Speakers

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rich

Speakers

Post by Rich »

Need to upgrade the speakers. Currently have 2 Genesys 6x9 subs behind the seats in the cubbys but the others are standard.

Whats best? Fit perfectly.

Cheers
Ian Geary

Re: Speakers

Post by Ian Geary »

I recently fitted some infinity 60.5 cs component speakers in the front of my '2.

The woofers are 16.5cm (6.5") and fitted perfectly into the door using the spacers provided by infinity.

The tweeters fitted into the factory slot in front of the wing mirror fine, but getting the wing mirror screws out was a complete pain in the ar$e! I ended up drilling them out!

I stuck the cross over unit inside the door, so it all fitted perfectly.

The sound quality is great too, but at £150 there are probably cheaper ones on the market.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Cheers, I had heard them ones are good just couldnt remember what they were lol.

Wingmirror screws come out easy for me (just been taken apart and resprayed aint she lol)

Think I will invest in a set of these. Is it just the tweeters and door speakers not back ones too or do you get back ones too?

Gonna have to run new speaker cables to them all too cus my wiring at the mo has been butchered big time. I got power cable going to my rear speakers!! :roll:

Cheapest place to get these babies from?
KiwiMR2

Post by KiwiMR2 »

Assuming you have "decent" front speakers there will be no point in fitting 4's in the back, you won't really here them.

Cheers
KiwiMR2
Jonty

Consider some rear 6x9's

Post by Jonty »

KiwiMR2 wrote:Assuming you have "decent" front speakers there will be no point in fitting 4's in the back, you won't really here them.

Yup, very true -- the standard rear speakers are for rear fill only and don't offer much punch. I've even added some 13cm jobbies (after some cutting) and they're not much better. If you want some speakers behind you that offer a bit of grunt then consider fitting some 6x9's, although you'll need to work a solution, but it's worth it in the end;

http://www.sopertek.co.uk/mr2/mods/ice/os6x9fitted.jpg
http://www.sopertek.co.uk/mr2/mods/ice/ns6x9fitted.jpg

Unfortunately at the time I just couldn't lay my hands on the right coloured carpet. :(

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jonty.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Well I got me some Genesis componants now, so just about to fit them. Should work well with the 6x9 subs too.
Castlegrayskull

Post by Castlegrayskull »

wing mirror screws need to be heated to 60 degree's before they will come out ... they have a special gluey type thing on them :)
Rich

Post by Rich »

Ah well, I did it the easy way and heated them to about that..... using the 12V battery drill lol. New tweeters are bigger anyway so them screws arent needed.

Return to “ICE and Security”