Suggestion for a group buy on carbon bonnets MR2 Mk2

Forum For IMOC Group Buys

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

inky

Suggestion for a group buy on carbon bonnets MR2 Mk2

Post by inky »

Hi

Unsure who to have PM'd about this so I am posting here and hoping it will get noticed or moved to the appropriate section.

I've seen carbon fibre bonnets (hoods) on ebay US, prices at $336 which (roughly) is only £160-170

However postage is $600! This is because the postal service used goes by the size of the package and not the weight.

Its now been suggested we could get a group buy together and split the postage.

I don't know how many they would fit into their package so whoever can organise this should find out from them. But if they can fit 6 bonnets thats $100 each (£55-60)

Grand total for a bonnet each would then be around £230, which sounds good to me.

If anyone wants to follow up on this and contact the ebay seller, their ID is tunersoutlet. They say that we would be responsible for any import duties and so on, so who would know about those?

I hope this can be done! If not - well it was worth asking \:D/
THE DUKE

Re: Suggestion for a group buy on carbon bonnets MR2 Mk2

Post by THE DUKE »

Yes please.... im sure atleast 10 people will buy one for 200 quid(ish)

See if they will do discount
tubby_mr2

Post by tubby_mr2 »

def in for this
ben.g

Post by ben.g »

for £230 whats the quality like?
inky

Post by inky »

Its not even £230 though is it? Its £170. The rest is postage.

If you look on ebay US you will find lots of places doing vented bonnets and so on, for around 450 - 500 dollars, which is equal to around £220 - £250. These seem to be fairly consistent prices. Postage is always high though.

However if a group buy could be arranged the postage would get shared out and we'd all incur a little of the postage cost.

From their feedback ratings this seller seems to be doing quite well in the carbon fibre quality market.

I am volunteering myself as a buyer, if 5 others come foward and want to take the gamble with me, lets do it :)

PS It will NOT be be organising the buy, someone else will have to do that, but I am putting my name down for one as I think its worth the risk. For all we know the seller might not co-operate.
DARRYN

Post by DARRYN »

Just a point to consider. If you have a load shipped over in one container, then you still have to distribute these out to al buyers, adding on postage /courier costs this end which in fainess would have to be shared out equally, so that's probably another £50 a head .
Worth thinking about .
inky

Post by inky »

Yep I had thought of that. The easiest way would be to have them delivered to either a central point of the UK so we all travel an equal distance (sort of). Or, have them delivered to a house and arrange pick ups. Or, take them to something like JAE 2007 and let the buyers have them then? That might be a long way away and some would want them faster.

Anyway its all academic for now as I haven't heard back from the seller.
inky

Post by inky »

I had an email back...

The most he can post is two at a time.

$600 postage shared between two buyers = $300 + $336 for the item (eBay 250070004697) = $636. Which is about £315 each.

There may be import tax or some such extra on top. I don't know how that is worked out.

Its still cheaper than the prices you get in UK, but it isn't quite the super-buy I was hoping it would turn into :(
draz1k

Post by draz1k »

why cant he post more than 2 at a time, id be willing to go in for one of those, is it a stnadard bonnet or the one with the gay cut outs and mesh?
inky

Post by inky »

Its for this one:

He's got two others which are higher priced but for the $ this one seems good enough.

I have asked him if he can make it 3 in a package. That way, its $336 for the item and $200 shipping, - $536 = £265 approx. Plus any import duty we need to work out.

Return to “Group Buys - MR2 related”