Rev3 Turbo Vs VW Golf R32

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rowland

Rev3 Turbo Vs VW Golf R32

Post by Rowland »

Had a play with one of these from a standing start this morning.
Lights are on red ....the R32 is sat behind me having been tailgating for a mile or so.
Lights turn to green...and I dump the clutch around 4-5 k and give it 10/10ths with the Golf behind doing exactly the same.
A glance in the mirror at 60 and I'm feeling quite smug, he's at least 4-5 car lengths behind...a little faster still and he's still dropping back further.
Roundabout ahead and the Golf slows down very very quickly, far quicker than my car. He pulls alongside as he turns right giving a small wave and a nod too.

£25.000 worth of Golf beaten by a 10 year old Toyota costing a 1/4 of that!
Anybody know much about these? I'm guessing it was a genuine R32 240 ish BHP? 4x4?

:D
Fizzy

Re: Rev3 Turbo Vs VW Golf R32

Post by Fizzy »

transmission losses of at least 90 bhp....
briforbes

Post by briforbes »

They weigh LOADS! I beat one of these at Crail at the start of the year quite easily, and one of the 4motion's as well. Seem to be quick once they're rolling though?
Hedgehog Dodger

Post by Hedgehog Dodger »

Well done fella.

There quite good from 60+ as torque monsters.

:twisted:
Gefunk

Post by Gefunk »

260bhp 3.2 v6 they are a heavy car but do look hard, they a m'way stormers not really super car steeds

Gav
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Gefunk wrote:260bhp 3.2 v6 they are a heavy car but do look hard, they a m'way stormers not really super car steeds

Gav

Is that 2WD or 4WD do you know?

:lol:
jonno

Post by jonno »

Rowland_W wrote:Had a play with one of these from a standing start this morning.
Lights are on red ....the R32 is sat behind me having been tailgating for a mile or so.
Lights turn to green...and I dump the clutch around 4-5 k and give it 10/10ths with the Golf behind doing exactly the same.
A glance in the mirror at 60 and I'm feeling quite smug, he's at least 4-5 car lengths behind...a little faster still and he's still dropping back further.
Roundabout ahead and the Golf slows down very very quickly, far quicker than my car. He pulls alongside as he turns right giving a small wave and a nod too.

£25.000 worth of Golf beaten by a 10 year old Toyota costing a 1/4 of that!
Anybody know much about these? I'm guessing it was a genuine R32 240 ish BHP? 4x4?

:D

If it was around Leicester he is probably used to being overtaken by MR2's by now - A silver one tried to overtake me on Thursday morning on the way in to Carlton Park - what a mistake, a lovelly dry sunny morning with loads of grip. Overtook him whilst he was still completing his overtake manouvre then pulled about half a mile on him between Desford and Narbourough back roads, what a lovelly start to christmas :)
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

jonno wrote:
If it was around Leicester he is probably used to being overtaken by MR2's by now - A silver one tried to overtake me on Thursday morning on the way in to Carlton Park - what a mistake, a lovelly dry sunny morning with loads of grip. Overtook him whilst he was still completing his overtake manouvre then pulled about half a mile on him between Desford and Narbourough back roads, what a lovelly start to christmas :)

Yes it was Neil. It was on the A50 heading towards Leicester town centre.
I always thought the R32 was in the same league as an Impreza to be honest.
Although I'm yet to have a proper play with a Scooby, I'm left thinking it's possibly not in the same league after all!
Gefunk

Post by Gefunk »

Sorry yeah forgot to say it is 4wd (same as the 4 motion) 0-6s around 60 and does 1/4s in 14s

Gav
screech

Post by screech »

i beat one of these a couple of months back, he had a 15-20 car headstart but i still caught him up and overtook him at ***
michael

Post by michael »

Just be careful if you come across one with HPA badges on it, twin turbo, twin intercooler and close to 550bhp, looks standard though.

I really like the R32s and looked into getting one until I realised how stupid the pricing was, fantastic cars but as standard it can't justify it's hefty list price even if it does have a great exhaust note and decent enough performance.
jonno

Post by jonno »

michael wrote:Just be careful if you come across one with HPA badges on it, twin turbo, twin intercooler and close to 550bhp, looks standard though.

I really like the R32s and looked into getting one until I realised how stupid the pricing was, fantastic cars but as standard it can't justify it's hefty list price even if it does have a great exhaust note and decent enough performance.

Yes I remember how good it sounded as I was overtaking it :)
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
pizza boy

Post by pizza boy »

My local shell garage owner has an R32 and I utterly smash it on a regular basis we usually have a laugh about it. I've stopped now as I told him its prolly his ploy to make me waste petrol hence more money for him lol!. It truly is NOT in the same league. More of a tourer if anything heh.
Rowland W..Subarus are not so quick either..so damn overrated I use em as warmup at Crail raceway. Most pull very early 14s...best ive seen is mid 13s. Im including Type R editions here too AND the Type UK. They are not str8 line cars at all. But they are brilliant to drive on cunnery roads...and the sound...glug glug glug...BRAAAAAAAH!!! Lav eet.
screech

Post by screech »

aren't the 4wd systems quite fragile, so 550bhp more than likely it'll break 4wd and have to be fwd after all?
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

First I've ever heard of a R32 - HPA. The stats' are pretty impressive!
0-60 in 3.2 seconds... :batman:

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/ne ... 32-hpa.htm
Patrick Gray

Post by Patrick Gray »

I have raced a couple of these.One on the motorway which i got passed and left behind pretty convincingly and another through some twisties.On the second occassion i was again behind from the start and the further we went i was actually losing ground,seemed to handle very well.
ryan_s3

Post by ryan_s3 »

I have the same 4wd system(haldex) on my audi s3 as the r32 and my transmission losses were 59bhp on owens rollers.But they are heavy ,my door probably weighs more than a mk1 mr2.
DeusMR2

Post by DeusMR2 »

ryan_s3 wrote:my door probably weighs more than a mk1 mr2.

lol :lol:
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

You'd be suprised about imprezas. Most of em are pretty slow as theres loads of boggo 2.0l turbos about.

A mate had a WRX 300hp and it flew. It was an animal 0-60 in the mid fours! Not many MR2's could match that......................and before I get attacked I said not many, not none!
michael

Post by michael »

There are a few signed up for the Trackday at Elvington, why not come along and see how they go?

Return to “Driving Experiences”