Planning to race in the MR2 Challenge 2006..

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Squizz

Planning to race in the MR2 Challenge 2006..

Post by Squizz »

Hi everyone :D

First post on the 'board. :roll:

I'm a regular denizen on Scoobynet and the SXOC forums, as we have an Impreza Turbo and Nissan 200SX. The Nissan is now going to be making way for our AW11 MR2 which we're going to prepare for the MR2 Challenge in 2006! :mrgreen:

My wife Karen will be doing the driving, and I'll be doing the spanner monkeying with help from our friends. :-#

Karen's got loads of experience driving at trackdays and is looking forward to her new challenge. :twisted:

Any hints & tips will be gratefully received. [-o<

Hope to meet some of you sooner or later,
Squizz.
\:D/
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Planning to race in the MR2 Challenge 2006..

Post by Lauren »

Hi I raced in it in 2004. Was a lot of fun, just wish i had the funds to do it these days.

Have we met? its just i work for bookatrack on occasionally.

As far as tips go, just get the car sorted asap and get Karen out in it as much as poss on trackdays and on test days so that she can get the hang of driving a mid-engined car as they handle a bit differently from a FR layout.

Good luck!
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Squizz

Post by Squizz »

Hi Lauren! :D

I don't think we've bumped into each other... #-o

She's already driven the car in question at a track day and the only things really bothering her currently are a comparative lack of power, and heavy steering in the tightested corner.

Obviously the power issue isn't going to matter against other MR2's. As for the heavy steering, well she's beefing up at the gym! :roll:

Karen's driven at Mallory Park, Llandow, Donnington, Cadwell, Castle Combe, Oulton, Nurburgring and various airfield days. Cars driven on track range from Porsches, Impreza Turbo, MR2, Caterham, Honda Civic Type-R to our track prepared Nissan 200SX! =D>

Currently awaiting the results of her Formula Woman 2006 assessment... 8-[

Cheers,
Squizz.
racing23mr2

Post by racing23mr2 »

great!!!!!! at last another girlie to race against, i had it all to myself this year , looking forward too meeting you both. these little cars are down on power but great fun and very good on handling, the trick is have no fear and dont back off, you back off you spin end of, as with most r,w,d. you will enjoy yourself i am sure. have a look on the mr2 challenge forum and the guys will answer all your questions as steve vince the organiser will be sending out revised regs for 2006 soon and any thing you want too find out can be asked there, bye for now. sarah
anna

Post by anna »

Squizz wrote:

Cheers,
Squizz.

Does that mean she won't be able to take her race licence?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Squizz wrote:Hi Lauren! :D

I don't think we've bumped into each other... #-o

She's already driven the car in question at a track day and the only things really bothering her currently are a comparative lack of power, and heavy steering in the tightested corner.

Obviously the power issue isn't going to matter against other MR2's. As for the heavy steering, well she's beefing up at the gym! :roll:

Karen's driven at Mallory Park, Llandow, Donnington, Cadwell, Castle Combe, Oulton, Nurburgring and various airfield days. Cars driven on track range from Porsches, Impreza Turbo, MR2, Caterham, Honda Civic Type-R to our track prepared Nissan 200SX! =D>

Cheers,
Squizz.

Aha must have been a different trackday organiser :shock: I drove in the FW championship last year, though its caterhams for next year IIRC.

Sounds like she has some good experience then. tbh i don't think the steering is heavy on a MK1. Yes obviously more than a power assisted car but i've never experienced difficulties with it, though i've used either a standard wheel or a 350mm which is usefully smaller than stock but not to the point where the steering becomes a problem.
Squizz

Post by Squizz »

Hi Sarah. :wink:

We've read some of your exploits in the latest Challenge Bulletins that Steve Vince sent us. We're obviously awaiting a complete version of the 2006 regs before we start hacking the (very pretty and dark blue) car about.

Where's the MR2 Challenge forum? #-o

anna - Formula Woman (FW) is rather different this year. (And more to do with making money than anything else, I fear). They're planning to get the 100 remaining women to take their race license, and then whittle those down to 16 women at a boot camp. The license tests will be this November, and the boot camp next June!!!

Luckily, we grabbed Graeme and asked him if racing in the MR2 Challenge in the meantime would disqualify her. He said it would be fine.

