My 400whp saga, 373whp after mapping.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

My 400whp saga, 373whp after mapping.

Post by Ryan S »

So I've had the mr2 6 years in total. It's been off the road for the last 4. This is my fourth and fave Mr2, Since I was young (i'm 35 now) I wanted a yellow Mr2 and I finally managed to get a rev3 turbo in yellow, I actually swapped it for an RX8 I owned that I only paid £1400 for!! The car can be traced back through Imoc down to Wales, The owner had it a while and really looked after it, the entire interior is dynamatted and everything that was ever done to it appeared to be done by professionals. I absolutely loved/love the car. Anyway, I did start to get bored of it as with all mr2s it was a bit rattly and my age was getting the better of me for something a bit more civilized. Thankfully the car just wouldn't sell, I had it up for £2000 at one point and couldn't get a buyer, So i then decided to spice the car up a bit by buying an ABFlug wide arch kit (another thing i always wanted), this was a pain in the ar$e as the guy took 6 bloody months to fit and paint it. I got the car back and was blown away by the quality of the job he did, truly outstanding. Seeing the car looking so aggressive rally made me want to up the power so one night in the middle of November I started tearing the engine out on my own which didn't take all that long to be honest and i never had to use a single drop of WD40 which says a lot becasue the car had been driven through winter prior to that and is a bit of a state underneath at that point. Anyway, Engine out....A friend and fellow Imoc member says he'd happily help me with the engine build as he's built a few, So he comes down to my carwash (i owned a big ARC franchise at the time) in his 3SGTE powered Corolla that he'd built himself. Fully forged and running a gt3071r, 800cc SARDS and a link g3. Took me out for a run in it and I was totally gobsmacked at the power of this thing and just how quick it came on boost, It obliterated the CT20 for spool up, It may be due to the car being lighter I don't know but it was insane. Anyway, Kris basically built the engine for me, I had the block acid dipped for a week (or 2 I can't remember), It was actually a block Kris had lying so he took mine and I took the other one, It only needed a hone so i was able to use 86mm pistons thankfully. So block acid dipped, Honed and decked, The machine place also gapped the rings for me.

After the engine being built and dropped in the car my father who'd been suffering from cancer sadly passed away, This knocked the wind out my sails no end and all work on the car completely came to a halt. 18 months pass and i have done nothing at all, Then my mother is found dead at home and to top it off, i took my dog Lucias who I had from 7 weeks (he was 10) to the vet as he wasn't quite right. He didn't leave the vet with me that night :( That was the day after my mother was found dead. An absolute total and utter kick square in effing balls. Then I split up from the missus and all this is going on while I'm starting my new business (a recording studio) so safe to say the car doesn't get touched other than having to move it from disgusting cheating ex's house.

Fast forward a year after all that and I start getting the urge to finish it off, Actually had some motivation too so after a bit of a cash flow problem (due to starting up a very expensive business that wasn't paying for itself at this point) I had to sell off a couple of bits, namely the massive BW turbo I'd imported from the states and the Link G4 ECU so I decided to just put the car to mostly stock, Having priced everything up i was actually gonna be way cheaper to run a standalone ECU so I found a cheap G3 which will do the job just fine and Kris who built the engine has loaned me a CT26. I need to run the engine in anyway so having not a lot of boost is fine. Where I am with the build at this point is that it's ready to go, I went to start her up at the weekend but one of the fittings on the fuel system was cracked so couldn't get fuel pressure, I was massively frustrated but have ordered new fittings so when they arrive this week I should hear it running for the first time in 4 years.

Once it's run in i'll get a half decent turbo kit for it, the car WILL be 400 at the wheels.

The engine was built with the following parts:
Carrilo pistons CR 9.0 1
Clevite 88 crank bearings
Arp head studs
arp conrod bolts
genuine toyota oil opump
genuine toyota water pump
every single gasket, seal, belt and O-rings replace with genuine Toyota items
ported and polished cylinder head (was done by hand so no idea of spec)
Supertech valve stem seals (all valves relapped and seated beautifully)

Non engine parts include:
Sard 800cc injectors
sytec adjustable FPR
COP conversion
Berk Tech exhaust
Link G3 ECU (currently has a 360/380whp map on it from Kris' Corolla which is an identical build) I obviously won't be using any power/boost till it's run in
The engine bay has had a pretty extensive wire tuck (see pics)
Cheap catch can install, no effort put into that whatsoever
Clutch masters FX400 6 puck clutch
45mm gauges in heater vents
I do have a big chargecooler kit to go in but again this will be once the big turbo is on.

The car when i first got it.

And after the Abflug kit was fitted

Here's how the bay looks now, I've actually had the filler neck hose removed and had the metal part welded. i just need to collect and fit it.
The entire engine loom is fitted in this picture, You just can't see it.

Any questions, Fire away. I've probably missed loads too.
Last edited by Ryan S on Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 7 times in total.
androo007

Re: My 400whp saga, 373whp after mapping.

Post by androo007 »

Awesome!!!!

CR 9:2:1 - do you mean 9.2:1? That's a super high CR!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

androo007 wrote:Awesome!!!!

CR 9:2:1 - do you mean 9.2:1? That's a super high CR!

Whoops, Edited, They are 9.01
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Nice. Any reason why you went higher than stock? I guess increased spool and lower boost needed? Gonna be a beast!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

androo007 wrote:Nice. Any reason why you went higher than stock? I guess increased spool and lower boost needed? Gonna be a beast!

