How does a supercharger become a twincharger?

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

How does a supercharger become a twincharger?

Post by tonigmr2 »

Just a short introduction now, but I will be posting a full account plus detailed photos as we go along. :)

I bought my 1987 Supercharger with just under 50K miles on the clock in November 2000 time. I won't say too much about the 'dealer' I bought it off, but suffice to say the alternator packed up on the way home and the car has needed a lot of work to get it right too...(!)

I bought the car mainly standard, it had some aftermarket wheels on and very hard japanese suspension. Yes I've spent a lot (the garage outlines that!) I didn't realise how much until the garage arrived....but remember it's over 5 years so it's not like I'm a lottery winner, and I'm also not a 'sit on your bottom and pay the money' person either, I've done a good deal to the car myself.

How it looked in it's first year.

ENGINE
In the first year I spent time 'getting it right'. That included renewing all the ignition components (from plugs to copper cap, magnecor leads etc., major fluid and oil changes, cambelt, all the basics). A friend and I did most of this, I only gave up with the cambelt!
Arguably the most important things you can do IMHO is get the basics running 100% first, I do this with all the cars I buy. Plus a couple little mods like a TRD thermostat. Dynoed at 145bhp on the button at this point.

Added induction kit (Blitz mesh - yes now reported as a poor filter but at the time not much else was going) and exhaust (quality buy - 2nd hand custom exhaust from another owner who couldn't stand the noise!). Amazingly the car then dynoed at 160bhp on the same dyno.

Then I added a Fensport Pulley - significant change in power delivery and new dyno figure of 180bhp. This is basically the best you can do on a fairly standard set-up for an SC....give or take 5bhp or so IMHO. A boost gauge fitted at the time shows a healthy 12-13psi, the stock engine in the car is a good one!

More to come.
T
Last edited by tonigmr2 on Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Re: How does a supercharger become a twincharger?

Post by tonigmr2 »

GEARBOX

The next thing I spotted was a 'limited' run of Quaife ATB LSDs. These appealed to me as the differential progressively locks as torque increases; there are no plates or clutches to wear out as more conventional limited-slip designs. There were many other reasons too, promises of better acceleration, traction, handling, steering and the most hardy thing I had ever seen. When it arrived it was so beautiful I wanted to frame it. :D The engineering is incredible, I find it hard to believe this would ever wear out...

So in it went. OK so the first thing that happened was it fried the clutch. :shock: New standard clutch - four years/5K miles later all is well.

There is no doubt in my mind this was a major improvement. The car drifts in a very controllable way and puts the power down nicely. Coupled with a TRD shortshifter and only my base level engine mods I put in a 15.5 on the strip - with my spare wheel, toolbox and a 5litre full can of petrol on board. :D

The gearbox is otherwise the standard E51 - apparently good for 300bhp as it shares the internals with the rev1 turbo (yes the same Quaife fits both btw). HOWEVER, whether it'll last with the TC conversion is another thing. I asked Quaife to quote on a six speed sequential for the TC - good news yes they can do it!! Bad news £7K please...OK maybe next year. :wink: Current plan is to get the TC up and running, and see how long the gearbox will last!! Obviously the clutch and flywheel are going to be upgraded (custom flywheel and Helix clutch probably), but it'll be interesting to see how much the E51 WILL take.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Minor upgrade at this point included polyflex bushes. Now it might have been because the standard ones were ~15yrs old but without a doubt these were a massive improvement to the handling of the car. It felt crisper, lighter, more responsive, improved in every way. So much so I boiled my brake fluid on the 5 mile drive home.... :shock:

I also (with a friend) dismantled the brakes, flushed with 5.1 fluid and tried to wind in the rear caliper pistsons only to find they wouldn't go all the way in...(no we didn't have an SST, we used pliars!). One set of re-con rear calipers later (painted yellow along with the fronts) with trick Chris Wilson pads. Found already fitted stainless hoses so that was cool. Annoyingly we knackered the master cylinder doing it (yes it travelled too far in bleeding) - tip here is not to do that! So after all that brakes were worse than when we started...and for about 3 years after until I realised there was a problem with the rear spring mechanism in the re-con calipers my brakes were terrible. Symptoms were no real 'bite', pumped up OK so not a servo fault, on replacement it was much better. APs came later. :wink:

Next I went a bit wheels and bodykit mad. :oops: Won't mention it much :D Bought a bodykit from a dealer in Ireland for roughly £1K who then promptly went broke...luckily I still got my stuff. Took two months to arrive from the USA, originally supplied by Erebuni.

Bought 15" Superleggera wheels on A539s - lighter than I had before (the Diablos) in fact lighter than stock. Also improved handling IMHO.

Car now looked like this.

Before anyone asks, no, the rear spoiler didn't do anything. :wink:
People often ask where I got the graphics 'idea' from. The answer is Pheonix Power and their Hyper 7 car

I just liked it OK!

T
Last edited by tonigmr2 on Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

At this point fate intervened.

An original HKS twincharger kit came up for sale, bought brand new from HKS USA in 1996 and never used. :shock: Not just that either, but everything you could want to upgrade a 4agze engine.

HKS stroker crank, TRD (carillo) rods, HKS forged pistons, HKS cams, HKS headgasket...levin block. Even though I was on my way to Cyprus I rang the guy constantly on my mobile, emailed him and basically a thousand phone calls later and as I was walking to the 'plane to board he agreed to not sell it until I got home a week later. And he kept to his word, so I kept to mine and offered him a good price for the whole kit and caboodle. So it became mine.

Enormous T3 turbo!!

Two things bothered me. First the manifold which was a Corolla 'uppy' whereas the MR2s were typically 'downies'. But it fits. :)

Secondly - would we get 90s electrics working....in the bottom photo is what makes this kit special. The little square box with a black object sitting on top of it in top right (the 'supercharger controller') and some of the bypass valves for the system with the HKS pipework. The heart of a twincharger and why it's a nightmare to get them right.

The SC controller basically will shut off the SC when the turbo comes on boost, thus reducing power drain and the bypass valves direct the boost from either the SC or turbo....yes it is complicated.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Next stage was to spec out the engine. With the TC kit I also got

HKS stroker crank
TRD (carillo) Rods
HKS forged pistons
HKS cams (fairly mild, 256 intake and exhaust)
HKS Headgasket

And a later Levin block. Why is that so special? Well more oil squirters than the standard AW11 gze for starters.

Anyway a damn good start to the engine spec. But I was missing caps, valves, a head and various other bits and peices. Then I heard a rumour the stroker crank doesn't fit the gze block!! (It does, just requires a little machining :twisted: ). Note the picture...

Went on the advice of my engine builder at the time and bought some TRD OS valves (apparently now discontinued, managed to get them from a supplier who had 'new' 'old' stock), steel caps and a later small port head. I went for this over the larger ports as they apparently produce more torque. The proof will be in the pudding...

At the time I absolutely was kicking myself as I missed out on some HKS 550cc injectors on ebay, aaarrgghh! Luckily more recently LimeyMK1 (Chris, cheers mate) spotted some Nippon Denso 560ccs that would fit my fuel rail...so I bought those instead.

The engine is currently built....piccy of bottom end

Head which is now ported, polished, flowed, etc. etc.
T
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Next nightmare is sorting out the bypass piping!!

Note the HKS pulley (which run at 10psi) - yes oversized from normal but not as big as the Fensport (13psi give or take). You might ask why go for something more conservative at this stage - well basically as it's HKS it fits in with the kit, but more importantly I don't think it will matter much in the great scheme of things. 8)

T
EarL

Post by EarL »

Looks mightily impressive Toni. What are you final goals for the project in terms of HP/torque?
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Wellll, I know what I am hoping for :D Engine builder has predicted 300bhp and 300lb/ft torque on a 'normal' road fuel map. I've seen TCs in the states make 360bhp and do quarter miles in just over 11secs....but the truth is the spec I have has never been done before (stroker crank with TC kit) so it's all a bit of a guessing game. It will be an animal once the T3 kicks in though. :twisted:

I should know within the next three to four weeks :mrgreen: I have ordered a Radtec Chargecooler from Rogue, once it arrives (damn factory downtime!!) then we're ready to do our first mapping apparently!!