The organisation just needs a kick up the backside to communicate properly to everyone... [-(

Frankly, whether she does/doesn't qualify is irrelevant. She'll get her license and concentrate on the MR2 Challenge anyway. 8)

Lauren - Oh right! Well you know all about the strange politics of FW then... :-#

We may have to experiment with steering wheel size, etc. to see what best suits her. Is it possible to alter the wheel camber/cantor on AW11's ? (Within the Challenge regs.)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Yep all geo ie castor, camber, toe is adjustable on the MK1 as standard. This goes for the rear too with the obvious exception of castor.

Yep i know all about FW politics. :shock:

Though i'd expect they would have learnt a lot from previous issues that arose so it will no doubt be a bit tighter this time round.
Squizz

Post by Squizz »

Lauren wrote:Yep all geo ie castor, camber, toe is adjustable on the MK1 as standard. This goes for the rear too with the obvious exception of castor.

Yep i know all about FW politics. :shock:

Though i'd expect they would have learnt a lot from previous issues that arose so it will no doubt be a bit tighter this time round.

Excellent! Can't wait to get my hands on the car. Looks like we've got to break our gorgeous 200SX. We haven't got room for all the cars now, but selling the 'SX wouldn't return anything like the money we've spent on it. :cry:

I'll be tinkering with two cars then - Breaking one, and building another. At least we can save the seats/harnesses and put those in the MR2.

Oh yeah, just had Karen's assessment result. She's currently on the reserve list for the final 100. That's not a bad result as during her Caterham lapping she overtook all the other candidates in her group but unfortunately span 180 degress on the final corner of her laps - She was gutted to say the least. :cry:

Whether she bothers with future knock-out rounds for the reserves is questionable. 8-[
racing23mr2

challenge link

Post by racing23mr2 »

http://s114047911.websitehome.co.uk/index2.html

hi here is your link too the mr2 challenge web forum. good luck and see you soon , at the moment chat is quiet but if you post any questions you will get answers. \:D/ p.s if your harness is not 3inch FIA approved it will not pass for next year and also your fire extinguisher needs too be plumbed in the car!!!
Last edited by racing23mr2 on Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anna

Post by anna »

Squizz wrote:
anna - Formula Woman (FW) is rather different this year. (And more to do with making money than anything else, I fear). They're planning to get the 100 remaining women to take their race license, and then whittle those down to 16 women at a boot camp. The license tests will be this November, and the boot camp next June!!!

Luckily, we grabbed Graeme and asked him if racing in the MR2 Challenge in the meantime would disqualify her. He said it would be fine.

The organisation just needs a kick up the backside to communicate properly to everyone... [-(

Frankly, whether she does/doesn't qualify is irrelevant. She'll get her license and concentrate on the MR2 Challenge anyway. 8)

Lauren - Oh right! Well you know all about the strange politics of FW then... :-#

wow - so FW are splashing out on 100 racing licences?
(stops, thinks about it)...
Right - I bet that actually means that they all have to pay for the licence? (FW, spending money? good grief no!)

I'd say just get one with MR2 challenge - i bet it'll be less stress!
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Anna, you are a Mk1Club member, I've heard rumours that Peter Scatchard may not compete in next years series in the MK1Club car.....

So get your licence! :D
racing23mr2

Post by racing23mr2 »

yes i was under the impression he was going to be in his own car next year.however i think he pays towards the club car though but im not sure just what ive heard.
Squizz

Post by Squizz »

Sarah - Thanks for the link. I'd visited that link before but it was out of action at the time. I'll get reading! (Searches for thumbs up emoticon!)

anna - You guessed it. They want £250 each (+vat?) to takes the ARDS test, but they are laying on a doctor, etc. We're awaiting our MSA Starter Pack and then we can go book our own.

Thanks to not having a major sponsor this year, things at FW are a bit silly to say the least... They've organised a race vent at Pembrey in a couple of weeks. 64 of the 100 finalists are invited to race on a first come, first served basis. There will be 4 grids of 16 women in each. The winner of each race will automatically be in next years FW Championship.

HOWEVER! They originally wanted £750+vat to enter the race. Obviously, sponsorship would help and we were in negotiation for that. Then weeks later, they inform everyone that another £300+vat is required for insurance of the car!!

