Replacing old standard sub....

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Hurstie1981

Replacing old standard sub....

Post by Hurstie1981 »

To solve a leak in my car the other day, i decided to remove everything from the passenger side, including all trim, seats, carpet...the lot. The sub in the box behind my passenger seat is on its way out...but i noticed there is a gap in the metal houseing, looks like you could get a 5-6" speaker in there. Ive heard 6x9's dont work too well on top of the housing, but was wondering what would it be like if i wired 2 x 6" spekers into mdf on top of the sub box, and then placed tweeters at each side of the centre console (next to my ear).

Any ideas chaps?

Graham
stevowaring

Re: Replacing old standard sub....

Post by stevowaring »

I would like to updrate the sub in my car also, but I don't really want to lose the space behind my seats (for my T-Bar).

I wanted a stealthy install too, so no prying eyes could see it!

I found this:

http://www.raysmith.co.uk/product_info. ... ucts_id=15

Will this replace the standard sub in a mk2?

What size is the standard sub?

Thanks

Steve
Hurstie1981

Re: Replacing old standard sub....

Post by Hurstie1981 »

Ive just spent a fortune on some focal 165's., so im gonna try and experiment first!

Ive got some really good alod hi-fi separate speakers, im gonna dismantle them and use the crossovers and cones and mount them to replace the factory sub, and see how it goes!

They are cracking quality, and i think it may just work!

Return to “ICE and Security”