[Mk2] [Turbo] i should have listened to the forum advice....

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rossonza
Premium Member

[Mk2] [Turbo] i should have listened to the forum advice....

Post by rossonza »

So....

my car passed its MOT Tuesday with 0 advisories. which means ive been driving it about.

i cant believe how loud the walbro 255 is...... and yes its a genuine one. I had one in my old mx5 and dont remember it being this loud. i mean seriously its like a bloody race car haha.

Also my Apexi GT exhaust is too loud for me....maybe im old and haven't realised :-(
SonicSW20

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] i should have listened to the forum advice....

Post by SonicSW20 »

My Whinebro is loud too.

Going to swap it for that Supra/Denso pump that's a direct replacement.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

SonicSW20 wrote:My Whinebro is loud too.

its just the thought of having to drop the tank again...... was tempted to dynamat the tunnel
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

The apexi is one of the best exhaust I've ever heard on a 3sgte! Extremely loud though haha! Surprised you can hear the walbro at all 😂
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Ryan S wrote:The apexi is one of the best exhaust I've ever heard on a 3sgte! Extremely loud though haha! Surprised you can hear the walbro at all 😂

dont get me wrong, it sounds amazing on full throttle. its just on over run it seems like it reverberates around the cabin.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Do you still have a cat? Even with a completely standard exhaust the turbos are still pretty loud.

I have a HKS exhaust, with the bung and no cat I get around 90db at track noise testing. I still fancy a twin exit like that new Greddy or maybe a Legalis R

I hated the apexi on mine, sounded far too farty. Much prefered how it sounded with the Fujitsubo RM01, which is a very simmilar looking exhaust to the apexi.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

rossonza wrote:
Ryan S wrote:The apexi is one of the best exhaust I've ever heard on a 3sgte! Extremely loud though haha! Surprised you can hear the walbro at all 😂

dont get me wrong, it sounds amazing on full throttle. its just on over run it seems like it reverberates around the cabin.

Get an Active Tail Silencer:

https://www.nengun.com/apexi/active-tail-silencer

Quite ingenious really - it opens based on exhaust pressure so is not restrictive at full throttle, but makes it much more civil at other times.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Race Idiot wrote:
I have a HKS exhaust, with the bung and no cat I get around 90db at track noise testing. I still fancy a twin exit like that new Greddy or maybe a Legalis R

My Mongoose measured 92dB last time out. Decat and no bungs. I have a Legalis R to go on at some point, needs new pipework though.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

SonicSW20 wrote:
rossonza wrote:

Quite ingenious really - it opens based on exhaust pressure so is not restrictive at full throttle, but makes it much more civil at other times.

i didnt realise such a device existed :thumleft:
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

im running 3" BRD decat straight off the turbo, so its 3" all the way from turbo back. no bungs etc.
b4ss

Post by b4ss »

SonicSW20 wrote:My Whinebro is loud too.

Does anyone have AEM 320lph fuel pump, its meant to be as quiet as stock, or at least quieter than walbro?

Do u have a link handy to online stockist of the Denso direct replacement Fuel pump?
Thanks,
Tony
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Threads like these do make me laugh!!!

These cars are like 25yrs old so they are never gonna be quiet lol

Is a noisy fuel pump really a problem? I mean the rest of the car is creaking and banging so is it really that big a problem?

Im running a walboro and i dont notice the noise so i must be going deaf in my old age.

Really... if a noisy fuel pump is really a problem for you then you better go buy a lexus.

(All tongue in cheek... no offence intended)
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

markstevieandmads wrote:Threads like these do make me laugh!!!

Is a noisy fuel pump really a problem? I mean the rest of the car is creaking and banging so is it really that big a problem?

Im running a walboro and i dont notice the noise so i must be going deaf in my old age.

Really... if a noisy fuel pump is really a problem for you then you better go buy a lexus.

The ones that whine make quite a high pitched, annoying sound. My car doesn't creak and bang, if yours does then replace those worn parts :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

I had a genuine walbro pump fitted on my old mr2 turbo and never once heard it :lol:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

SonicSW20 wrote:
rossonza wrote:

There's also a multitude of of remote controlled versions. Contemplating getting one when the car's finished as I'm home after midnight most nights and live in a nice area ha!
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

markstevieandmads wrote:Threads like these do make me laugh!!!

the cars loud, thats what i want part of the experience of a sports car isnt it :-)

but seriously.... this pump is ridiculous. 100% going to swap it out for something else.

the car otherwise just has a few vibrations etc... i fixed one last night finding out the passenger door speaker wasn't actually attached to the door...

im going to work my way through the vibrations etc. i know i dropped a bolt somewhere behind the drivers seat headrest area in the metalwork around the rear window (i was replacing the rear glass). one of my side panels isn't fully done up either which is causing a vibration in the cabin at certain revs.

ive had old cars, my daily isnt new and creaks/clangs etc.

:mrgreen:
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

craig wrote:I had a genuine walbro pump fitted on my old mr2 turbo and never once heard it :lol:

me too craig, had one in my mx5. could hear it ever so slightly. as soon as your moving the sound wasnt there.

this sounds like its pushing 4000lph not 255lph ](*,)
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Ryan S wrote:There's also a multitude of of remote controlled versions. Contemplating getting one when the car's finished as I'm home after midnight most nights and live in a nice area ha!

Im in the same boat, nice area and i feel bad starting the car at 6:40am. its not my normal daily though, but im still interested in some options for the exhaust.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

rossonza wrote:
Ryan S wrote:There's also a multitude of of remote controlled versions. Contemplating getting one when the car's finished as I'm home after midnight most nights and live in a nice area ha!

Im in the same boat, nice area and i feel bad starting the car at 6:40am. its not my normal daily though, but im still interested in some options for the exhaust.

On my old 335i. I was going to use a remote valve. Basically one side of the exhaust is silenced and the other isn't. Close the valve and it goes through the silenced side only, open it and it goes through both. You would need a twin exit obviously and a heap of custom work done but it worked amazingly!!
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Ryan S wrote:
rossonza wrote:

On my old 335i. I was going to use a remote valve. Basically one side of the exhaust is silenced and the other isn't. Close the valve and it goes through the silenced side only, open it and it goes through both. You would need a twin exit obviously and a heap of custom work done but it worked amazingly!!

my old 335i i mapped out cold start waste gate opening so mornings were perfect. i did remove the valve at the back too so it was louder for normal use. but it had a great sound and wasnt too loud.

my more pressing issue is fuel pump

bosch 044 the one to go for?

Return to “Modifications”