Annoying Squeak

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pnelson

Annoying Squeak

Post by pnelson »

Hi everyone, after changing my clutch I have an annoying squeak at low speed.

It is related to wheel speed, but the frequency is much faster than wheel speed. I'd guess about 2-3 times per wheel rotation. Sounds like it's coming from the rear right.

I'm not really sure what this could be. I'm hoping it's brake related!

First port of call will be to check brake dust shields aren't fowling, then take brakes off and make sure nothing's got stuck in rotor/caliper and re-grease pads. Will also check to see if anything could be rubbing on half-shafts.

Pads/discs have plenty of meat on them. Replaced them last year before leaving the country for a while so they've only got a few thousand miles on them.

Has anyone experienced something like this before? What else should I be looking at... I hope it's nothing to do with the clutch as I don't want to be going near that again for a while!
abovetherim

Re: Annoying Squeak

Post by abovetherim »

If it is only there when rolling then it is not the clutch.. if it is the when stationary the does it go away when you depress the clutch pedal, if so thrust bearing.
pnelson

Post by pnelson »

Only happens when rolling, dipping clutch or being on/off power has no effect on noise.

Noise doesn't seem to happen in reverse though.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Sounds very much like brakes rubbing then.
I would first check the handbrake mech on the back of the caliper to check it is fully off when the lever is released. These can get gunked up under the seal that sits behind the spring.

If that is all good wind in the caliper piston all the way then put it back over the pads and press the brake pedal to push it back out. Do this a couple of times to free it up. If the piston is mega stiff to wind in the this is really only a temp measure to free it up a bit. If the piston is stiff or the handbrake mech is sticking the a rebuild is on the cards.

Biggred do kits for the read for not a lot of money and a couple of hours work will have the caliper working beautifully. But do both sides at the same time so as not to cause an imbalance.
pnelson

Post by pnelson »

Just to close this thread out...

I had a look into sorting this out on Sunday, took the disc off and there were nicks out of the edge of the disc, and dirt/grease embedded in the braking surface. I smoothed the perimeter of the disc with a file, used 240 grit sandpaper on the face of the disc and cleaned the face thoroughly with clutch cleaner.

The squeak is now gone!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”