[Mk2] [Turbo] Big End Bearings?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

alanmr2turbo

[Mk2] [Turbo] Big End Bearings?

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Ok so i went out Friday night and on the way back i gave it a little throttle and that's where it all went Pete Tong :lol:

Clatter, Clatter and some blue smoke. So I slowed right down and dipped clutch, clatter goes away, only on sort of just above driving miss daisy acceleration does the clatter come back and sounds like it's running on 3 cylinders.

I kind of slip clutching it on acceleration then hardly any clatter. Still thinking engines fubar'ed. I drove it a few miles to park outside in-laws house as it was nearer to theirs than mine.

Now the really strange part. :-k

Saturday afternoon i had to move car backward 6' so i started the car and waited for the clatter clatter but nothing. Moved car back the 6' still no clatter, then rev'ed it to 3k revs, still no clatter. No blue smoke out of exhaust.

Now the last engine i had with bottom end problems with went clatter clatter no matter what revs and even on start up and idle.

Could i be lucky and just mange to change end bearings?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Big End Bearings?

Post by Ryan S »

if it's not completely constant i'd say it wasn't the big end at all. Good news is the rods can be accessed with just the sump off.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

yeah, that's whats completely puzzling me. Bearings if gone are pretty much constant and worse when rev'ed.

Totally wierd
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

CalMac had similar, ended up being his turbo shitting itself - forums/viewtopic.php?t=193857
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

doh, he deleted the videos. I messaged him to see if it was the turbo and if he did ever find out what made the knocking noise etc.

as part of his last post was

"What I can't figure out is what was causing the horrible knocking - I wouldn't presume that a blown turbo could make those noises? And why have they now stopped"
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

alanmr2turbo wrote:doh, he deleted the videos. I messaged him to see if it was the turbo and if he did ever find out what made the knocking noise etc.

as part of his last post was

"What I can't figure out is what was causing the horrible knocking - I wouldn't presume that a blown turbo could make those noises? And why have they now stopped"

If you have a look through his other posts, he did replace the turbo in the end.

Won't take long to check though, I would think a turbo failure making that sort of racket would be immediately obvious if you take the intake pipe off and give the compressor a wiggle :-k
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

ok thanks, will have a little look at it the weekend. I really wasn't in the best of moods to look into it when it went clatter, well not without a 10lb lump hammer :lol:

I guess its easier to find a turbo than replace the engine. :D

For once i will be glad its just the turbo, will be turbo number 4 :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

If you've gone through 4 turbos i'd be getting the oil lines checked out.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

4 turbos over around 14 years

1st to go was a blitz came with car but car had been raced to edge of death. I know this as the engine blew up on return journey from buying car. :lol:
2nd to go was a ct26
3rd to go hybrid ct26
If this one has gone then its another hybrid ct26

1st 3 were oil seals.

will let you know findings the weekend
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Still sounds fishy mate, I had a stock ct26 on my old rev2. 7 years without fault. Car was then on the road for at least another 2 years after that. In this instance though fingers crossed it is the turbo! Big ends aren't a common point of failure on these. That's not to say it doesn't happen but it is rare.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

well it turned out to be No3 bearing. 6hrs on my back replacing end bearings which was ok for all of a few mins then knock knock who's there again.

After 12 or 13yrs of MR2 ownership it has come to the end. I can't be ar$ed changing engine or rebuilding it.

Now i'm the owner if a super fast 1.8L Honda Civic SE :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seems that an imported modified Mr2 turbo is actually cheaper to insure than a bog stand 1.8l Honda. :-s :roll: :-k :? :shock: :mad:
Yep, i guess it will only make sense to insurance people i guess. Robbing ass wipes
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Aw that's terrible news mate :(
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

alanmr2turbo wrote:well it turned out to be No3 bearing. 6hrs on my back replacing end bearings which was ok for all of a few mins then knock knock who's there again.

After 12 or 13yrs of MR2 ownership it has come to the end. I can't be ar$ed changing engine or rebuilding it.

Now i'm the owner if a super fast 1.8L Honda Civic SE :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seems that an imported modified Mr2 turbo is actually cheaper to insure than a bog stand 1.8l Honda. :-s :roll: :-k :? :shock: :mad:
Yep, i guess it will only make sense to insurance people i guess. Robbing ass wipes

If you've got space, let it sit for a bit, see what you're saying in a few months time. You might get a taste for that mid engine turbo stuff again :lol:

Return to “Mechanical”