How to repair?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

petmcc

How to repair?

Post by petmcc »

Hi folks

I have just purchased myself a wee project MR2, a 96 uk car, but its in bit of a state!!

I am happy working with the oily bits, but its the body work am not so sure of, and need some advice.

It requires a few patches and inner/outer sills, thats bad enough, but its had a slight accident, damaged to the front passanger side, the bumper is cracked and it also bent the cross member rad sits on, quite bad, I also have discovered the quarter panel has also had filler in the past

I know all of this can be fixed, my question is how to tell if the chassis is bent or would you lot put in a Jig and checked out anyway

Thanks

Pete
almeida1234

Re: How to repair?

Post by almeida1234 »

Body parts are very easy you source. Mr2 Ben sells outer sills.
To check the shell if it's bent or not will require inspection by someone who knows what to look for.
pbmr2

Re: How to repair?

Post by pbmr2 »

there is a seller on ebay that does inner and outer sill sections ready made. not that expensive.

other parts you'll have to make the patch yourself.

have a look at the OC's guide to fixing the sills, it will help. maybe google other people who have had to do this repair. seeing other people's methods helps before you even start on yours. it might prevent some mistakes.

buy a used bumper and crash bar, the rad mount can prob be bent back, or remade. there is a chassis measurements in the BGB (workshop manual) but you have to take the wings off for some of the measurements. not a huge task.

Does any of the metal at the front of the frunk/behind the rad look deformed?
does the chassis leg the crash bar bolts to look bent?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”