[Mk2] [Turbo] LSD'S

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

[email protected]

[Mk2] [Turbo] LSD'S

Post by [email protected] »

I'm after some advice on lsd's. What's the difference between 1.5 way and 2 way? Could anyone recommend a good quality lsd? Or where I could get one from. Thanks in advance.
Race Idiot

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] LSD'S

Post by Race Idiot »

2 Way diffs will lock the wheels on acceleration and deceleration which probably isn't that great for an mr2. 1.5 means it locks fully under acceleration and only half the amount on decel.

Honestly it's probably not worth it unless you do a lot of track days. My old gearbox had some sort of jdm plate lsd in it and it was a bit xxxx just driving around normally.

Couldn't figure out what it was to get spare parts and I ended up swapping to another gearbox, but at the time I was having an engine built so I just went with the std turbo diff.

You can get a quaife diff for the turbo gearbox and they are meant to be a bit nicer in general use. Plus they don't have bits that wear out like the cusco/kaaz/trd ones

https://shop.quaife.co.uk/toyota-mr2-tu ... fferential

I'm tempted to get one at some point but I feel like my car puts it's power down well enough at the moment with the crappy standard lsd.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

my mate has a quaife diff and he loves it.. BUT!
it does add a lot of understeer, which isn't always ideal.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

I've got a TRD in mine and it's very grabby - especially when turning out of junctions etc. you're reminded that it's there as the inner tyre rips chunks out of the tarmac :lol:

As mentioned there's a slight initial understeer (but I think that's just an MR2 thing tbh) and then at the apex of the corner it tends to really nose in and the back end just plants itself. It's nice, I'd recommend :thumleft:

As for straight line acceleration - it will try to kick the back end sideways a little if you hoof it from one gear to the next but it's very controllable. What I'd describe as 'aggressive'.

I'm also using a CC stage 4 clutch and ultralight flywheel - they do help.
ZIZSIG

Post by ZIZSIG »

pbmr2 wrote:my mate has a quaife diff and he loves it.. BUT!
it does add a lot of understeer, which isn't always ideal.

An ATB style lsd diff (Torsen / Quaife) is a 1.0 type LSD: under braking there is no extra understeer possible. At accelleration yes the back has more grip just as with any other LSD diff. (like the standard visco in JDM turbo model).

When I need to redo the gearbox will change to Quaife too, as it is better (faster, and less heat) then the standard visco.

The disadvantage of ATB diffs is that with 1 wheel up in the air there is no traction and hence ni LSD on the other wheel, yet that can easily be solved by a handbrake or a little brake pedal usage. Hence an ATB is not optimal for trackdays (but still works fine), OS Giken superlock is more suited for that for example.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

with real world recent experience of the ATB there is a large amount more understeer compare to an open MR2 diff. Unless being daft the open diff mr2 I regularly use has no understeer at all, it's the best part of the car!

Powering down a twisty A road the turn-in takes some getting used to, it tended to make me want to lift a little to correct it, which isn't ideal. It does get the power to the ground very well!

The whole point of mid engine is getting on the power earlier than FR or FF cars, the diff makes that point a little later unless you use the diff to generate oversteer to dull any front axle slip.

For road use I'm not really sold on the idea having tried it. It skips and jumps at low speed too like a plated diff. not what I was expecting from the geared type diffs.

I'm sure for track it would be great
ZIZSIG

Post by ZIZSIG »

You're either doing something strange or there is a problem with the tire combination you use (more grip at the rear needs to be compensated with more grip at the front too!). ATB diff can't be the problem.

Sorry you are not close by to where I live, as otherwise I could help you fix this..
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

it's not my diff, on someone else's car.

proper staggered setup, stepped up the same amount front and rear, with matching tyres.

the diff adds understeer compared to the stock lsd. compared to my daily mk2 it's noticeable. it grips really well and puts the power down very well.
using ohlins adjustable shocks all round.

it really put me off wanting to upgrade my tubby diff from viscous. was quite interested in the quaife before having a go. seemed on paper to be the best of both worlds.

off power it's fine but turning in under load you notice the front isn't as direct as it was. in the dry it's no where near as noticeable but in the wet it shows it's hand more. use a bit of lift-off to compensate.

at parking speeds it's ok until using max or near max lock, liking coming out of jucntions slowly the inside wheel skips a bit.

The thing I love the most about the MR2 is the front end. My daily NEVER gets understeer even when pressing on hard. chuck it into a tight roundabout and take the micky with the entry speeds, get on the power early and leave the traffic for dead.. normal cars can't compete.
the quaife seemed to take some of that away from the car. at high speed on hard power it was good but lower speeds or tighter bends it definitely added some understeer.

do you run a quaife?
ZIZSIG

Post by ZIZSIG »

Unfortunately we're living too far apart, as this should not be happening at all.
Having been an instructor at the Nurburgring for many years, have driven all sorts of cars with all sorts of LSD's from customers. If there's one things an ATB does not do is add understeer, unless you have too little grip on the front axle..

I've only just bought this MR2 turbo, so currently still on visco lsd, yet it will get a Quaife later this spring, first other upgrades (fully programmable ECU, coilovers etc.) as the Quaife's are very nice for driving off track (on track better take an OS Superlock for example) and this car is mainly for carving great routes through the Alps etc :)
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

pbmr2 wrote:it's not my diff, on someone else's car.

proper staggered setup, stepped up the same amount front and rear, with matching tyres.

the diff adds understeer compared to the stock lsd. compared to my daily mk2 it's noticeable. it grips really well and puts the power down very well.
using ohlins adjustable shocks all round.

it really put me off wanting to upgrade my tubby diff from viscous. was quite interested in the quaife before having a go. seemed on paper to be the best of both worlds.

off power it's fine but turning in under load you notice the front isn't as direct as it was. in the dry it's no where near as noticeable but in the wet it shows it's hand more. use a bit of lift-off to compensate.

at parking speeds it's ok until using max or near max lock, liking coming out of jucntions slowly the inside wheel skips a bit.

The thing I love the most about the MR2 is the front end. My daily NEVER gets understeer even when pressing on hard. chuck it into a tight roundabout and take the micky with the entry speeds, get on the power early and leave the traffic for dead.. normal cars can't compete.
the quaife seemed to take some of that away from the car. at high speed on hard power it was good but lower speeds or tighter bends it definitely added some understeer.

do you run a quaife?

I noticed that the car wanted to go in a straight line when using throttle when I had the quaife fitted. When braking or turning without power, it made no difference at all.

It will hop a bit on tight lock and uneven surfaces which i think is inevitable.

It did not increase understeer.

Return to “Modifications”