It's a bit of a joke. I can't see them making one grid, let alone four!

The original idea was for women who maybe had the talent but couldn't afford to enter motorsport to have a chance to prove themselves. That seems to have gone out of the window. [-(

We'll save our own money and our sponsors money for the MR2 Challenge. 8)
anna

Post by anna »

Squizz wrote:Sarah - Thanks for the link. I'd visited that link before but it was out of action at the time. I'll get reading! (Searches for thumbs up emoticon!)

anna - You guessed it. They want £250 each (+vat?) to takes the ARDS test, but they are laying on a doctor, etc. We're awaiting our MSA Starter Pack and then we can go book our own.

Thanks to not having a major sponsor this year, things at FW are a bit silly to say the least... They've organised a race vent at Pembrey in a couple of weeks. 64 of the 100 finalists are invited to race on a first come, first served basis. There will be 4 grids of 16 women in each. The winner of each race will automatically be in next years FW Championship.

HOWEVER! They originally wanted £750+vat to enter the race. Obviously, sponsorship would help and we were in negotiation for that. Then weeks later, they inform everyone that another £300+vat is required for insurance of the car!!

It's a bit of a joke. I can't see them making one grid, let alone four!

The original idea was for women who maybe had the talent but couldn't afford to enter motorsport to have a chance to prove themselves. That seems to have gone out of the window. [-(

We'll save our own money and our sponsors money for the MR2 Challenge. 8)

lol! how did I guess!
(If you were wondering, I made the 'camp' last year, but didn't make the 16)
as for FW being all about getting women into motorsport that's a bit far fetched given that I heard absolutely zip from them afterwards, and no assessment of my driving which they promised to all those who didn't make the 16. Along with Brian Nobody bleating on about how you'll 'never get into motorsport if you don't get through to the 16' each day - that's hardly encouragement.
FW is simply a money making / marketing venture pure and simple - the problem is that they would never admit to that.

Go the MR2 route - much more satisfying and much less stress I guarantee you!
anna

Post by anna »

Icsunonove wrote:Anna, you are a Mk1Club member, I've heard rumours that Peter Scatchard may not compete in next years series in the MK1Club car.....

So get your licence! :D

Pah - I could take (and pass) my licence any day of the week! ;)
Still wouldn't get around the towing issue tho (damn post '97 licences!)
Squizz

Post by Squizz »

Formula Woman, you're all at it! :shock:

Where's formula "Old-Speccy-Ginger-Bloke" when ya need it?! ](*,)

3" FIA approved harnesses? Hmmm...
1) That's going to mean we can't use our old ones.
2) More expense.
3) I imagine we won't be able to get normal seat belt clasp fixings which will be E-marked for road use?

We were hoping to keep the car insured and taxed and legal for occasional use on the road. Do the rollcages allow the use of the original seatbelts?

Plumbed in extinguisher? D'oh...

Once again, that's going to mean more thought on a road legal car. With a hend held extinguisher and an external battery switch you could still securely park the car and remove the battery switch. From here on in, some feckers likely to pull the extinguisher handle and douse the car in foam/powder. Have to figure out how to connect/disconnect the thing safely for the road. :-k

Steve sent us last year's regs. I'd best ask for a copy of the new ones! 8-[
Dave Goodhand

Post by Dave Goodhand »

Does anyone run cars specifically for the year? Ie so a driver with no car can race?

I've been looking at doing this but have nowhere to store a car, or no way to get one to the track :(
Squizz

Post by Squizz »

Dave Goodhand wrote:Does anyone run cars specifically for the year? Ie so a driver with no car can race?

I've been looking at doing this but have nowhere to store a car, or no way to get one to the track :(

Contact Steve Vince @ Red Dragon Automotive. (01646 601908) They do racing car hire, etc. :wink:
racing23mr2

Post by racing23mr2 »

Dave Goodhand wrote:Does anyone run cars specifically for the year? Ie so a driver with no car can race?

i noticed you drive a mk2 on the road, if you fancy a mk2 drive you could contact ROGUE(see threads in motorsport from earlier in the year, they are hiring out one of there 05 race cars if you are interested??? or STEVE VINCE FOR A MK1 CHESHIRE RACING HAVE A FEW CARS.

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”