www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
1989 T-bar project

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Member Profiles -> Project Cars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
croak3r

Feedback Score: 0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: 1989 T-bar project Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

So some of you may have seen my post a year ago about my 1989 MR2 that has a pretty badly rotted out chassis. It's been a long time sat in my garage while I collected a few parts and finished off some motorbike projects and now I'm finally ready to get started and thought it would be good to start a thread to log my progress [Very Happy]

I've always wanted an MR2 since my Dad sold his 10 years ago so when one came up quite local and cheap I had to have a look. It didn't look amazing as someone had repaired some panels and not painted it but overall it looked ok. I handed the guy £700 and drove it straight to my MOT guy who prodded the underneath and showed me a bunch of holes in the chassis I just couldn't see with the car sitting so low (and not really knowing where to look anyway).

So I took it home and spent a couple of days stripping the front off the car to see how bad it is.I expected a few inches that would need to be patched but once I finished poking everything with a screwdriver I was left with this.

Drivers side isnt nearly as bad, but still not good

A look everywhere else shows other bad patches of rust that also need repair.

Sills are also pretty bad and need replacing.

So quite a lot more work then I had hoped for. I spent a while trying to decide if I should just scrap it and get a nicer one, but I've decided to try and fix it myself.
First step was a trip to Neil Jones to try and find a repair section for my chassis. Turned out to be harder that I thought as it seems to be a very common area for rust but eventually we found a good one. Went back a few months later to cut it out and came home with this as well as some sills and a bunch of other trim stuff like side skirts.

Next I just wanted to see what the previous owner had done to the rear arches since they were all covered in primer. It looks like he's done a pretty good job, but they dont quite match up with original angle but I'm getting ahead of myself here, I'm just glad it's one less thing to fix.

So that is pretty much all I've done so far. I've held off doing any real work until I had some more space in the garage and time to work on it. The next step will be to replace the front chassis rails but first I need some practice with a welder.
Let me know what you all think.
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Feedback Score: 14

1986 Toyota MR2 Mk1b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

croak3r wrote:
Let me know what you all think.

It looks like you know what you've let yourself in for so good luck from me, and make sure the pictures keep coming. [thumleft]

Stuart
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Feedback Score: 7

1992 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

indeed keep progress & pictures coming

Hail Cosmos Eagle 1998 -
RIP White Eagle 1991 - 2016
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Member Profiles -> Project Cars All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: