[Mk2] [Turbo] Can noisy fuel pump be the issue?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ralliart

[Mk2] [Turbo] Can noisy fuel pump be the issue?

Post by Ralliart »

Following on from my other thread re the misfire. I replaced the fuel pump with a walbro off a member on here a few months back and thought it was noisy compared to oem but assumed it was normal. It drove fine once this was changed.

It makes a high pitched whine continuously however the noise changes tone when the steering is turned or lights on but is still quite noticeable,. Can even hear it outside the car. My mechanic / friend seems to think this may be the issue of the misfire as the car splutters when under load going through boost. Seems to think its running rich.

Not too bad when cold start but after 10-15 mins gets bad and after 20 mins of driving it will struggle to get over 20mph
Ralliart

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Can noisy fuel pump be the issue?

Post by Ralliart »

shinny

Post by shinny »

Running rich is not the result of a weak pump. Aftermarket pumps are often a bit noisier and it's not surprise that the tone of the whine changes when you do things that cause the car's voltage to reduce (especially with the engine off).

The Walbro is almost certainly capable of providing more pressure than the stock pump, which the FPR should be compensating for. It's very normal for MR2s to run a bit rich anyway, but we don't change that by decreasing the fuel pump capacity.
Ralliart

Post by Ralliart »

Appreciate you clearing that up for me - as you can see i'm not that mechanically minded.

I think best to replace usual culprits first [dizzy cap / rotor etc] and then see.
shinny

Post by shinny »

Replacing the fuel pump is a bit of a PITA. Ignition components are certainly the place to start.

I'd start by inspecting your spark plugs... or just replacing them unless you know they're pretty new, as that's just regular servicing anyway. Then check your coil pack isn't cracked and is genuine Toyota. They're prone to cracking and getting wet, which results in misfires, and the pattern parts aren't really up to the job. That's two zero/minimum cost steps to take before you spend money on replacement parts.
Ralliart

Post by Ralliart »

I did check the Coilpack / ignitor a few months ago and it was fine with no visible cracks.

Plugs done again today. Ordered blue print dizzy / rotor for tomorrow and then leads.

Where is best place to get a genuine coil pack.. Toyota ??
shinny

Post by shinny »

Ralliart wrote:Where is best place to get a genuine coil pack.. Toyota ??

First check if yours is genuine or not. I actually ordered a used one from a breaker on ebay. In fact, I looked up the part number and got the same part from a Lexus for half the price of the used part from an MR2 turbo.

Edit: Before you ask, rev3 turbo ignition coil is 90919-02197 and the ebay listing suggests it came from a 1997 LEXUS LS400, although the number appears in many other cars, including 2JZ Supra / GS300, some Hilux models and even UK rev1/2 NA MR2s! You may also find it listed as 19080-50011 which includes the different bracket for the Lexus LS400 and the Toyota Soarer, Crown and Aristo.
Ralliart

Post by Ralliart »

New cap and rotor arm fitted drove faultless for about half and hour revved to 6500 rpm without an issue :twisted: and then around 3k rpm it started 'bogging' down again. So its fine for a while and then coughs / splutters.

Booked in with a local mechanic now as its beyond my abilities :cry:
Ralliart

Post by Ralliart »

Had my mechanic ring earlier he said the fuel pressure is decreasing as the car gets on boost so upon further investigation he removed the tanka nd noticed it was quite rusty at the bottom and had contaminated fuel / water from when the car had been stood for a few years and I filled up with Vpower a few times.

1st chap didnt remove the tank to fit the walbro pump so I have got hold of a good used tank in pretty much as new condition so hopefully in the new year when its all put together that will be the end of the misfire issue :oops:
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

I cant see how the pump was replaced without removing the tank?
Unless a hole was cut in the inside of the car to access it?
Ralliart

Post by Ralliart »

I'm assuming the first guy loosened it enough to drop the tank on one side just enough to get his hand in and remove the fuel pump.
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Wow , would have been easier to drop it completely. Ive done it and it would still be near impossible
Buster

Post by Buster »

I agree, I can't realistically see how anybody could replace a fuel pump without dropping the tank. At best, "The long way would be the short way" if your'e with me.

I have a Walbro fitted in mine and yes it's a noisy wee bu88er but to me personally anyway, it just reminds me I'm driving something a bit different. ;)
Ralliart

Post by Ralliart »

Well still not got the car back. Managed to find a perfect fuel tank with oem pump so got mechanic to fit that and hopefully solve the running issues.

However he has noticed some very minor coolant leak from some pipes [hoses from hell?] so going to see about bypassing with rubber pipes I believe.

Return to “Mechanical”