TOTB 4 - Lets be organised this year

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

stevecordiner

TOTB 4 - Lets be organised this year

Post by stevecordiner »

TOTB 4 is set for 31st July 2005. With entry opening in February.

Now, for those who dont know the story. Last year became a farce. We lost one place due to waiting till what we thought the deadline was assuming our 5 places were ours till then (when in fact is was 1st come 1st served), we lost one very unfortunately to a form not making it in the post.

This was partly due to waiting to see if some of the high powered WIP cars would be finished in time. So it was put to a popular vote of imoc members - and even those who stated they werent going to compete kept getting votes :?: lol

May I suggest;

31st May 2005 for proven 1/4 mile times on street tyres. Then imoc gets the forms in within the first fortnight of June. So hopefully imoc actually gets a full quota of cars in the competition.

Reasons why I suggest 1/4 mile being the benchmark

1) Previous suggestions have included meeting for a dyno day .... well, whats the point in having the highest hp cars going if the driver cant exact that performance out of it.

2) The mk 1 / mk 2 handling debate. As proven by Mr JJ the mk 2 can beat the rest of the japanese rwd cars round the handling course, whilst also being semi competitive in the 1/4 mile.

3) Street tyres keeps the benchmark equal.

4) Its easy and cheap for anyone to get to a drag way to prove their performance

5) We arent going to compete in the top speed runs with supras - so this is kind of irrelevant.

Team representative - I suggest Mr Canny if he's prepared to do it again after last years stresses.

If this seems too early to discuss it, well, last year was a last minute show that inspired the words "brewery" and "p1$$ up". Capable cars that were up and running and that would've made a good representation for imoc lost out on the chance - namely Jonno and GTS Chris.

Lets get organised ladies and gentlemen!

Rant over lol
Small turbos - they're not big and they're not clever!

Just say NO to small turbos!
michael

Re: TOTB 4 - Lets be organised this year

Post by michael »

stevecordiner wrote:

Team representative - I suggest Mr Canny if he's prepared to do it again after last years stresses.

I'm already on it :)
stevecordiner

Post by stevecordiner »

Good man!

If you're a mod perhaps this thread should've gone in motorsport or general lol :D

michael

Post by michael »

stevecordiner wrote:Good man!

If you're a mod perhaps this thread should've gone in motorsport or general lol :D

I'm sure one of them will be along to move it soon :)

I just hope I can get us a decent amount of spaces *and* more importantly fill them!

Early June for entries to be in sounds good to me, I don't want a repeat of last year where we end up hoping the postal service gets them there and then missing out :(
stevecordiner

Post by stevecordiner »

Agreed.

My view is a fixed date put up now gives everyone a target. Obviously if there was a big day at the start of June at the Pod, Elvington or wherever that final date could be "somewhat" flexible to accomodate.

But I definitely think forms should be in atleast 4 weeks prior to the closing date.

Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

stop me if i wrong, but would it be feasable to organise a day at elvington (like the megaboost meet) and have all possible contenders trying themselves out??
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
stevecordiner

Post by stevecordiner »

This was discussed - but what if the day at elvington is in April and someone adds a load of mods in May and runs a faster time last weekend in May? What if its raining that day? etc etc

This was all discussed last year.

The only way to do it is to set a final date for times and then make sure forms are sent in quickly. If there's any contencious last minute times then a copy of the slip should be available. We all live near to a drag way or other, people just need to get there.

michael

Post by michael »

No matter when the cut off date is we'll always have someone adding "one more thing" or another drag event that everyone suddenly decides is "the one" where they will get a better time.... I'm going to be strict, once I've seen the calendars for the major strips I'll impose a final day for entries and stick to it.

It's the only way, I'd rather have 2 average cars there representing the club than 2 empty spaces.
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

fair enough, was jus toyin with ideas.

sounds fair being strict though.

i'll pull my finger out then! :oops:
stevecordiner

Post by stevecordiner »

michael wrote:I'm going to be strict, once I've seen the calendars for the major strips I'll impose a final day for entries and stick to it.

It's the only way, I'd rather have 2 average cars there representing the club than 2 empty spaces.

Spot on and its fair on everyone who would like to be considered :)

jonno

Post by jonno »

Best get another Megaboost day organised then Mr Canny!

I am toying with running NOS for the 1/4 - should get me in the 10's or 11's. I can switch it off for the handling course and just rely on the boost alone.

Hopefully this year will be pretty stress free for me, I really dont plan on doing much other than resolving the chargecooler flow problem.

Neil.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
michael

Post by michael »

jonno wrote:Best get another Megaboost day organised then Mr Canny!

Will do :)
stevecordiner

Post by stevecordiner »

Oooo ... nitrous on the madcat :D Thats what I like to hear!!

tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Twincharger progressing nicely - ETA end of March!!!

Went to see it this morning, hmmmn AP calipers looking very sweet. Will put up some piccies laters.

Agree Michael, only way is to be very strict this year. After all if someone comes up with a stunning time later, they can always try it as a privateer.

T
JJ

Post by JJ »

Like the sound of this !

Errmmm .. better buy some parts then and build myself an engine thats not gonna fall apart on me on the day again !! :shock:

ETA ... lol !! one weekend ! :D

The handling circuits ... well mine was with stock shockers and cheapo springs... them tyres I put on those supra wheels 265's gripped worse than my Good Year 235's ... never tested it till the night before... but couldnt' be sure if it was my imagination !! Confirmation in the top bend when I ended up drifting the top corner ! :shock: certainly not good for times.

Without being cut throat, to be relatively competitive of people trying to get a place, the qrt miles i recon should have a cut of time of 13. dead... that means all cars must run at least 12's on street tyres !!

Yes they'll be views to my comments, but I'm not biased because of my cars times...as I may not have mine ready for the event - and even though mine will pull 12's now, I wouldn't enter it.. because on the larger scale, the majority of cars at TOTB3 were all in the 12's !

Can anyone do some research onto noise restrictions ... I'm sure these tracks are clamping down on noise so these external wastegates may pose as a small problem. Just a thought ! :!:

:wink:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
michael

Post by michael »

This might be of interest to you Toni, one of the crazy dutch Supra guys has decided to do a twincharger:

JJ

Post by JJ »

VVTi engine too... can be a bit trick .. bet thats a bu88er to tune ! :D
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
michael

Post by michael »

Indeed, the guy is a mentalist!

You'll like this one Mr JJ ;)

tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Grief, it's hard enough with the kit, wonder how the heck they sorted that out!

Oooh, just seen your piccy...yellow...hmmm... 8)
T
Last edited by tonigmr2 on Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

jesus H christ!!!! :shock:

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”