Cam cover removal / gasket part numbers help

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Racer7

Cam cover removal / gasket part numbers help

Post by Racer7 »

Just ordered a new Electrostart (thanks for the recommendation Shinny) alternator - fingers crossed it'll be a good 'un.

Before I attempt that re-install I am going to replace the cam cover gaskets as I suspect an oil leak is what goosed the previous one (saw less than 2,000 miles).

Looking at my engine bay it seems that the oil build up is around the spark plug lead. This is not really near the cam cover so I'm not sure if changing it would make a difference?

What are the other areas that a 'drip, drip' on to the alternator might come from?

This image stolen from the internet actually looks like how my bay appears in terms of oily residue.

It sounds like the cam cover gasket change seems to be straightforward for me to tackle. I'd rather buy Mr.T parts than ebay but cannot find confirmation of the part numbers. Can someone help me out on this?

Also is there a guide available - I've scoured the web but can only find descriptions of the process and not the process (pictures or other). I'm prone to f.ing things up so a step-by-step would be amazing.

As an aside - what trolley jacks you guys using? I am going to get rid of my Clarke quicklift as annoyingly it doesn't get under the car without me driving onto blocks of wood........I note this has nothing to do with a cam cover change but saves a new thread!

Thanks

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”