Coil on plug and Timing light.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Coil on plug and Timing light.

Post by Ryan S »

I really need to get my timing set spot on. It's close but it's deffo not bang on. Tried with the timing light but the light seemed to be all over the place. Spoke to Tom at fensports and he says to turn the clip round? we had a normal HT lead coming out of the coil then to the plug, timing light was taking a pulse from that but as said lights was insane. Anybody have a sure fire way of doing this? The same timing light was used to set timing on another mr2 recently with no issues.
SonicSW20

Re: Coil on plug and Timing light.

Post by SonicSW20 »

Sounds like you're not in static / locked timing mode. For the stock ECU putting it into diag mode does this, for aftermarket I assume this is something you can switch in software? Aftermarket ECU stuff is outside my limited area of knowledge.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

i actually did have it locked mate. just the timing light was going mental.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Fensport will get you in, tell you that there's 100 things wrong, rack up a big bill then adjust it forwards, then backwards.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

androo007 wrote:Fensport will get you in, tell you that there's 100 things wrong, rack up a big bill then adjust it forwards, then backwards.

Car's booked in with Russ Paton on the 8th of July mate. Fixed price including adjusting the timing and trigger offset 8)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”