Advice on engine check

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Keelanw

Advice on engine check

Post by Keelanw »

Hi all. New to the site but have been browsing for awhile. Im currently looking for a rev 3 mr2 turbo. I have one arranged to look at in a few days time. My only reservation on what ive been told about the car is its not an original turbo model its a NA with a celica gt4 engine swap. Is there anything in particuler inshould be sure to check for or have a good look at? I know the turbo models and celica gt4's share the same engine in principal the 3sgte but in terms of ancilories and sensers etc would there be anything in particuler to be aware of??

Thanks for reading and looking forword to seeing all the info the site has to offer. Thanks
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: Advice on engine check

Post by Ryan S »

everything is the same. except if the GT4 ecu has been used you'll get a check engine light if using an intercooler. GT4 uses a chargecooler and the ecu runs the CC pump. If that's not wired up you'll have a permanent CEL. Other than that there's no differences. Just look out for the usual oil leaks etc...Rocker cover gasket is a common one and a cheap/easy fix. Engine should sound smooth, no tapping or knocking. Good luck with the purchase!
Keelanw

Post by Keelanw »

Thanks for that ryan. Appeciate it ill definitly find out which he used. From what ive read on the charge cooler it sounds like alot of effort to have gone to so hopefully he either has it done correct or he just left it as intercooler and used mr2 ecu.

In terms of the suspension and brakes etc is there much of a difference between the NA and turbo setup of a rev3 do you know?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

There's no difference at all. Brakes and suspension are all the same from rev2 onwards. Turbo and NA :thumleft:

having said that, My UK rev 3 non turbo rode a hell of a lot better than my rev3 turbo. I dunno if it had aftermarket antiroll bars or whatever but it's the smoothest mr2 I've ever had.
Keelanw

Post by Keelanw »

Hmm interesting. I would of automaticaly tought the turbo may have a stiffer setup or something. Ill have a good look around it sunday anyway and report back here what i think. Trying to not rush into buying one but the prices are just going up and up at the minute it seems. Had a na few years ago my next mr2 will be a turbo and will be one of those long time life cars all going well 🤞
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Keelanw wrote:Hmm interesting. I would of automaticaly tought the turbo may have a stiffer setup or something. Ill have a good look around it sunday anyway and report back here what i think. Trying to not rush into buying one but the prices are just going up and up at the minute it seems. Had a na few years ago my next mr2 will be a turbo and will be one of those long time life cars all going well 🤞

Na no difference mate. i know there are different size rear anti roll bars but sizing seems to be anyones guess. Not specific to turbo or NA as far as I'm aware too.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Shocks and springs are different from turbo to NA though, the weight distribution is different due to the turbo engine/gearbox being heavier than the na. If you look at lowering springs listed on yahoo japan, there are usually two variants for both na and turbos.

All turbos from Rev2 onwards got Billstein shocks, compared to the NA's which get toyota branded ones which are kyb or tokiko I can't remember exactly which. The only outlier are the anniversary model NA's which did come with Billsteins.

The standard NA setup is very compliant tho, but has way too much bodyroll for my liking.

Anti-roll bars are different from revision iirc, rev2 onwards are thicker but not different from turbo to na.

Also just wondering, if this is a conversion from the GT4 what have they done gearbox wise? Pretty sure you can't use the Celica box? Did they get a mr2 turbo gearbox for it?
Keelanw

Post by Keelanw »

Not to sure tbh didnt go into much details about it. Id prefer to have a good look around it myself first and then throw the questions at him. Id assume he used the mr2 box but whether the mr2 shafts work into the box or not i dont know. He may have just changed the cv joints or something to get um to work but il know more when i look at it sunday and il post what i find out here and let ye know how it goes.

My only major wurry is if i was to buy it and go down this route what would running into worn or faulty parts down the line be like with different seners or engine gearbox mounts throttle bodies turbos etc.

And in years to come would the resale of it be very low in comparison to original rev3 turbos. I guess il look at it first and go from there.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

The motor and the associated electronics are identical between the two cars, barring the stuff for the Celicas A2W IC because the MR2 had a sidemount instead.

Engine mounts should be mr2 ones anyway, same goes for other stuff that would be different like the alternator.

It's pretty uncommon to use the NA box to bolt to a turbo motor and honestly if it was I'd avoid the car completely. The turbo gearbox has longer gearing and is much beefier than the na one.

