Mk1b, sub?

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

sadako

Mk1b, sub?

Post by sadako »

Greetings, I am trying to work out the best place to put a small sub in a mk1b. I'm not looking for massive bass but some improvement in tonality would be nice. I'm also trying to figure out what a good replacement for the tiny post speakers would be.

I have heard that some mk1s have subs under the seats, is it worth me looking for these at scrapyards?
disco stu k

Re: Mk1b, sub?

Post by disco stu k »

You can try scrappies, but at 15 yr old speaker may not be in the best shape!
I've seen a few with 8" subs in small boxes (mine inc) behind the passanger seat, witha small amp running it, ok not that small, but you know what i mean, i put MTX direct fittment speakers in the rear posts, they're capped so they don't go pop, but give mid to high response for stereo imaging, even at 2 ohms, 50 RMS there ok.

So take you pick, if you want standard speak to Crasylegs Kev Crane as he has recently done his, if you want mad i belive Tony G was going full trottle ear melting on his. If you best full rich sound, i know a bit.
All depends what the aim is mate!

stu
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

The sub was only present in MK1a's (85-86). Its definately not worth bothering with in all honesty.

Getting some different front speakers will improve things and you could fit a sub behind the seat. Believe there is a thread on here somewhere where it was done:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2550

pics seemed to have dissapeared though.

I run an amp with some compact but beefy blaupunkt pod speakers. Its not going to win any competition but seems to be sufficient enough to drown out me singing to Dildo etc..
sadako

Post by sadako »

I found one in the yard but couldnt get it out from under the seat. Just part of the experiment really, I can always build a slimline sub box assuming I can find suitable speakers. Speakers for the pillars are really gonna be a royal pain to find but i'm keeping my eyes peeled.

I'm not keen on putting the subs behind the seat as I'm fairly tall and have the seat almost all the way back, seems to be plenty of room under the seats currently occupied by maps, my cup holder, and all the rubbish I cant get to
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

have a word with tony JINXED froude he has just put a new one under his front seat .dead easy to fit and is just the right hieght.cant remember the make though.the standard toyota ones on the early cars dont do jack but you can usually get a couple of quid in change from underneath.bonus!
[email protected]
sadako

Post by sadako »

Would the housing still be useful? I might get a few quid off the scrappy if I just present the speaker box, assuming I can get it out of the car.
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

Lauren wrote:The sub was only present in MK1a's (85-86). Its definately not worth bothering with in all honesty.

Getting some different front speakers will improve things and you could fit a sub behind the seat. Believe there is a thread on here somewhere where it was done:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2550

pics seemed to have dissapeared though.

I run an amp with some compact but beefy blaupunkt pod speakers. Its not going to win any competition but seems to be sufficient enough to drown out me singing to Dildo etc..

Eh hmmm.. :lol: ...look what you've typed Lauren..... :shock: :lol:
Great info on the speakers all. I maybe using this info over this year sometime.

Return to “ICE and Security”