[Mk2] [Turbo] Where can i buy a power steering pump from?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

monstr2

[Mk2] [Turbo] Where can i buy a power steering pump from?

Post by monstr2 »

Can anyone tell me where i can buy a P/S pump as the steering in my JDM,REV 1,Turbo has become very stiff to turn?

Thanks.
markstevieandmads

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Where can i buy a power steering pump from?

Post by markstevieandmads »

tcbparts
monstr2

Post by monstr2 »

markstevieandmads wrote:tcbparts

TCB does not seem to reply even after i wrote to them twice last week.

Is there a Toyota parts dealer in the U.K. that ships internationally?

Thanks!
mr2garageswindon

Post by mr2garageswindon »

Sure its not the relay at fault and not the pump?
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

not usually the pump, have you tried the on off trick like 50 times sad but it works lol
If you see an MR2 with a raised engine cover, the bottom line is it's probably faster than your car.
monstr2

Post by monstr2 »

simpson_eh wrote:not usually the pump, have you tried the on off trick like 50 times sad but it works lol

The power steering works but it has become very stiff to turn in the last couple of months.

I had swapped the rack assy. with my REV 3,NA a few years back along with the pump but that didn't seem to help so i bought a second hand pump from a member on the American site which made the steering easier to turn but it still felt hard when going around a fast U turn.

I also checked the ECU driver & it is putting out 11 volts though the BGB says that it should put out the same voltage as the battery which in my case is 12V.

Do you think there might be something wrong with the ECU or should i just replace the pump with a new one?
Last edited by monstr2 on Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

forums/viewtopic.php?t=194300&sid=c3f51 ... 91a63a534b

I guess it would worth a try

Cheers
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

So the power steering motor/pump is definitely running?

Does the power steering light come on with the ignition they extinguish once the car is started?

There is nothing to the physical pump part of the motor/pump assembly, in fact that goes for the whole lot really.

Seems odd your steering is 'stiff' yet you changed the entire rack and pump assembly a few years back, then fitted another replacement pump/motor from the US, there must be some common denominator here i.e the control circuit (hence check power steering light).

Also be aware that although the motor/pumps have the same physical connectors some are actually wired up different which will prevent them running and leave you with a power steering light on and fault code.
monstr2

Post by monstr2 »

tiff_lee wrote:So the power steering motor/pump is definitely running?

Does the power steering light come on with the ignition they extinguish once the car is started?

There is nothing to the physical pump part of the motor/pump assembly, in fact that goes for the whole lot really.

Seems odd your steering is 'stiff' yet you changed the entire rack and pump assembly a few years back, then fitted another replacement pump/motor from the US, there must be some common denominator here i.e the control circuit (hence check power steering light).

Also be aware that although the motor/pumps have the same physical connectors some are actually wired up different which will prevent them running and leave you with a power steering light on and fault code.

Yes i have checked for codes & there are none.
I had swapped the rack assembly & pump from my 1994,REV3,EDM,NA & it did not make much difference in the stiffness,i later replaced the P/S oil with Toyota OEM fluid which seemed to help but the steering felt quite hard when going around a U-turn.
The pump is the same between all the revisions.
monstr2

Post by monstr2 »

Juliuswws wrote:forums/viewtopic.php?t=194300&sid=c3f51 ... 91a63a534b

I guess it would worth a try

Cheers

Guess i will need to do this if the new pump does not sort out the problem.

Thanks!
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Yeah there is no difference between the pumps themselves as in the mechanical part bolted to the motor but there IS a difference between motors. Some have additional wiring which I presume is for current feedback to the ECU.

I'm not sure what metric you're using to judge the 'stiffness' there really is nothing to the power steering system and if you have replaced every component then the fault is most likely elsewhere, i.e in the control system and the motor not running as is should.

I'd be tempted to jumper 12V to the motor so it runs constantly, go for a drive round the block and see if any difference.
monstr2

Post by monstr2 »

tiff_lee wrote:Yeah there is no difference between the pumps themselves as in the mechanical part bolted to the motor but there IS a difference between motors. Some have additional wiring which I presume is for current feedback to the ECU.

