Can anyone recommend a driver friendly clutch?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR2TRD8

Can anyone recommend a driver friendly clutch?

Post by MR2TRD8 »

I'm looking to swap my clutch over, Iv currently got a twin plate fitted and it's noisy and heavy.

Im looking for something which can handle 400hp but be comfortable to use at low speeds and around town. What do you recommend?
Race Idiot

Re: Can anyone recommend a driver friendly clutch?

Post by Race Idiot »

I have this twin plate
https://www.fensport.co.uk/parts/toyota ... lutch-kit/

The pedal is like stock but it is a little grabby, it's a bit of a pain in a long traffic jam but it's not bad when I use the 2 for a boring drive.
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

I have a CenterForce Dual Friction clutch in both my MR2 and Supra and gives a little more grip and grab over stock without any change in pedal feel.

https://www.centerforce.com/product/dua ... 46-c326784

I'm not sure if they are available in the UK, but easy enough to import.
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
fastasfkk

clutch

Post by fastasfkk »

exedy stage 2
MR2TRD8

Clutch

Post by MR2TRD8 »

I definitely don't want a twin plate, I can't handle the noise!

That centerforce one looks ok!

Fastasfkk, that exedy stage 2 looks a bit agressive how does it feel for normal driving?
fastasfkk

exedy st2

Post by fastasfkk »

don't mess around exedy st2 in mine for last 5 years superb
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

Been running a Clutch Masters FX300 with Fidanza flywheel for just over 6 years and find it pretty tame.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Recently fitted a Competition Clutch "Stage 2", which claims to hold up to 80% more torque over standard (remember, power doesn't matter so much, it's torque that a clutch will get ripped up by). All good so far, a little heavier pedal than the stock type Exedy I had before (not excessive) but it's not an on/off switch, it's quite progressive like stock. It's barely even broken in on mine though. One of my friends has had the same clutch for a while now and rates it though. I would think their ceramic puck type single plate would be quite a bit more aggressive.

Bin the supplied throwout bearing with a Competition kit, Exedy kit, or any other unless the design requires you use their one. All the stock type aftermarket throwout bearings are 100% trash. Spend the £30-£40 on a brand new Toyota one.

If you have the money, go for a decent twin or triple plate kit. It'll be way more than what you need right now but you'll have plenty of headroom for more later on, and typically the twins and triples are actually easier to use than the single plate ceramic / puck type clutches.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”