That's the CR used in my mate Kris' build and it works really well. So I went with his advice. In my original thread I had nothing but negative comments about it. However, not a single person had used that setup or had any real experience with it. Kris does, Therefore I'll go with that advice over any internet advice. Kris also has a 2.2 stroked mr2 running way beyond anything this site has ever seen, I keep telling him to put a buidl thread up but he's just not that way inclined. He was one of the very first guys in the Uk to do COP on his Mr2. It's about 900bhp or something stupid and has been for years. Absolutely mind melting :D So to take the advice of internet guys behind their screens over somebody with real world experience and a true wealth of 3sgte knowledge seemed totally silly :) Like I said, his wee Corolla is insane! And his mr2 beggars belief!

remember the gen4 engine is 9.01 stock.
shane34
Premium Member

Post by shane34 »

Good to see this back in motion, looks really nice.

what turbo you going to run? will kris do the mapping or do you have someone in mind?

what protection you running for the engine?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Well i had a borg warner s200sx-e which i sold but i may be able to get that back, I am actually quite keen to use a borg warner so hopefully that. The mapping will be done by Russ at RA motorsport i Perth. He mapped Martin Fs car (the mule) and George Lawtons, I was told he made an extra 70bhp on Georges car over the map YVS (think it was yvs) done for him. Perth is right next to Dundee, 17 miles away :)

I'm quite keen to get the knock sensor kit for the link ECU. Other than that I guess just have the ECU keep an eye on fuel pressure and EGTs. Go into limp mode if it breaches certain parameters. I'm not totally sure to be honest, I'll have to see what I can do.
J4ekfmr2

Post by J4ekfmr2 »

Good to see your back in the game the car is looking really smart. YVS don't actually map cars they only build them. YVS built my engine setup and on the mapping front I used fensport which we made over 1000hp. What are you planning on using the car for? A fast road car or track?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

J4ekfmr2 wrote:Good to see your back in the game the car is looking really smart. YVS don't actually map cars they only build them. YVS built my engine setup and on the mapping front I used fensport which we made over 1000hp. What are you planning on using the car for? A fast road car or track?

Ah ok, Well whoever mapped it I heard that Russ managed to eek out more power, No idea if that is true mind you, it was Martin F who told me so I tend to believe it, I've only heard good things about Russ. Car will be my daily driver with the occasional day at Crail drag strip. Very mich a road car :)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

All my new fittings arrived today, Unfortunately I'm stuck at the studio until midnight every night until Sunday.
shane34
Premium Member

Post by shane34 »

yeah YVS build, then normally end up at fensport for mapping. Fensport map very safe so im told which is the correct way. A couple have gone elsewhere to get more power out of there maps very easily with little work. fensport will be mapping mine after hearing great things from Andy when he had his done recently. will report back when i get it back probably take it to surrey rolling road in the new year if i get the car back this year.

will have to excuse me but what size comparison was the BW compared to garret.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

shane34 wrote:yeah YVS build, then normally end up at fensport for mapping. Fensport map very safe so im told which is the correct way. A couple have gone elsewhere to get more power out of there maps very easily with little work. fensport will be mapping mine after hearing great things from Andy when he had his done recently. will report back when i get it back probably take it to surrey rolling road in the new year if i get the car back this year.

will have to excuse me but what size comparison was the BW compared to garret.

Yeah i've heard good things about fensport too.

https://agpturbo.com/borg-warner-s252-s ... 709095019/
I actually bought it from AGP. It was about 3 times this price at the time of purchase. I can't believe how much they've come down!!

It's this one here, i had the 82ar with the vband outlet. good for 525bhp apparently.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I've never named a car before but today the wee lass was talking about names for it so I said she can make one up.

She chose BUTTERCUP!!! Thankfully she changed her mind as we were driving and opted for Super Sonic. As in the Hedgehog when he tuns into Super Sonic and goes yellow. Obviously the name had to be based around something Yellow so I told her anything but Bumblebee!! So gonna get some wee Super Sonic stickers made up for it :D
androo007

Post by androo007 »

I'm loving how we can all see your excitement coming through Ryan, get in!!!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Haha cheers mate!! I am very excited to get this on the road. Even at low boost until it's run in. Once it is I'll probably wind the ct26 up to a bar. Have some fun with it until I get it big turbo on and remapped :)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Sooooo...Fitting sorted, I have a tiny drip coming from the gauge but it's screwed in with no pfte tape at the moment. I do have good fuel pressure now though. Just need to add in a wee relay and wire in map sensor and o2 sensor and the car is ready not only to start but to drive. It's already insured and my MoT tester mate says I can pop in as soon as it's ready :) So hopefully next week.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Well who's excited? i'm excited.. looking forward to a running video
Rory

Post by Rory »

Firstly I'm sorry to hear of the background to this thread. Secondly it's going to be awesome!! Can't wait to hear about the actual spool time on this when it's fully built.
My MR2 for sale! Check out the for sale section
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Turned the engine today, no joy...Just cranking so I'm away to plug the laptop in and see what's going on. Coils and injectors have all been tested and working. I have good fuel pressure so hopefully the laptop yeilds some good info.

Cheers lads, I'm excited as well haha!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

So i have fuel, I've tested the coils again but the car won't fire up. Away to go to work shortly so will have to wait :( I've waited 4 years so a few more days won't hurt!

Edit: Just spoke to Kris. We've forgotton to swap two wires at the dizzy after the COP conversion. With a bit of luck we'll get it done on Sunday! I still need to collect the filler neck anyway so no mad rush!!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”