Whats wrong with my speedo!!

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bex

Whats wrong with my speedo!!

Post by bex »

My speedo doesn't work i have changed the nylon cog thing in the gear box, aswell as the speedo sensor, also the actual speedo in thedash it'sself still no life??? All other dials work fine hasanyone got thisproblem and does any one know how to fix it help please??? :x
nightSpirit

Re: Whats wrong with my speedo!!

Post by nightSpirit »

is your car a revision 2? if so...I didn't think they were electronic but mechanical. I would say (fairly certain) that the actual driving gear in the box that then drives the gear for the speedo sender (or something) has gone...or the cable has gone (if it's mechanical). I'd go with the gear in the box as it's the usual culprit. Save yourself money and just buy a revision 3 gearbox and fit that (I did)
bex

Post by bex »

Hi it is a rev 2 but is also electronic have changed that gearbox piece and still doesn't work so far ive spent about £300 trying to find the problem even toyota don't know
nightSpirit

Post by nightSpirit »

well if it's electronic, the gear in the box is replaced (not the one that attaches to the sender unit)..the sender unit gear is replaced..it sounds like a dodgy connection somewhere?. Have you tried attaching a drill to the speedo sender and spinning it whilst watching the dash to see if it moves?
bex

Post by bex »

Good idea how do i goabout doing that sorry i have no clue about engines and stuff cheers mate
nightSpirit

Post by nightSpirit »

do you know how to remove the speedo sender unit from the gearbox? if you get the back of the car in the air, look at the back of the gearbox on the passenger ish side...you should see a small box bolting into the gearbox with 2 (if I remember right) bolts. Think they are 10 mm...or 8? just undo both of those, it's a fiddly job and requires some twisting of the unit as you remove it..but when it's out...just start the car as normal, then try spinning the white cog with your fingers fairly hard...look through the back window to the dash and see if the speedo needle twitches...if it does you know the problem is in the gearbox, if it doesn't...you know it's either the sender unit itself, or the wiring through to the dash which is a b1tch.
alan wheeldon

Post by alan wheeldon »

if its an import your kmh to mph convertor could have packed in.

Mine stopped working so i just by passed the convertor and it now works (in kmh though)
bex

Post by bex »

Finally sorted after nearly 6 months it was a faulty wire in the loom behind the dash.
nightSpirit

Post by nightSpirit »

bingo...electrical faults are a right pain in the ar$e...mums old s13 had a similar problem, so we sold it lol.

Return to “Electrical”