I'm coming back (again!)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

muckyman

I'm coming back (again!)

Post by muckyman »

I just can't seem to shake MR2s.
I've had 3 AW11s and 3 SW20s in the past and although I've tried many many other cars I keep coming back to MR2s.
'Inbetween' cars have included (in no particular order) - TVR Chimaera, Supercharged VX220, Audi TT, Toyota Soarer TT, 3 x MX-5, 2 x Celica GT-4, Evo 5, Clio 182, Clio V6, 350Z etc
18 months ago I sold my lovely Rev 5 Turbo to 'Magic Beans' as I had hastily bought a Supra TT in Japan and had it shipped over.
I regretted seeing Phil drive away in that car :cry:
After having the Supra for a year or so, I sold and got a M3 (the 4.0ltr V8.) and whilst it was a lovely car, I still missed the MR2.
Decision made. I sold the M3 just before Xmas and will be getting back to MR2 tubbiness in just over a week - and I can't wait.
Once they're under your skin, you just can't shake 'em!
Looking forward to coming back

Michael :D
Last edited by muckyman on Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan S

Re: I'm coming back (again!)

Post by Ryan S »

It's an itch you just can't scratch when you don't have one eh? Looking forward to seeing what you end up with!!
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

welcome back :thumleft: I'm just getting rid of my rev3 turbo as the rust has killed it. I miss it already, the 350z just isn't the same beast at all. Good luck with your new mr2 :mrgreen:
wilkie senior

Post by wilkie senior »

wellcome back. i was going to get rid of the cosmos last summer but decided to get her sorted, hopefully, i can pass it back to young wilki at some point :-)
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

Welcome back Michael. I remember you from your old Mx5 days too IIRC.

I've still MX5s including a FM2 turbo but also a rev3 and rev4 JDM Turbo plus a rev3 V6 so they have got to me too.

Look forward to see what you get.
muckyman

Post by muckyman »

Madabout wrote:Welcome back Michael. I remember you from your old Mx5 days too IIRC.

I've still MX5s including a FM2 turbo but also a rev3 and rev4 JDM Turbo plus a rev3 V6 so they have got to me too.

My little black MX5 turbo was immense. I owned it twice, wanted to buy it a third time and discovered it had been killed. I spent around £6.5k on mods on that over the years and ended up with 245bhp from its little 1.6 engine. It was pretty much FM2 without FM sourced products (apart from the Link ECU and exhaust).
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

muckyman wrote:
Madabout wrote:Welcome back Michael. I remember you from your old Mx5 days too IIRC.

My little black MX5 turbo was immense. I owned it twice, wanted to buy it a third time and discovered it had been killed. I spent around £6.5k on mods on that over the years and ended up with 245bhp from its little 1.6 engine. It was pretty much FM2 without FM sourced products (apart from the Link ECU and exhaust).

I think my FM2 kit was fitted shortly after you had your black car. Phil at P5 did it with a fresh kit imported from the States. I did have the RS Limited seats out of your black car as bought them from the owner who had it a good few years ago. I had them in my FM2 turbo car briefly before I put them back on a RS Limited, which I sold on.

I look forward to seeing the new mr2.
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

Congrats mate.

I know what you mean I jumped in mine yesterday for the first time in 3 weeks and I can't explain it but it just makes you smile every time. :)

I've been offered a Cayman at a good price but can't get excited about it at all :wink:

oVerboost

Post by oVerboost »

Congratulations on the new purchase, what you say is right - they do get under your skin. I've had numerous cars over the years, but had more MR2's than anything else. They just offer so much for the money, and even newer/faster cars just don't have the same sense of occasion.

Even popping to the shops is enjoyable in the 2. :thumleft:
muckyman

Post by muckyman »

two more sleeps.......
:D
Ryan S

Post by Ryan S »

I'm so jealous of you!! Hoping to drive mine tomorrow for the first time in 4 years!
craig

Post by craig »

Buying it back off Mr Beans? :D

Must admit, starting to fancy another MK2 :-k :mrgreen:
muckyman

Post by muckyman »

craig wrote:Buying it back off Mr Beans? :D

Yup. Missed it ever since I sold it to him 18 months or so ago.
It'll be only the second time I've ever had the exact same car twice.
muckyman

Post by muckyman »

Why am I getting itchy feet to change cars again.
I know I'll regret it in six months if I do, but I'm feeling the need for a change....
What to do?!?
#-o
Draven

Post by Draven »

You've only had it 5 minutes
muckyman

Post by muckyman »

Lol, had it six months first time and only sold it as I had a Supra arriving from Japan. Had it again for eight months so far, but itchy feet are on the go at the minute. I know I won't get another this nice again, so I'm looking to sell, then keep, them sell etc etc.
Will ponder a bit longer.
At least it's a daily driver for me so I get to enjoy it every day and not just on weekends :D
yokomomr4bx

Post by yokomomr4bx »

From my perspective, the running costs of my Rev 3 turbo have been so negligible that it doesn't make economic sense to sell it - I would get a few grand to invest into something comparable performance wise (which at this price point there isn't really anything that has the same characteristics) but which will not be as reliable and likely cost a lot more to insure and maintain. In the long run it would be more expensive to sell the MR2 than it is to keep it. But realistically the finances of owning an MR2 are just a bonus compared to the sheer fun of driving and owing the thing! There is something truly unique about the power delivery and driving experience, especially from the Rev 3+ turbos, that I don't think can be replaced. If you're getting itchy feet I would be patient and accumulate rather than sell and swap. If yours is as cheap to run as mine, then it's worth maintaining so that when you want to scratch the itch you can go straight to it :)
muckyman

Post by muckyman »

agree with all that but as I only have one allocated parking space, I can't accumulate cars :(
Couldn't cope with leaving it on the road or in another secure location away from home.
Will continue to ponder.....

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”