Power steering issue (not a relay problem)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Black Light 93

Power steering issue (not a relay problem)

Post by Black Light 93 »

After months of no power steering, I've decided to finally try and fix the issue. For some time, the ps just wouldn't turn on what so ever even after checking continuity in the ps systems and trying the relay trick many times. After letting my mechanic have a little look at it, it will now turn on when the car starts and turn off after a couple of seconds. I've tried following the self-diagnostic as per the BGB and struggled to get a fault code but the light would just flash continuously. I am running out of patience and considering removing the ps rack and making it a weight saving modification but of course, I would rather fix it. Has anyone experienced this issue before and can shed some light on a fix or some ideas on what I could try to help narrow the fault down. All help will be much appreciated. Many thanks

93 Mk2 Rev2 Redtop beams (From Celica gen 6) - Power steering system is all original and has not been altered.
WetNipples

Re: Power steering issue (not a relay problem)

Post by WetNipples »

Have you thought about checking the relay?
shinny

Post by shinny »

The PAS ECU doesn't store codes... you need to grab the code before turning off the ignition. That really should give you a code if the PAS light stays on / comes back on after starting the engine.

I had a b**** of a time sorting out my old turbo's PAS. Here's my thread about code 13, which appears to be a Japanese only code, and a slightly bodged fix: forums/viewtopic.php?p=1495153
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

i had PS issue, it wasn't the relay or normal things to look for. It was the indicator stalks. There is a sensor in them that sends signal to PS. Replaced them and was fine again.
Black Light 93

Post by Black Light 93 »

alanmr2turbo have you any more info on the stalks? How much and where did you get the spare parts? What's involved? Thanks
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Get a set from ebay or someone stripping a car. Didn't cost me anything as I got them off a mate.

Take off steering wheel cowling, take off steering wheel, undo 4 screws, follow wires and unplug them, remove, fit new ones. simple job.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”