the cubby holes (will need some cutting of metal though). or get another set of components and place them in the same place as mentioned b4 and place the tweeters on the roof or on the sides above the head for better sound harmonics hope this helps,
Regards,
Robbie Lamb
Rory

Post by Rory »

Thanks Michael. Dont know why I didnt think of that! What did your system sound like with your components and 6x9s?? Did you run your speakers from an amp?

Rory
Rory

Post by Rory »

robbie lamb wrote:, trust me if you put in 6x9's in and expect similar base levels to them being fitted on to a parcel shelf in a hatchback you will be disapointed because they are not designed to move air in small enclosures.

Robbie,

Will the 6x9s sound better if I mount them and put holes in the original rear cubby box fronts? Ive got the 6x9s now so i might aswell use them. I havent got money for a sub or amp yet but hopefully by the summer I will certainly get an amp to power my front components.

Rory
michael

Post by michael »

Rory wrote:Thanks Michael. Dont know why I didnt think of that! What did your system sound like with your components and 6x9s?? Did you run your speakers from an amp?

Rory

It wasn't a full on bass stormer head messing experience but it was vastly improved over the standard setup and on a budget under £100.

The only amplification was the 4x25 on the head unit, all speakers were installed with the standard speaker wires, the 6x9s were installed using the cable from the silly little standard rear speakers.

Improvements could have been made and more money could have been invested but for a few quid and an afternoon it made enough difference for me to be happy.

With the MR2 being so small inside a set of good components in the door that are staged correctly would be enough for most people - Paul Port has Focals in his and it sounds amazing. It depends what you want though, huge bass or a nice respectable upgrade, I regard subs as being overkill in an MR2 but others insist you need them :)
robbie lamb

Post by robbie lamb »

the speakers will be ok if you put them on the tops of the box just make sure you bolt the boxes down properly and maybe put some foam or silicon on the edges of the lid to stop any vibrations, or just remove the lids and make your own MDF shelves which will be more sturdier hope this helps bud :)
Robbie.
Last edited by robbie lamb on Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rory

Post by Rory »

Thanks Robbie/Michael. Ill fit my new speakers next weekend. Im not after massive bass just a good sounding system anyway.

Rory
robbie lamb

Post by robbie lamb »

No worries fella just hope I have helped :wink:
Robbie.
ryan

Post by ryan »

Hmm,
I've got some infinity 6x9 's set in MDF in my rear cubbys, but i'm not impressed at all. In fact I recon the active speaker system in my old n/a was superior.
The speakers are run by an underbonnet 300watt pioneer amp, and the shoulder height speakers are disconnected due to possible distortion.
The sound is quite weak, and you really need to crank the volume up to get any base and mid range. The headunit is a 3 year old Kenwood by the way.

Return to “ICE and Security”