Turbo Clutch upgrade options

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

futhermucker250

Turbo Clutch upgrade options

Post by futhermucker250 »

Howdy all,

I got a Rev 4 Turbo, currently running 17ish PSI with supporting mods, clutch has started to slip under load..

Mods: 3" DP, 3" exhaust, Greedy copy intercooler with 9" puller fan, Apexi intake.

What would be a decent upgrade option?

I'll be keeping this car for some time so I want to replace the clutch with something which will hold more power than the CT20B if it ever fails.

I haven't yet had her back on the rollers since the mods but I guess it's 300bhp?? at the moment - she did run 244bhp completely stock - airbox, exhaust, intercooler etc..

I've seen these https://xxxx/collecti ... 2418641226

Do I just simply need a plate which will hold max say 400 ft/lb as I'll never be going more for a road car...

Many thanks..
CalMac

Re: Turbo Clutch upgrade options

Post by CalMac »

Can't see the link you posted - think it may be to the site of one of the banned traders on here :lol:

I've been through quite a few different clutches over the years - currently running a Competition Clutch Stage 4 with light flywheel (bought from Larkspeed website) and it's been pretty good but is on its way out now after maybe 5000 miles (beginning to think maybe I'm just great at going through clutches and gearboxes to be honest lol). I've very rarely had any slip and would guess I'm running somewhere between 330-350hp on a Turbo Technics S148 at 1.2 bar.

Didn't think the Exedy was up to much really - had an Exedy 'Pink' clutch on the Subaru before and that didn't fare too well either so personally I would look at ACT or CC. I run an ACT paddle clutch on my MX5 which has seen years of hard use and still has plenty of life.

If I had an unlimited budget, I'd probably look as OSGiken as I've always heard fantastic reviews. But I believe they're pretty heavy duty clutches, which is my preference to be honest.

I'm guessing most owners on here will recommend the OEM clutch, and it may be fine depending on how you drive but there's nothing I hate more than clutch slip so I'd recommend going for slight overkill :mrgreen:

See my thread here:
https://imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1665450

Just realised in that thread I never clarified what the original clutch my '2 came with was - an Exedy Hyper Twin Plate, which should have handled 500hp+. It was a xxxxxx to drive, and I even wore that down :lol:
futhermucker250

Banned trader, hmm, why is that??

Anyhow, I'm thinking the Stage 2 clutch from xxxx. rated at 398ft/ls which will be more than enough for what I'm thinking including future upgrades..

Just looking on Larkspeed now - some good option on there, this looks decent for the money. https://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?p=85160622600&a=i
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Competition Clutch "Stage 2" in mine. Seems good so far.

Just make sure you order an OEM release bearing, as pretty much all the aftermarket ones are proper xxxx.
futhermucker250

SonicSW20 wrote:Competition Clutch "Stage 2" in mine. Seems good so far.

Just make sure you order an OEM release bearing, as pretty much all the aftermarket ones are proper xxxx.

Cheers thanks, I was going with an OEM release bearing..

Settles on the CC Clutch stage 3, 405bhp rating. That should do the job!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”