re-route recirc pipework?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

muckyman

re-route recirc pipework?

Post by muckyman »

Hi all
I have an Apexi intake on my car, with a recirc dump valve.
I'm not a big fan of the 'psssttt' of a vent to atmosphere dump valve, but I still get this noise on re-circ.
I'm guessing its because its plumbed to the intake very closely to the air filter and I'm hearing the noise through that.
If I were to replumb this closer to the turbo, would it reduce the noise thats escaping via the air filter?
Would swapping the hoses on the intake pipework for the BOV recirc and the charcoal filter make it quiter?
ta
Michael
SonicSW20

Re: re-route recirc pipework?

Post by SonicSW20 »

Not really, the reason you get the noise is because the intake tract is so open compared to the OEM one, with less volume as well as there's no resonators etc.
muckyman

Post by muckyman »

I'll have to learn to live with it :D
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Change it to a stock valve. They are silent. I seen one sell on her for £20 the other day. Hell of a lot easier than hacking up your intake pipe too!
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

They're quiet compared to an aftermarket one, but still quite noticeable with an open aftermarket intake.

https://streamable.com/c066f

Excuse the horrible line
:lol:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Whaaaaat??? I've never heard a stock valve sound like that on recirc! Terrible line but excellent control. I'd have ended up backwards!
muckyman

Post by muckyman »

Ryan S wrote:Change it to a stock valve. They are silent. I seen one sell on her for £20 the other day. Hell of a lot easier than hacking up your intake pipe too!

not sure that would work, as I believe the noise is generated from the air escaping from the air filter rather than the BOV (which is piped to recirc).
I think the only solution would be to reintroduce to stock filter and air box, which I'm not keen to do
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Yeah, stock airbox would silence it, but also hurt performance.

The sound of the stock BOV with an open air intake like an Apexi or Blitz isn't really noticable from the outside of the car, only from the inside.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I had a k&n on my old rev 2 and never heard it at all. I guess it must really depend on the intake. Never realised what an impact that had!
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Rev2 has an AFM, which would block the path of the sound as the flapper would be closed off throttle. Rev3+ is MAP so there is nothing at all blocking the intake :wink:

Not sure if OP's car is Gen2 or Gen3+ powered!
muckyman

Post by muckyman »

SonicSW20 wrote:Yeah, stock airbox would silence it, but also hurt performance.

The sound of the stock BOV with an open air intake like an Apexi or Blitz isn't really noticable from the outside of the car, only from the inside.

Should this be the same with an aftermarket BOV, thats been set up as re-circ?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Not sure. It should be quieter when recirced, but I'd think with an aftermarket it would still be louder than stock.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

SonicSW20 wrote:Rev2 has an AFM, which would block the path of the sound as the flapper would be closed off throttle. Rev3+ is MAP so there is nothing at all blocking the intake :wink:

Not sure if OP's car is Gen2 or Gen3+ powered!

Ah now that makes sense! I've never had a stock bov on a rev3. Yours sounds good man, I like that. Plus. The stock valve is one of the best. Only that and a HKS are a pull type valve so seal tighter as pressure rises.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Ryan S wrote:
Ah now that makes sense! I've never had a stock bov on a rev3. Yours sounds good man, I like that. Plus. The stock valve is one of the best. Only that and a HKS are a pull type valve so seal tighter as pressure rises.

Yeah, while I quite like the loud ones in moderation I think I'd get annoyed at that Fast and Furious exaggerated noise you get from something llike an SSQV.

I like the sound of the Greddy Type R, but not enough to spend the £££ on one.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I have a greddy type S :oops:

The type R is a great sounding one too. I actually have every single Greddy BoV there is except the type R. The greddy are great as they can all be recirced if needed.
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

standard one on a rev 3 + with no standard airbox is worse than pssst it goose honks lol
If you see an MR2 with a raised engine cover, the bottom line is it's probably faster than your car.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

simpson_eh wrote:standard one on a rev 3 + with no standard airbox is worse than pssst it goose honks lol

Yeah, mine does it occasionally. Very odd, I swapped it for another stock one but that did it too! Seems to only do it in very specific circumstances and I can't reproduce it reliably.
muckyman

Post by muckyman »

is there any kind of baffle/silencer that could be introduced to the recirc pipe running from the BOV to the intake, that would quieten it down?
ta
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Just blank it off. Choo choo noises ftw! :mrgreen:

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

JAAASH wrote:Just blank it off. Choo choo noises ftw! :mrgreen:

Was just away to suggest that. The "flutter" on these isn't that loud.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”