I'm not sure what metric you're using to judge the 'stiffness' there really is nothing to the power steering system and if you have replaced every component then the fault is most likely elsewhere, i.e in the control system and the motor not running as is should.

I'd be tempted to jumper 12V to the motor so it runs constantly, go for a drive round the block and see if any difference.

It is stiff to the point that it becomes quite hard to drive in traffic after a while.
My mechanic got the vane pump 'repaired' & it has made a slight difference in the stiffness but its still very hard getting it up the ramp into my driveway.
I will try the method that you have advised.
Thanks!
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Yeah not sure what they 'repaired' on the vane pump there is nothing to it! i'll post some pics later need to upload off my phone.

Also unplug the connectors for the motor as well when you jumper the 12V to it, if you see an improvment with the steering after doing that it's defintely a control issue (so reference that ECU thread).
monstr2

Post by monstr2 »

tiff_lee wrote:Yeah not sure what they 'repaired' on the vane pump there is nothing to it! i'll post some pics later need to upload off my phone.

Also unplug the connectors for the motor as well when you jumper the 12V to it, if you see an improvment with the steering after doing that it's defintely a control issue (so reference that ECU thread).

Yes i understand that i will have to unplug the connectors on the motor.

Mechanic says that there are small blades inside the vane pump that the lathe shop will 'face' or something of the sort.

While my main mechanic has a different view & says that facing the blades will degrade them & that the method employed is different.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Not sure why it needed machining i've never heard of anyone having that done, the ends are rounded slightly are run inside a smooth round spacer thingy.

Anyway if you have changed pumps already its very unlikely both have suffered from the same failure mode.
monstr2

Post by monstr2 »

tiff_lee wrote:Not sure why it needed machining i've never heard of anyone having that done, the ends are rounded slightly are run inside a smooth round spacer thingy.

Anyway if you have changed pumps already its very unlikely both have suffered from the same failure mode.

Mech says vane pumps being repaired is quite a common thing here.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

I bet he would if he is convincing people to pay for 'repairs', you are the first person i've heard of having one done.

Anyhow, give the direct power supply and a go and see what happens.
monstr2

Post by monstr2 »

tiff_lee wrote:I bet he would if he is convincing people to pay for 'repairs', you are the first person i've heard of having one done.

Anyhow, give the direct power supply and a go and see what happens.

Right.
Thanks!
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

I need to create a thread on rebuilding my power steering rack and motor but in the mean time here is a couple of pics.

The vane pump, not sure what is being machined by the mechanic over there

and 2 different motor tops, which without modification would be incompatible with the car it's being fitted to (as pinout is different).
Both have sensing line on the +VE supply (red wire) but the bottom one has 2 wires tapping off the -VE rail (green & white).

monstr2

Post by monstr2 »

tiff_lee wrote:I need to create a thread on rebuilding my power steering rack and motor but in the mean time here is a couple of pics.

The vane pump, not sure what is being machined by the mechanic over there

Image Replaced With URL For Quote https://i.imgur.com/FAPvaAI.jpg

and 2 different motor tops, which without modification would be incompatible with the car it's being fitted to (as pinout is different).
Both have sensing line on the +VE supply (red wire) but the bottom one has 2 wires tapping off the -VE rail (green & white).

Image Replaced With URL For Quote https://i.imgur.com/ocWJNPB.jpg
Image Replaced With URL For Quote https://i.imgur.com/fc8hnQA.jpg

Mechanic says the pump can be repaired only after the shops had a look at it,if you would like i could document the procedure.
As far as the wiring is concerned do you think the factory would sell a pump with a substitute part number if it did not work without mods?
I have two sets of pumps & both have different wiring, i have bought another pump from a U.S. parts store which will be reaching me in 3 weeks time.
Will let you know how that works once its fitted on the car.

Return to “Mechanical”