Clutch (custom spec Helix) is being specc'd and ordered. Installation has been 'booked' so the car is ready for JAE....here's hoping. [-o<

T
EarL

Post by EarL »

tonigmr2 wrote:Wellll, I know what I am hoping for :D Engine builder has predicted 300bhp and 300lb/ft torque on a 'normal' road fuel map. I've seen TCs in the states make 360bhp and do quarter miles in just over 11secs....but the truth is the spec I have has never been done before (stroker crank with TC kit) so it's all a bit of a guessing game. It will be an animal once the T3 kicks in though. :twisted:

I should know within the next three to four weeks :mrgreen: I have ordered a Radtec Chargecooler from Rogue, once it arrives (damn factory downtime!!) then we're ready to do our first mapping apparently!!

Clutch (custom spec Helix) is being specc'd and ordered. Installation has been 'booked' so the car is ready for JAE....here's hoping. [-o<

T

Wow! That's going to be some motor when it's finished. Can't wait to see it at JAE. =D> 8)

tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

More info on twincharging can be found here:

http://shell.deru.com/~sgn1/AW11/Engswap.htm

Want to see other twinchargers?
Five in the world...now you know why it's costing me so much. 8)

http://shell.deru.com/~sgn1/AW11/Mkimod.htm

Here is what one made on a dyno over there (350bhp) - of the four TCs listed two claim 350bhp on pump gas, one 400bhp on race gas and one 275bhp at the wheels.

http://shell.deru.com/~sgn1/AW11/mod/im ... ncdyno.jpg

Quarter mile :shock:

http://shell.deru.com/~sgn1/AW11/mod/im ... meslip.jpg

And this car has a lesser spec than mine!!! Of course you never know quite how it is going to turn out...we'll know within the next three to four weeks - I think.
T
EarL

Post by EarL »

Holy crap Toni! :shock: I was expecting it to be quick, but that's mental!! An 11 second pass! I'd better re-think my build :lol:

tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

LOL, he of course may be a lot better at quarter miles than me :)
I am planning a lot of practice though. :mrgreen:
T
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

What capactity is the block now then?
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

I am not ignoring you Alex, I am trying to find out the exact number :-s

T
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

1.7 'or thereabouts'. See that's what you get from my engine builder, exact information on a quick timeline. #-o

Nothing has happened guys as engine builder had a heart attack (probably from the fright of taking two years to build my engine) but I am expecting the now fully built ensemble to be run up in the new year on the engine dyno...when I know you will. :)

T
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

You must have either the patience of a saint or a very cheap deal due to time taken
EarL

Post by EarL »

matt_mr2t wrote:You must have either the patience of a saint or a very cheap deal due to time taken

Shhhh, Matt. I think Toni's forgotten about this car she's got so many. If we play our cards right, we can get it from the builder for a song mate. :lol:

tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

bu88er off you two :lol:

I have only been patient as I've bought other toys to play with in the interim....but even I am now severely tested. If he hasn't got it up and running by February end I'm going with my truck to collect it, come in number one your time is up....

T
EarL

Post by EarL »

tonigmr2 wrote:bu88er off you two :lol:

Hehehehehehehe :lol:

Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

tonigmr2 wrote:If he hasn't got it up and running by February

February! :shock: WTF is that all about? :? Last I heard all it needed was a chargecooler (which I thought you'd now got) and then it could go on the engine dynamometer for tuning.....

What's gone wrong now T? :(

Return to “Project Cars”