[Mk2] [Turbo] Wiring ground confirmation

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rossonza
Premium Member

[Mk2] [Turbo] Wiring ground confirmation

Post by rossonza »

im re-attaching my grounds and wanted to ensure they're right.

Anything look obviously wrong?

Also I've got this one loop ended ground which attaches to the body of the car, cant figure out for the life of me where the looped end goes, Any ideas?

](*,)
mr2magic

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Wiring ground confirmation

Post by mr2magic »

First pic isn't ground, it's battery positive.

Second pic is not stock but good enough. Thick ground wire from gearbox to left motor mount

Edit: Is the ground wire from the gearbox going to the starter!? If so...do not do that! Place it somewhere attached to the left motor mount.

Third pic, ringed end goes from same spot on gearbox as second pic across to left chassis rail.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

mr2magic wrote:First pic isn't ground, it's battery positive.

Second pic is not stock but good enough. Thick ground wire from gearbox to left motor mount

Edit: Is the ground wire from the gearbox going to the starter!? If so...do not do that! Place it somewhere attached to the left motor mount.

Third pic, ringed end goes from same spot on gearbox as second pic across to left chassis rail.

perfect thanks, yes just twigged my error putting the earth on the same as the positive from the battery for the starter oops. glad i hadnt hooked the battery up :S

Ok, ill sort these out when i get home.
:thumleft:
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

big ring should go on one of the top 2 gearbox bolts, other end to chassis.

Do not ground the starter from that point! that is the 12v, it's grounded through the gearbox. that's how you fry wiring :D

Just think that the gearbox, block and head all want to be grounded to the chassis. that's it really, more decent connections from the block, box and head to the chassis, the better.

Try to find points on the chassis that are a direct bolt in, rather than via a bracket etc. Just makes a better quality ground.

post back up the finished pictures before hooking up the battery. just in case :D
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

pbmr2 wrote:big ring should go on one of the top 2 gearbox bolts, other end to chassis.

Do not ground the starter from that point! that is the 12v, it's grounded through the gearbox. that's how you fry wiring :D

Just think that the gearbox, block and head all want to be grounded to the chassis. that's it really, more decent connections from the block, box and head to the chassis, the better.

Try to find points on the chassis that are a direct bolt in, rather than via a bracket etc. Just makes a better quality ground.

post back up the finished pictures before hooking up the battery. just in case :D

will do, attempted to get photos last night but it was too dark and the flash wasnt very helpful on the camera.

ive removed the ground off the starter ](*,)
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

You certainly wouldn't be the first person to make that mistake with the ground / starter. At least you didn't have a battery connected / try to start it!
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Gazza_DJ wrote:You certainly wouldn't be the first person to make that mistake with the ground / starter. At least you didn't have a battery connected / try to start it!

It felt like that's where the wiring wanted to sit naturally. I did think why would I connect the battery terminal to the starter too.

Forgot to say. Looking at the front of the car. Positive battery terminal is on the right yes? Passenger side?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Positive is the one that doesn't go directly to the chassis. Can't remember which way round they are!
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Can't look now but i'm sure my positve terminal is on the drivers side.

If in doubt take the battery/frunk liner out and follow the cable back as far as you can and you will find the negative bolted to the body.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

abovetherim wrote:Can't look now but i'm sure my positve terminal is on the drivers side.

If in doubt take the battery/frunk liner out and follow the cable back as far as you can and you will find the negative bolted to the body.

will take a look later thanks guys! :thumleft:

Return to “Electrical”