rear side window removal.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

rear side window removal.

Post by Ryan S »

anyone removed these? Guy painting my car want's to take them out and asked if I knew. I've never removed these or even seen them off a car before. Any input much appreciated. :thumleft:
Draven

Re: rear side window removal.

Post by Draven »

If i remember rightly they are bonded to the car, You can to take the plastic trim off the inside and then somehow get a piece of string around to seperate them. When i tried it on my breaker years ago i smashed the glass in the process =;
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I actually managed to find a video. Looks like a right pain in the ar$e. It's for painting so not just the glass but the whole frame needs removed.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Ryan S wrote:I actually managed to find a video. Looks like a right pain in the ar$e. It's for painting so not just the glass but the whole frame needs removed.

Yes toyota didn't want it removed, but if you're gonna paint you'll want to get it out without damage.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Gah. I may just send the painter the youtube link!
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

when i stripped the white eagle I took one out & deceded to leave the other, id leave and put up with removing over spray over trying to put it back
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

It does look like a right pain of a job to be honest Bri 😕
Draven

Post by Draven »

it isn't a fun process and the chances of smashing the glass are high, then you've got not only to tidy up all the smashed glass but find a replacement.

I'd probably leave well alone.
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

i had black sticky stuff all over me for days, the wife wouldnt let me near her or the mistress ha ha, even the next door neighbours dog ran off when i tried to stroke it
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Think I'm gonna take that advice lads. The video I watched the guy was pushing the glass to get that whole frame out. Absolutely bonkers!!
Draven

Post by Draven »

Ryan S wrote:Think I'm gonna take that advice lads. The video I watched the guy was pushing the glass to get that whole frame out. Absolutely bonkers!!

good call, honestly no idea why toyota made it so difficult.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah considering the bother we have with the tbar seals they absolutely sea the rear 1/4 window!
Draven

Post by Draven »

didn't want it to leak i guess, i'd have thought they might have installed it the same way as the front window. 8-[
yokomomr4bx

Post by yokomomr4bx »

Not to be too contrary...but I've never had any problem removing the quarter windows. You'll have 3 screws underneath the vent and then 3 10mm bolts on the inside to remove. A thin/flexible razor sharp knife used from the inside will then easily cut through the mastic. You'll then need to pull the frame/window away at the back/vent and slide toward the rear of the car as the top gutter pieces interconnect. You shouldn't have to pull or put any force on the frame - if you do you've either left bolts in or haven't broken enough of the bond. Once you've got the window out you can easily remove the rest of the adhesive from the frame and the car.

I would say go for it and remove it. Breaking a window is a pain though, especially if it's a turbo import as the tint is different (bronze vs green). You'll also need to remember that the T-bar windows and the hard-top/sun roof windows are different and you won't get away with running a T-bar window on a hard-top and I should imagine vice versa...I thought I would and had perpetual leaks as the curvature profile of the frame where it mates to the pillar is not quite the same between them - that was my experience at least.
Chumbaside

Post by Chumbaside »

yokomomr4bx wrote:Not to be too contrary...but I've never had any problem removing the quarter windows. You'll have 3 screws underneath the vent and then 3 10mm bolts on the inside to remove. A thin/flexible razor sharp knife used from the inside will then easily cut through the mastic. You'll then need to pull the frame/window away at the back/vent and slide toward the rear of the car as the top gutter pieces interconnect. You shouldn't have to pull or put any force on the frame - if you do you've either left bolts in or haven't broken enough of the bond. Once you've got the window out you can easily remove the rest of the adhesive from the frame and the car.

I would say go for it and remove it. Breaking a window is a pain though, especially if it's a turbo import as the tint is different (bronze vs green). You'll also need to remember that the T-bar windows and the hard-top/sun roof windows are different and you won't get away with running a T-bar window on a hard-top and I should imagine vice versa...I thought I would and had perpetual leaks as the curvature profile of the frame where it mates to the pillar is not quite the same between them - that was my experience at least.

This. Mine came out relatively easily once I'd found all the fixings. The key is where they fit into each other, make sure you don't damage either part. The bond is strong but I used the usual plastic trim tools to remove without issue.

If you get it wrong I have two perfectly good tiptop quarters here (replaced with polycarbonate) :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Had a look and can see all the bolts so i'll tell the painter how to get it out. Leave it with the ha! Cheers for the input folks much appreciated!
Draven

Post by Draven »

basically you're all saying i'm heavy handed and broke mine because i'm impatient..

[-(
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

To be fair i watched a video and the guy used a heat gun making it look incredibly easy!
yokomomr4bx

Post by yokomomr4bx »

Draven wrote:basically you're all saying i'm heavy handed and broke mine because i'm impatient..

[-(

hahaha not at all...I subtly alluded to breaking one of mine when I tried to take one out for the first time and discovered the tint and t-top/hard top issue.

It's not a case of heavy handedness, this is a very brittle section of glass that has next to no support from the frame so is very very very easy to flex and consequently shatter the glass. I only find it easy now because I've had to take the damn things out so many times!
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

My previous car had a bare metal respray. Painter was worried about the rear quarter windows breaking removing them. Mine did not break but one had the plastic surround distort not long after refitting so there was a gap rain could get behind while driving. No idea if the rain got passed the sealant as could not see in there and did not get rain inside the car. Probably not a good idea to get water where it cant easily get out.
(I did get a used spare window for the painter to try but it would not fit my Tbar car so must have come from a tintop).

Rear quarter windows were discontinued by Toyota many years ago so try not to break them. A breaker might haves spares?

My current car was resprayed by a previous owner. The rear quarter windows were not removed but were masked off. Looks ok and most people would not notice.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”