Smoke Machine vs Mondeo ST220

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great driving
No votes
Just having a laugh
71%
Stupid
29%
So idiotic I want to hit you with a big stick
No votes

Total votes: 7

Hedgehog Dodger

Smoke Machine vs Mondeo ST220

Post by Hedgehog Dodger »

The same script as the Civic a couple of weeks back, expect this guy was tailing me for about 500 yards.

Onto the M56 from the slip road and nailed it. Mondeo started about 5 cars behind, and ended up about 50 cars behind and I am only boosting 1bar. I slowed down and this thing 'roared' past me.

Fords......why do they try?!

:)
bodleytunes

Re: Smoke Machine vs Mondeo ST220

Post by bodleytunes »

ill beat u in my mums clio!!

remember whos got tip-top stiles!!
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

My mate had one of these ages ago, in an attempt to have a faster car than me at the time (I owned an Astra SRi - this was years ago). I then bought an MR2 N/A and spent the next few weekends showing him what a waste of space the Mondeo was. So he bought an Impreza...

The Mondeo ST220 can be a quick car if driven properly, but suffers badly being a Ford family car with a meatier engine in it.
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by Hedgehog Dodger »

Nige wrote:My mate had one of these ages ago, in an attempt to have a faster car than me at the time (I owned an Astra SRi - this was years ago). I then bought an MR2 N/A and spent the next few weekends showing him what a waste of space the Mondeo was. So he bought an Impreza...

The Mondeo ST220 can be a quick car if driven properly, but suffers badly being a Ford family car with a meatier engine in it.

This was a new Mondeo. 04 plate IIRC. Sounded nice as the V6 roared past me. But I agree, the Civic Type R put up a better battle!

:)
puntoturbo

Post by puntoturbo »

st220 is what the name says 220hp, an n/a mr2 would get ruined by one
GeoffC320

Post by GeoffC320 »

Ruined? Not too sure...the mondeo is 1490kg so the power/weight is only about 150 bhp/ton - little more than a late MR2 N/a.

They don't handle bad for a family car but they're not all that.
billy

Post by billy »

Quote from overclockers website....

1/4 Mile Times
11.82 Moanin Skyline R33 GTST
13.30 DreXeL Scoob
13.40 TheOtherPhil Scoob
13.81 TomO 200sx
14.42 Porkie Toyota Celica GT4
14.64 Bobbler Integra Type-R
15.29 Dangerous ST220
15.74 Vipernet Quantum Coupe
16.76 Malt_Vinegar 525i SE AUTO

Last October I ran a 15.29 @ Crail in a 14 year old Rev 1 n/a.

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:41 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

st220 is what the name says 220hp, an n/a mr2 would get ruined by one

Hardly ruined......

Regards

Billy
BLOODUK

Post by BLOODUK »

overclockers... *spits* :-# :-#
puntoturbo

Post by puntoturbo »

Geoff Munt wrote:Ruined? Not too sure...the mondeo is 1490kg so the power/weight is only about 150 bhp/ton - little more than a late MR2 N/a.

They don't handle bad for a family car but they're not all that.

it should do mate, i've got a 170hp puntoturbo and manage to pull away from rev 5 n/a mr2's

i had a play with an st220 the other day and he pulled strong all the way to 120ish, managed to gain about 4 cars on me over a mile
GeoffC320

Post by GeoffC320 »

If your Punto is genuinely running 170 bhp then I guess you should be able to take pretty much any N/A MR2. Surprises me then, that the ST220 would pull away from you - the figures don't lie, the power/weight isn't outstanding. Unless they've got some monster torque you should have been able to keep up no probs.

I had a run-in with a tuned-up Punto a year or so ago, I was surprised at how well the guy kept up =D> (my car runs 300bhp) although to be fair the roads were not good ones for racing :wink:.

Just out of interest, did you used to have an MR2/still have one/thinking of getting one?
puntoturbo

Post by puntoturbo »

its my old man we were looking for an mr2 for, found one now. picked up a 1998 t-bar in cosmos blue, he had it today. will post picture up soon.

yea the punto went on the rollers two weeks ago and made 171@ the fly, with 181 lb/s of torque. also run a 15sec 1/4 up in pod last year.
michael

Post by michael »

I bought a brand new Punto GT back in '96 - it struggled to cope with the standard power and handled like a boat, have you sorted out the suspension and got more grip?

I used to really like mine though, it was great to have such a quick car when my mates were driving Fiestas and Novas :)
puntoturbo

Post by puntoturbo »

michael wrote:I bought a brand new Punto GT back in '96 - it struggled to cope with the standard power and handled like a boat, have you sorted out the suspension and got more grip?

I used to really like mine though, it was great to have such a quick car when my mates were driving Fiestas and Novas :)

the handling is shocking as standard

i've lowered mine using -60mm gmax springs and shocks, spraco strutbrace up front and some 15's with 195/45/15's

powerwise its running a standard turbo, apexi avcr, seb 2 ecu remap, 2.5inch exhaust off the turbo, bmc cda, fmic etc

heres a few pics..

fmrl

Post by fmrl »

Okay, I'll give you a tenner for it (must be worth a bit more now you've taken the Fait badges off it).
michael

Post by michael »

So it's not always been a GT then?

Looks very smooth :)
puntoturbo

Post by puntoturbo »

nope, used to be a 75sx mate. had it three years now since i passed my test. all the work done to it was done myself, inc engine conversion and rebuild
GeoffC320

Post by GeoffC320 »

That's pretty tidy mate, although I have to say I prefer the exterior and engine bay to the interior. Mind you I used to have a Ka which I did a few bits & pieces to so I know how much you have to change to really bring a basic hatch up to spec!

Are you going to be driving your old man's Rev 5 then? You might be underwhelmed with the power but I'd be surprised if it didn't have you wondering about a turbo :wink:
puntoturbo

Post by puntoturbo »

Geoff Munt wrote:That's pretty tidy mate, although I have to say I prefer the exterior and engine bay to the interior. Mind you I used to have a Ka which I did a few bits & pieces to so I know how much you have to change to really bring a basic hatch up to spec!

Are you going to be driving your old man's Rev 5 then? You might be underwhelmed with the power but I'd be surprised if it didn't have you wondering about a turbo :wink:

i've driven one of his rev 5's before, they handling lovely, they are good drivers cars, go quite well to. i may buy it off him next year and drop the 3s-gt lump in as it would be my perfect mr2

he will probably get some 17's now and lower it a touch then it will be perfect for a conversion. not as quick as the punto in a straight line though
Last edited by puntoturbo on Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
puntoturbo

Post by puntoturbo »

fmrl wrote:Okay, I'll give you a tenner for it (must be worth a bit more now you've taken the Fait badges off it).

funny guy, how old are you again?
EarL

Post by EarL »

Fiat.......?

Fiat.......?

Oh yeah! I remember them! They make tractors don't they? :twisted:
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!

Return to “Driving Experiences”