Another thing to find out is what kind of celica gt4 the motor came out, as the ST185 motor would be the equivalent of a rev2 turbo and the ST205 is what the rev3 and onwards cars got.
muckyman

Post by muckyman »

any photos you can share, or a link to the advert?
Keelanw

Post by Keelanw »

Race Idiot wrote:The motor and the associated electronics are identical between the two cars, barring the stuff for the Celicas A2W IC because the MR2 had a sidemount instead.

Engine mounts should be mr2 ones anyway, same goes for other stuff that would be different like the alternator.

It's pretty uncommon to use the NA box to bolt to a turbo motor and honestly if it was I'd avoid the car completely. The turbo gearbox has longer gearing and is much beefier than the na one.

Another thing to find out is what kind of celica gt4 the motor came out, as the ST185 motor would be the equivalent of a rev2 turbo and the ST205 is what the rev3 and onwards cars got.

Thats a very good point. Any help as to how id know from looking at the engine is it the 185 or 205?

Was talking to him today and he said they used rev3 gearbox and ecu. Idealy theyll have used the st205 engine.

Rev3 turbo and st205 turbo the same aswel im presuming?
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

yes
st185 - rev 2
st205 - rev 3
Keelanw

Post by Keelanw »

Nice one thanks.

Is there a tell tale sign to know the difference between st 185 and st205 from lookin in the engine? Id be happy if it was the st205 as its a rev 3 im looking for so atleast that would be better then it being st185
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Race Idiot wrote:Shocks and springs are different from turbo to NA though, the weight distribution is different due to the turbo engine/gearbox being heavier than the na. If you look at lowering springs listed on yahoo japan, there are usually two variants for both na and turbos.

All turbos from Rev2 onwards got Billstein shocks, compared to the NA's which get toyota branded ones which are kyb or tokiko I can't remember exactly which. The only outlier are the anniversary model NA's which did come with Billsteins.

The standard NA setup is very compliant tho, but has way too much bodyroll for my liking.

Anti-roll bars are different from revision iirc, rev2 onwards are thicker but not different from turbo to na.

Also just wondering, if this is a conversion from the GT4 what have they done gearbox wise? Pretty sure you can't use the Celica box? Did they get a mr2 turbo gearbox for it?

Apologies bud. I never knew this ^^^
markstevieandmads

You can tell the difference.
Rev 1/2 has a air flow meter by the air filter and rev 3 has t

Also the inlet manifolds are different. Google wiill help with pics.
Keelanw

Post by Keelanw »

Well lads. I looked at 2 mr2's today. One was a rev3 turbo with alot of outdated mods parked up for along time and was bad enough with rust underneat it was too much work for fhe price he was asking i think.

But the second mr2, the one i started this thread about seems to have been well worth a look. It turns out its originaly a rev3 turbo that the engine went in some time ago and was replaced with the st205 engine. standerd car with standerd mr2 wheels, only mods are a decat, blitz turbo timer and boost controler and blitz exaust i think. Was very happy with the car and how it drove. Needs a few small bits but nothing major atall atall.

Im going to buy it this week all going well.

Im just wondering about classic insurence. Will it help my cause with getting insirence quotes if i mention im a member or this forum?

Im only going to be driving the odd day and mostly just weekends and park it over winter but id like to have it insured all year round just to be safe them sorry. Any advice or opinions will be gladly appreciated. Thanks lads.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

It's never made any difference for me mentioning being a member. Just means they will be able to monitor you more easily :)
Keelanw

Post by Keelanw »

Bought a rev3 turbo last night. Standerd apart from exaust and indiction kit and one or two small bits. Needs a good cleaning and polishing and a few small stupid bits done to it. My plans for it are fairly simple. All new suspension, brakes and coilovers. Good service to the engine and gearbox and keep it clean and fresh looking for the time being anyway. Will post a few pics when im home.

With regards the suspension bushes and control arms. I can only find polybushed kits on ebay and that, are there any websites selling a suspension kit for the mk2 that are just standerd bushings?
markstevieandmads

If your going coilovers then id go for a polybush kit.

If you was keeping standard suspension then maybe standard bushes but i cant see the point if going coilovers anyway
Keelanw

Post by Keelanw »

markstevieandmads wrote:If your going coilovers then id go for a polybush kit.

If you was keeping standard suspension then maybe standard bushes but i cant see the point if going coilovers anyway

My reasons would be better qaulity then lowering springs in my opinion and
Adjustable ride height to my likening.
Also i just like how they feel on old jap cars hugging the road.
I think the full polybush kit would just make it to hard and stiff

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”