Interference from DVD Changer?

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

axisofunity

Interference from DVD Changer?

Post by axisofunity »

So, I've got my nice new ICE installed, but there's one problem which I hoped that someone on here could help me with.

When the engine is not running, everything is fine, great pictures, great sounds, but I bet the battery hates me.

When the engine runs however and a DVD is played as my revs increase a very high pitched (not quiet, but not loud and very annoying) whine is heard from the engine compartment...

I presume this is interference from the changer (located in the boot) as it sends it's signal past the engine bay. Also it is located on the passenger's side, is the ECU there, could it be affecting that? (as I mention below though, no loss of power or electrics or anything)

My questions are:

0) Is interference the real problem? (The car plays CDs from the CD changer behind the passenger seat just fine)

1) How do I shield the wiring to stop the interference

2) What kind of damage is this doing to my engine if I run the DVD player while the engine is on... (There's no loss in performance or strange noises apart from this whine....)

I chose to have the DVD in the boot due to already having things behind my seats... So a move isn't a real option unless there's no choice....

Help please? :)
Goldy

Re: Interference from DVD Changer?

Post by Goldy »

Check your ground wiring for the DVD player? Dodgy earths on stereo equipment can do stuff like that....

Thats bout the only thing i can think of unless you've wired it up to the ignition system or something lol
DeusMR2

Post by DeusMR2 »

This comes up every few months and the answer is always the same, the interference is coming from the power steering pump which is on the other side of the bulkhead just behind your headunit.

Solutions known to work are:

1. Ground the headunit to a a different ground point with a shielded cable

or

2. My solution (assuming youre using the stock speaker wiring in the car) which was to connect the speaker earths to the headunit earth. This method was actually on the old IMOC website but noone seems to mention it!
axisofunity

Post by axisofunity »

DeusMR2 wrote:This comes up every few months and the answer is always the same, the interference is coming from the power steering pump which is on the other side of the bulkhead just behind your headunit.

Solutions known to work are:

1. Ground the headunit to a a different ground point with a shielded cable

or

2. My solution (assuming youre using the stock speaker wiring in the car) which was to connect the speaker earths to the headunit earth. This method was actually on the old IMOC website but noone seems to mention it!

ahah... But I have no power steering *_^ 1990 Rev 1 MK2.....

It must just not be earthed properly I suppose... I'll get it checked tomorrow.
Raf

Post by Raf »

in the olden days i used to fit a suppressor (spelling and also not sure on the name!) on the earth/power cable (cant remeber which). That used to sort the sound out. Try a better earth cable???

Return to “Electrical”