Brake hardlines and flexi hoses.... help required!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

HighwayStar

Brake hardlines and flexi hoses.... help required!

Post by HighwayStar »

Hey all, hoping somebody here can help me out. The car in question is a UK spec Rev1 n/a. No ABS.

So I've been told by my local garage my rear Flexi hoses are chaffed and rubbing as they are not properly secured so I've been looking to change them.

My problem is that when I first got Rogue to fit them (they switched over all the brakes from my old car.... Rev 3 calipers & discs to replace the small rev1 originals) they told me there was a corrosion issue on one of the old hard lines so they had to change it. Since they had to do it that day and told me they couldn't get new parts in that quickly they ended up taking the hard line off another car there so I could go home that night and so I had to pay for that work as well as the cost of them refitting a new line to this donor car after I had left. I also had to pay for a full new set of Flexi hoses as part of this process.

My problem now is that the fittings put onto my car don't appear to be oem. I just got new rear Flexi hoses from Hel hoping to replace like for like and they told me it should be a 1mm fitment however my garage are telling me what I have is a 0.8 mm fitment ... there's a restrictor valve fitted.

Bottom line is I now can't find 'MR2' hoses to fit the hard lines on my car and would like to go back to the oem lines... or short term at minimum find a way to secure the existing Flexi hoses already on there.

The cheapest option would be just to find some way of securing the existing lines ... is that possible (my local garage tell me they're currently secured by cable ties which I'm not very chuffed about)?
I'm also told that some other manufacturers supply their flexis with securing 'clips' but I've no idea where they go or how they should look.

Can anyone tell me:

1) What fitment size these rear hardlines should have as factory (and should there be any sort of reduction valve there at all?)...
2) Where are the Flexi hoses usually secured (photos of oem lies would be great)
3) Who supplies new braided lines which also come with ways to secure them (again any photos would be appreciated).

Many thanks as ever for any help and advice guys (and gals!)
Last edited by HighwayStar on Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HighwayStar

Re: Brake hardlines and flexi hoses.... help required!

Post by HighwayStar »

Anybody?
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Can't help with the sizes but i replaced my brake hoses with a set from Hel.

On the rears they had a plastic piece that fitted through the bracket on the shock held by the oem U clip. The OEM hoses were bolted to the wheel arch at the hard line to hose union with 2 bolts but the Hel lines had no facility for this.

What I did was to make a little bracket to clamp the union to the wheel well using thos 2 bolt holes. just a small length of metal bent and 2 holes drilled.

I believe Goodridge braided hoses have the OEM fittings but it would be best to check directly with them.

As for your hard line change, any competent garage should be able to make up a kunifer line with the correct fittings at either end. Surprised rogue didnt do this.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Thanks for the info abovetherim, most appreciated.

I've been down to my garage today for another chat. The current hardline on both sides have the restrictor valve which we can't figure out.

It seems my only 'full' solution is to pay for new (secondhand) oem hardlines then get the standard rear Goodrich kit with the fittings to secure the Flexi hoses.

As the garage say though they're now worried about changing the current (very good seemingly) brake balance by restoring oem hardlines without the restrictor valves and it seems an awful lot of fuss and expense when the current hardlines are in excellent condition and the current flexis whilst getting chaffed are actually still perfectly fine... if they could be secured properly.

Can somebody please post a pic here of their standard rear Flexi set up showing the fixing points (I believe one is on the strut itself) but obviously as abovetherim has mentioned there are others which I don't have...

Many many thanks if anybody has one they can post...
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

I am assuming the hard line to the Flexi is screwed into the restrictor with a brake line fitting. You could run just new kunifer pipe from there using the old fitting at the restrictor (or a new one if you find the size) and the new MR2 size fitting at the Flexi end.
If you buy the new Flexi lines and take em to a decent motor factors they should be able to supply the correct fitting for pennies
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

defo secure the rear flexi lines into the wheel arch. I didn't and had a brake pipe failure on the hardline under the body which i put down to the hardline flexing because no bracket. Lucky for me the pipe broke on the run to the Applecross and not on the Applecross!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”