Croft @ £175
29%

Total votes: 28

Lauren
IMOC Committee

IMOC Trackday- The options

Post by Lauren »

Ok campers,

time to get the next IMOC Trackday sorted. Its going to be in May.

There are a few options, with most of the usual suspects.

First up Angersea @ £135

Anglesey is a bit of a hidden gem and we have been there last year. Its a twisty turny little circuit that is small but perfectly formed. Its a great track for beginners and experienced drivers alike. You can even camp there!

Elvington @ £99 is the cheapest option. Its an airfield and a course is laid out in cones. Big pluses are that there's nothing to hit so its a great introduction to trackdays and you can really push yourself with very little risk. Only downside really is that the surface is concrete and because its an airfield everyone wants to slide around so tyre wear is quite bad.

Last up and the Joker in the pack is Croft @ £175. We can't have Croft to ourselves because it is too popular with the regulars. Its a sessioned day so we could have an MR2 only session or maybe two.

Croft is an absolutely fantastic track and a real gem and well worth the trek oop north. I have been round it but haven't driven it. Everybody waxes lyrical about this circuit and it is regarded as one of the best in the country. There is reasonable run off here, it is quick mind and is the kind of place where some experience of track driving would help but its nowhere near as scary as Cadwell for example. I'd say closest comparison is its a better version of Donny with slightly less gradient.

I threw Croft into the equation just in case you guys fancied something different.

Please vote away and post your questions here as that way it'll save me answering the same questions over and over.

BTW:

Anglesey is in Anglesey thats North Wales near Holyhead
Elvington is near York
Croft is near Darlington (up the A1).
Last edited by Lauren on Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michael

Re: IMOC Trackday- The options

Post by michael »

I'll be lazy and go for the Elvington option :)
Hedgehog Dodger

Post by Hedgehog Dodger »

michael wrote:I'll be lazy and go for the Elvington option :)

Agreed, but for a different reason of Price :)
Sweete

Post by Sweete »

I would say croft cos I have been round that track before & it is a really good fun track, but £175 owch!! :?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Sweete wrote:I would say croft cos I have been round that track before & it is a really good fun track, but £175 owch!! :?

Have a vote then! I know you haven't because i'm the only one so far who has voted for Croft!
paul port

Post by paul port »

I'll vote for croft - simply beause I would like something different despite the long drive!! (Though thankfully I don't have to drive from Kent these days)

I have to say however, that Elvington is an excellent venue and everyone always has such fun there - I think a bigger MR2 crowd would make the event and Elvington is the place to get it.

Please Please lets have a good group turnout this year - if it ends up as Elvington, perhaps we could think of a combined Dyno-day as Rogue systems organised a year or so ago.

Paul.
vashy

Post by vashy »

Another IMOC trackday, wohoo! (:

I've voted Croft, it brilliant, but not too fussed, Anglesea is good, and could always trash my old 14" tyres at Elvington (:

Will the other two be sessioned as well as croft, i.e any chance of open pits?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

vashy wrote:Another IMOC trackday, wohoo! (:

I've voted Croft, it brilliant, but not too fussed, Anglesea is good, and could always trash my old 14" tyres at Elvington (:

Will the other two be sessioned as well as croft, i.e any chance of open pits?

Think we could run open pit at Ang & Elv, croft would defo be sessioned.
michael

Post by michael »

Open pitlane would definately be a big selling point for me
jonno

Post by jonno »

Ive gone for anglesea cus i quite fancy it and i didnt like the tyre wear at elvington - even though it was good fun! :)

Croft is tempting though, I have spectated there a few times but never been round it.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
dgh.mr2

IMOC Trackday

Post by dgh.mr2 »

Is it likely that the trackday (you suggested in May) will be at a weekend/holiday?
stevecordiner

Post by stevecordiner »

I'm going with Elvington as its the most lenient on noise emmissions and is cheap with plenty of run off.

Croft would be nice, but can imagine an external wastegate is a no no.

Angelsey - too far for me
Small turbos - they're not big and they're not clever!

Just say NO to small turbos!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

stevecordiner wrote:I'm going with Elvington as its the most lenient on noise emmissions and is cheap with plenty of run off.

Croft would be nice, but can imagine an external wastegate is a no no.

Angelsey - too far for me

I'm not sure an external wastegate would be problem tbh. I guess it depends if it puts you over the driveby noise limit. Don't remember them being that strict at Croft.
Nelo

Post by Nelo »

I've voted for Anglesey since it's closest to me and it's a great track which is easy enough on the car too.
JJ

Post by JJ »

Croft !! My car might actually be warmed up by the time I get there too !! :D

Talk about a stones throw for a change ... then again, I'm quite easy... as long as I have a car to battle around in !! :D
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Nelo

Post by Nelo »

Cool, we've got most of the black flag brigade going so far then! Hey you can have a lend of mine if you want J, just don't wreck the clutch on me!
jonno

Post by jonno »

Nelo 漂&#27 wrote:Cool, we've got most of the black flag brigade going so far then! Hey you can have a lend of mine if you want J, just don't wreck the clutch on me!

Or the exhaust, or the gearbox! :)
JJ

Post by JJ »

jonno wrote:
Nelo 漂&#27 wrote:Cool, we've got most of the black flag brigade going so far then! Hey you can have a lend of mine if you want J, just don't wreck the clutch on me!

Or the exhaust, or the gearbox! :)

At least I dont use cones to find the limits of the car !!! :lol: !! Elvingtons web page says something about missing about 50 cones.... know anything about this jonno ??

Theres a strapping big heat shield over the slave now... I've tested it out and theres no drop in pressure. Would have been nice if its reared its ugly head before I made the trip !!

4ths still a little hit and miss... jumps out occasionally once selected... guess it didn't like going into 4th at 90mph with no clutch !! :shock:

Turbo needs to be pulled one more time as its passing on the compressor side ... I'll get to the bottom of it or kill it off for fun at the next track day !! :twisted:

Pete, whose been blacked flagged like !! :lol: :wink:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

Why are all the track days up north? :(

Would it be possible to have one in the south? I expect there are quite a few who would consider this but on top of the track day there are the other costs for those coming such a distance.

For most in the south by the time you factor in 4 hours worth of driving there, petrol to get there, petrol to race around, petrol to get back, hotel costs, 4 hours driving back, and also some degree of wear and tear then it all mounts up.

Thruxton, Castle Coombe, Goodwood would be interesting and Llandow is cheap as chips. I have thrown Llandow into the mix because it may not be challenging but it’s very affordable (which would attract novices) and also is lax on noise and has decent run off if anyone gets out of shape. Just so people know I am not fussing over the cost of the track day just highlighting that whilst its nice to get a big gathering together a lot of people will rule it out due to the location.

Regards

James
jonno

Post by jonno »

Someone really ought to point that out to Pete ;)

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”