[Mk2] [Turbo] Rev2 Turbo overheating on motorways

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

AdamNorris

[Mk2] [Turbo] Rev2 Turbo overheating on motorways

Post by AdamNorris »

Hi guys, last couple of months my rev2 has been overheating only on motorway journeys after around 30 mins of driving. Needle will rise gradually after 30 mins, drop then about 10 mins later shoot to the top and I have had to pull over.
Ive changed -Coolant
- Radiator
-Thermostat
Car is happy to sit in traffic to and driven around streets but just on motorways it will overheat.
Worth mentioning, car is running rich and does have a 'pinging noise' normally when its hot, not due to fuel as I only use 99octane.
Do you think the pinging is related/what could be the next step to find the source of the overheating. Car doesn't seem to have any other symptoms of head gasket failure.

Thanks!
2barGee

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Rev2 Turbo overheating on motorways

Post by 2barGee »

AdamNorris wrote:Hi guys, last couple of months my rev2 has been overheating only on motorway journeys after around 30 mins of driving. Needle will rise gradually after 30 mins, drop then about 10 mins later shoot to the top and I have had to pull over.
Ive changed -Coolant
- Radiator
-Thermostat
Car is happy to sit in traffic to and driven around streets but just on motorways it will overheat.
Worth mentioning, car is running rich and does have a 'pinging noise' normally when its hot, not due to fuel as I only use 99octane.
Do you think the pinging is related/what could be the next step to find the source of the overheating. Car doesn't seem to have any other symptoms of head gasket failure.

Thanks!

What make thermostat did you fit?

Are you losing any coolant at all?

If you boost it loads does it overheat?

Is any coolant getting pushed out of the expansion tank?
AdamNorris

Post by AdamNorris »

OEM thermostat
Maybe a very small amount of loss but nothing significant
When it over heats, steam has been coming out the filler cap, and it did start to go up in temp once when I was giving it some for a bout 15 minutes so when it was under boost
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

AdamNorris wrote:OEM thermostat
Maybe a very small amount of loss but nothing significant
When it over heats, steam has been coming out the filler cap, and it did start to go up in temp once when I was giving it some for a bout 15 minutes so when it was under boost

Does the temp gauge reach half way quickly? Does it fluctuate alot whilst driving?

When you say filler cap do you mean on the expansion tank? Or the coolant yellow cap?

I'd change the yellow cap one as your next thing to change as they are a common item that fails now with the age of the cars.
AdamNorris

Post by AdamNorris »

Yeah temp gauge reaches temp very quickly, also it does fluctuate, will go from normal temp to cold when I give it boost for the first time (normally joining a motorway) then it will come back up. Yeah I mean the yellow cap is where steam comes out. I don't think it was coming out of the expansion tank. Should I get an aftermarket thermostat? There's a blitz one on MR2 Ben.
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

AdamNorris wrote:Yeah temp gauge reaches temp very quickly, also it does fluctuate, will go from normal temp to cold when I give it boost for the first time (normally joining a motorway) then it will come back up. Yeah I mean the yellow cap is where steam comes out. I don't think it was coming out of the expansion tank. Should I get an aftermarket thermostat? There's a blitz one on MR2 Ben.

I'd change the cap first, just get a Toyota 1 as getting one with a higher bar level could cause you more problems.

Did you test the thermostat before you fitted it?
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Im wondering if the thermostat had failed so when replaced it now has air in the system.

Id give the whole system a good flush and the make sure its properly bled
Draven

Post by Draven »

Flush the system, take the thermostat out drop it in boiling water to double check that it is working properly. Fill back backup and make sure you've got all of the air out. MR2's are notorious for being difficult to bleed the cooling system.

:thumleft:

Return to “Mechanical”