Dan's Cosmo Blue, REV 5 T-Bar Turbo, YVS Built, Fensport Tuned *sold*

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

2barGee

Dan's Cosmo Blue, REV 5 T-Bar Turbo, YVS Built, Fensport Tuned *sold*

Post by 2barGee »

Thought it was about time I did build thread as I've owned 7 MR2s now, which have ranged from NA's to big power turbo builds, t-tops, hard tops and even a moon roof thrown in for good measure!
This particular MR2 I've actually owned before and ended up buying it back off the person I sold it to.

So it's a REV5 Turbo T-Bar in Cosmo Blue, originally a UK car that had a REV3+ Turbo conversion done before I bought it. It was pretty much stock, apart from a BLITZ Nur Spec exhaust and a Blitz induction kit and my god it sounded awesome!
It was also running some wheels that weren't staggered and weren't to my taste at all, so they were quickly changed, I also fitted some Tein lowering springs and this is how she looked back in 2013.

ImageMr2 by Daniel Godfrey, on Flickr

Image2019-01-09_09-18-57 by Daniel Godfrey, on Flickr

I then went down the ST205 Charge cooler route and also added a boost controller for good measure.

Nothing really changed to the car then, just keeping up with oil changes etc. I then had the chance to buy my friends awesome spec Impreza GC8 so I sold the MR2 and my Clio 172 track car to fund buying the Impreza.
A year or so passed and I'd saved up some money so I bought another MR2 and built that from the ground up, from an NA to a forged Turbo lump. Again another opportunity came up (can you spot a trend here) and I sold both the Impreza and the MR2 to fund the purchase of a BMW M3 E92!! Wow what a machine that was.
I had the M3 just over a year and loved every second. I wanted a new track car and I couldn't bring myself to track the immaculate M3 so I ended up selling and buying back the Cosmo blue MR2 which was now running an impressive engine set up.....

....Motec M4 PRO, GT3082r and lots of boost.
Full spec to follow.
Last edited by 2barGee on Tue May 07, 2019 10:49 am, edited 5 times in total.
Draven

Re: Dan's Cosmo Blue, REV 5 T-Bar Turbo, YVS Built, Fensport Tuned *sold*

Post by Draven »

Oh my isn't that a lovely car
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

following.
muckyman

Post by muckyman »

Are you copying me sir?
I have also had many MR2s of all varieties and owned a UK Rev 5 with a turbo conversion a few years ago, which I bought back last weekend after selling my E93 M3.
Spooky :D :lol:
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

So when i bought the car back last year this is how she looked.

ImagePSX_20180804_215958 by Daniel Godfrey, on Flickr

ImagePSX_20180804_220416 by Daniel Godfrey, on Flickr

Main difference to note from the outside are, Berk Exhaust, BC Coilovers, Advan wheels, Turbo engine lid. Carbon side vent scoops. Clear front wing indicators.

There were a few interior bits that i needed to change ASAP, the seats in the car were aftermarket and me being 6ft 4 meant i basically didn't fit in the car comfortably at all. So i managed to source some immaculate standard leather seats and instantly the driving position was transformed.

ImageIMG_20190111_081655 by Daniel Godfrey, on Flickr

The steering wheel was HUGE and just didn't feel right to me. So i sourced a nice suede 330mm.

ImageIMG_20180728_110854 by Daniel Godfrey, on Flickr

Again being 6ft 4 i have the seat pretty much as far back as possible, so i felt like the steering wheel was too far away now........so i bought a B-G racing alloy steering wheel spacer to get the wheel into a perfect position.
Last edited by 2barGee on Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Draven wrote:Oh my isn't that a lovely car

cheers mate :thumleft:
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Ryan S wrote:following.

I've been following your build as well mate......nearly there
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

muckyman wrote:Are you copying me sir?
I have also had many MR2s of all varieties and owned a UK Rev 5 with a turbo conversion a few years ago, which I bought back last weekend after selling my E93 M3.
Spooky :D :lol:

No way mate how strange is that!!!

M3 what a machine that is!!! I do miss mine!!!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

2barGee wrote:

Cheers mate, I keep going to take it out on the road and finding wee problems. Waiting on a new clutch line arriving now 🙄

Cosmos blue has to be one of the nicest colours! Also, i never had a m3 but did have an e92 335i. About 400-450bhp. The big ends went :( Last BMW i ever buy.
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Ryan S wrote:
2barGee wrote:

Cheers mate, I keep going to take it out on the road and finding wee problems. Waiting on a new clutch line arriving now 🙄

Cosmos blue has to be one of the nicest colours! Also, i never had a m3 but did have an e92 335i. About 400-450bhp. The big ends went :( Last BMW i ever buy.

