CT20B Rebuild

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JDMfrank

CT20B Rebuild

Post by JDMfrank »

Who's recommended for these in the uk? Would like to rebuild and upgrade internals to handle some more boost.

Looking at ATS racing etc in the US but the hastle of shipping a turbo over and back is turning me off.
Race Idiot

Re: CT20B Rebuild

Post by Race Idiot »

TurboTechnics in essex should be able to rebuild it, also Fensport do them.

Not sure if you'll get much more power out of a hybrid ct20 though
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Race Idiot wrote:

Not sure if you'll get much more power out of a hybrid ct20 though

What makes you think that? The stage 5 one i had off someone made 480bhp with obviously alot of other upgrades it also had a dyno print out.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

It just seems like the exception rather than the rule though.

Saying that I've got a Blitz based CT turbo on mine and apparently that made around 400bhp.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

If you're spending the money on ECU, injectors, forged internals etc needed to support those power levels, I don't know why you would still want to run a CT turbo anyway, you have to run them really hard to get anywhere near the figures quoted here.

Assuming stock ECU / fuelling etc, I'd just get the CT20b rebuilt with decent quality components, and perhaps look at a nice billet compressor wheel for it.
JDMfrank

Post by JDMfrank »

SonicSW20 wrote:If you're spending the money on ECU, injectors, forged internals etc needed to support those power levels, I don't know why you would still want to run a CT turbo anyway, you have to run them really hard to get anywhere near the figures quoted here.

Assuming stock ECU / fuelling etc, I'd just get the CT20b rebuilt with decent quality components, and perhaps look at a nice billet compressor wheel for it.

This is what i'm after, Not chasing big power just looking for a rebuild and some upgrades to make it more reliable if the car hits 300bhp im happy.

Currently standard fueling but running and Ecu master ecu. I've actually contacted Midland turbos after a recommendation, Anyone any experience with them?
Draven

Post by Draven »

I've not had anything with midland turbo's

I did have a CT20B rebuilt with a steel impeller many years ago by Turbo Technics. They weren't too bad
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

JDMfrank wrote:
This is what i'm after, Not chasing big power just looking for a rebuild and some upgrades to make it more reliable if the car hits 300bhp im happy.

A properly rebuilt CT20b in stock specification will have no problems with 300bhp at the crank.
Baldurbus

Post by Baldurbus »

JDMfrank wrote:Who's recommended for these in the uk? Would like to rebuild and upgrade internals to handle some more boost.

Looking at ATS racing etc in the US but the hastle of shipping a turbo over and back is turning me off.

I've used Turbo Clinic many times for Hybrids and just for a stock rebuild with upgraded billet compressor wheel..and always with success. Just speak to Paul.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

I have used Turbo Technics and had one that was great and lasted many years doing mega miles, and another that was very low miles (bought second hand) that let oil passed the seals in a few months.

Current one is rebuilt by Universal Turbos and happy with it.

Stick with std CT20b for any lightly modified engine as hybrids of CT26 or CT20b will have noticeably more turbo lag compared to a fresh CT20b.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”