Ooops! Little help needed - Rear Axle 1995 Turbo Coupe'

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

l1ca

Ooops! Little help needed - Rear Axle 1995 Turbo Coupe'

Post by l1ca »

Hey all, need a little advice on the disassembly of the rear axle / suspension arms on a 1995 Turbo.

Ive been studying the BGB and in true workshop manual style it all looks like it comes apart fairly easy enough. But is it. What am I getting myself into here?

Reason for wanting to do this is to paint up the hub, and all the adjoining arms to match my refreshed wheelwell, shiny new coilovers and some b-e-a-utiful droplinks which ill show off another time.

I have tried hammeriting with a paintbrush to spare myself the job but it looks a little pants to be honest and since doing this will also give me the perfect opportunity to replace all the bushes with some polyurethne ones, well xxxx....here we go.

First question, the BGB says to remove the pin and nut cover on the hub and then remove the nut. THEN REMOVE THE BRAKES, discs, calipers and what not. Unfortunately ive already removed everything up to the hub at this point.

Is it still possible to get that nut out? Or have I shot myself in the foot until I get the brakes back on only to have to take them all off again?

:lol:
SonicSW20

Re: Ooops! Little help needed - Rear Axle 1995 Turbo Coupe'

Post by SonicSW20 »

Yes, it can still be removed. It is mega tight though.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

put some of the wheel nuts back on, use a long lever and place it between wheel nut studs with the lower end of it resting on the floor. you have to do it with the lever at '/ ' that angle so that it fights the undoing of the hub nut.

large socket on the hub nut and a good breaker bar. have at it.. standing on the breaker bar and bouncing can help, or using another strong tube (scafold pole) to make the breaker bar longer for more leverage. That or an impact gun. If you don't have an impact gun and it's not starting to move, get a mate to strike the breaker bar head while you are applying pressure on the bar. get them to keep hitting it like trying to drive in a nail, it's a poor man's impact gun trick.

just make sure the car isn't any higher than it needs to be and is well supported on stand(s). put the lose wheel under the middle of the rear subframe as a just-in-case measure.

these nuts can be quite tight, expect it to resist. sometimes they just undo first attempt.

Don't take any more parts off the hub as you need it to be supported while undoing the hub nut.

Good luck.
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

That's some great advice there, thanks be l very much! :)

I have recently bought a 32mm socket and a big ass breaker bar, hopefully it'll come off. If they doesn't work hopefully that Makita impact driver that turned up with it will game enough grunt to shift it.

I'm just a bit concerned about the whole bouncing up and down on it. It's currently sat on axle stands and whilst it's been fine for over nearly 12 months I'd hate to upset this thing and have it fall off after all this work. *Touches wood!

And my wheels are nice, put them under the car he says! Check out this guy! :lol: let's just hope the impact driver works. :pray:

Seriously though, thanks for the advice. Let's see how it goes this weekend... Weather's been super cold recently so maybe now isn't the right time and I'd be better off waiting until it's a little warmer :-k
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Well, that was easy.

It kinda went like this:
- Got socket and breaker bar
- breaker bar took my weight - sigh, too early for effort.
- Impact Driver :twisted:
- 15 seconds..... then this:

Suprisingly photogenic arnt they!

Anyways, they are off, next up is stripping them all down for refurb, ill continue all that on my build thread.

Thanks all! Some great help :clap:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”