Be mint when it's all done though, then you can get out and enjoy it!!
Comos looks amazing in the sun. Really needs to be cleaned a lot though just like any dark colour i guess.

Rod bearings were always mentioned with m3, no idea what i'd of done if they'ed have gone :shock:

Think if i ever got one again i'd get them replaced with anything over 70,000 miles on the engine just as a precaution. Crazy thick bmw oil and tight tolerances don't mix well when people don't let the engine warm up before giving it beans!!
craig

Post by craig »

Stunning motor! :thumleft:
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Engine Spec:

Carolla WRC manifold
86mm CP pistons
1000cc Injectors
Aeromotive FPR
Custom screamer pipe
GT3082R running 1.8 ish Bar
Motec M4 Pro with launch control
ACT clutch
Standard rev 3 head / standard cams
Greddy sidemount
Water injection set to come on once temps hit 40c+ which only happens on track after a few laps.
External wastegate :twisted:

The engine as you can see is not a show pony........i might get the camcover done at some point maybe..........

ImagePSX_20190111_083946 by Daniel Godfrey, on Flickr
Last edited by 2barGee on Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

What kind of power you making on the sidemount?
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Ryan S wrote:What kind of power you making on the sidemount?

Adrian road maps all his cars so no idea on exact BHP. Adrian estimated around the 500bhp mark.

Intake temps were never an issue whilst mapping so Adrian just kept going....got to 1.8bar and Adrian said everything looked fine. I might get it on a dyno for a power run at some point but not really bothered about figures........i prefer just taking people out and see what they think.

It's silly fast in a straight line, i've just bought some R888R for track work as the Nankang NSR2 that are currently fitted are not to my liking on track. They seem ok around the 1.5bar mark but anything over that and they really struggle to put the power down.
Last edited by 2barGee on Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

2barGee wrote:

Adrian road maps all his cars so no idea on exact BHP. Adrian estimated around the 500bhp mark.

Intake temps were never an issue whilst mapping so Adrian just kept going....got to 1.8bar and Adrian said everything looked fine....so we ended up at 2bar. I might get it on a dyno for a power run at some point but not really bothered about figures........i prefer just taking people out and see what they think.

It's silly fast in a straight line, i've just bought some R888R for track work as the Nankang NSR2 that are currently fitted are not to my liking on track. They seem ok around the 1.5bar mark but anything over that and they really struggle to put the power down.

you are kidding man!! I'm so tempted to just leave mine on a sidemount, would save sooo much hassle!
craig

Post by craig »

Ryan S wrote:
2barGee wrote:

Intake temps were never an issue whilst mapping so Adrian just kept going....got to 1.8bar and Adrian said everything looked fine....so we ended up at 2bar. I might get it on a dyno for a power run at some point but not really bothered about figures........i prefer just taking people out and see what they think.

you are kidding man!! I'm so tempted to just leave mine on a sidemount, would save sooo much hassle!

less to go wrong too :thumleft:
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Ryan S wrote:
2barGee wrote:

What side mount have you got? Going off what Si at YVS has said the greddy one is very good, and it works very well on my setup / turbo etc.
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

Lovely machine sir, following this

Also Hi fellow cosmos man

how do you find the Nankang NSR2s on the road, wet & dry?

Regards Brian
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

2barGee wrote:
Ryan S wrote:
2barGee wrote:

What side mount have you got? Going off what Si at YVS has said the greddy one is very good, and it works very well on my setup / turbo etc.

just an ebay one. I'd be keen to see intake temps with it. I could sell my CC setup though and buy a decent one.
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

wilkie senior wrote:Lovely machine sir, following this

Also Hi fellow cosmos man

how do you find the Nankang NSR2s on the road, wet & dry?

Regards Brian

Hi Brian, I'm running the 180 compound, if i was going to buy them again i'd try and get the 120 compound but i think they've stopped making them now the A1R is out.

But I do rate them as a fast road tyre. They last AGES and i mean ages!!

When they were brand new they were very good with very high grip levels, but after a few track days they went a bit vague and not as responsive.

They are however similar price wise to AD08r which i do prefer. But both arnt the best in the wet. If you do the odd track day i'd 100% get ADO8r, great dry grip and last for ages again.

Return to “Member Profiles”