Motivation/ now need help please

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

timmomr2

Motivation/ now need help please

Post by timmomr2 »

Hi everyone,

My post may be boring to some but I am requesting some motivation from fellow MR2 enthusiasts.

I bought my second MR2 which was a turbo when I was 18, the first being an N/a 3SGE. I spent fortunes on the car having all sorts of work done and doing a lot myself, making it orrange which isn�t to everyone�s tase but I love it. Mainly I played with the simple features such as boost controller intercooller suspension engine and suspension bushes breaks and mutch more. I didn�t go mad on power I just stretched the standard rev 3 engine and turbo to the limits without going to deep into the engine but got the best of the best for the car.

The car was always a joy to drive without being silly and had the brakes and suspension to make it a great toy. When I say it was great it still can be but having it from a young age meant that I had to park it to one side after a while and grow up. I haven�t sold it and never will but have been threating to get it back on the road for the last 4 years. I have put holidays and houses with the girlfriend first but I need some extra drive hopefully from you all to ensure the car is on the road this summer.

The car needs next to nothing, I put ally wheel nuts on the car which have gone to poo but have some new titanium nuts to go on. The car was serviced plugs dizzy cap fuel filter oil etc but never had even one run since. I don�t think I need to service it again because it has been garaged since but it does need new tyres and I reckon I should change the brakes. It was running carbotech pads front and rear and I�m going to stick with them. Most say they are not for the road but my experience says they are better than most pads dung normal use and incredible if you get them ready for some serious use. Any pointers on where I can buy them from now would be great. Other than this and getting a Replacement alarm Fob for the cobra fitted (have lost it but still have the certificate so hoping I can get a coded replacement using the serial number on the cert? Again any advice grateful)

Anyway long post short I�m hoping for some motivation and to get back involved with the club so any advice pictures or stories would be welcome. I�d post a pic of my car but pictures are on my phone and can�t figure out how to get them on here. If anyone can tell me how I would love to share some before and afters of the car.

Thanks to anyone who reads the job lot and decides to reply, hopefully I will be at a meet this summer :)[/img]
Last edited by timmomr2 on Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abovetherim

Re: Motivation/ now need help please

Post by abovetherim »

When changing the brakes flush the fluid for new. If you haven't already changed the brake hoses then inspect those at the least or replace with braided hoses. Same for clutch fluid, flush it through with fresh fluid.

On the cobra alarm it will depend on the model but you may need the touch key and the unique code to program replacement fobs. Cobra were very helpful with me when I needed the code but still needed a touch key. I only had 1 fob and no touch key but did have the code. So I bought a used identical alarm with 2 keys, 1 fob and no code. The imobiliser came with some of the donor cars wiring (astra) so I was able to work out which wire went where as all the cobra wires were black. Then I just had to swap units and not run all new wires.
danjama

Post by danjama »

Might be worth sucking the old fuel out and putting fresh fuel in. Well I would after so long without use.

My best advice is these cars like to be used, they don't like sitting still, so give it what it wants! :thumleft:

Also, these videos always gets me pumped to drive mine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn6C-FraPp8&t=164s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRrZq_O12EM

Not sure why house etc should put a car on the backburner, just spend less money on other things and enjoy your car.
timmomr2

Post by timmomr2 »

Cheers all sounds good and will check out the videos later.

I have braded hoses on the car so they will be fine but a fluid flush sounds like a good idea. The alarm I have worked just off the Fob so didn’t have a sepperate touch key presumably for immobiliser?

androo007

Post by androo007 »

Welcome Tim!

A great way to show progress is by setting yourself up a member profile where you can log the changes as you get back on the horse. It's great to look back and see what progress you've made over time when you think you haven't made any!

Where abouts are you in the UK?
Angpozzuto

Post by Angpozzuto »

The only way to find some motivation is to get it back on the road and enjoy it, I mean who doesn't love blasting through a tunnel
chrisE

Post by chrisE »

danjama wrote:
Not sure why house etc should put a car on the backburner, just spend less money on other things and enjoy your car.

^ what he said!

Angpozzuto wrote:The only way to find some motivation is to get it back on the road and enjoy it, I mean who doesn't love blasting through a tunnel

^ this +1.. Blackwall tunnel is awesome, but then so are the countryside winding roads like the ones in Wales

I have had my '2 for over 12 years, despite, buying a flat, buying a house and having a baby (who absolutely loves riding in it). I did lose motivation too but recently I've been able to re-gain it and have put many hours and £££ into the car.

Good luck and let us know if you need more help.
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

Just about to re ignite my mr2 mojo after 4years

I’m here for ya :thumleft:

craig

Post by craig »

platmatt8 wrote:Just about to re ignite my mr2 mojo after 4years

Image Replaced With URL For Quote https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4523/389 ... af0c_z.jpg

Looks nice that, but I'd be relocating that front plate from blocking off airflow through the radiator.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Life is too short to drive boring cars.. Get ya wallet out and get this car back on the road!

:lol: :D
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

craig wrote:
platmatt8 wrote:Just about to re ignite my mr2 mojo after 4years

Image Replaced With URL For Quote https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4523/389 ... af0c_z.jpg

Looks nice that, but I'd be relocating that front plate from blocking off airflow through the radiator.

It’s fine, I’ve been driving like this on a summers day on a spirited run and need never got over half way :thumleft:
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

The std engine temp gauge isn't that great of an indicator. I've had coolant temps of over 100 on my actual coolant gauge on track and the stock gauge has been firmly stuck in the middle.

Saying that I doubt that plate is that bad, my rad has an aircon condenser and a CC radiator in front of it.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

How is this going
timmomr2

Post by timmomr2 »

Getting close, I've git an MOt booked in on the 5th but the car is doing funny things again.

Before I took it off the road it intermittently started cutting out and I changed the throttle body, coil pack, spark plugs dizzy cap and leads yet the problem doesn't seem to be going away.

This morning the car started fine and idol was fine, then when I started it again shortly later the yellow management light came on and as soon as the throttle was touched it starts to splutter and choak and eventually cuts out.

Any suggestions would I would be great full. I do have a video but can't upload unfortunately

Cheers
[/url]
timmomr2

Post by timmomr2 »

https://www.magisto.com/album/video/J3s ... sm&o=i&c=c

The video makes it sound like the engine is knowcking and misfiring but on idol it runs perfect at just under 1,000 RPM as soon as I touch the throttle it then starts to misfire and chicle it's self. From recollection it think the error code suggest coil pack but I have had 3 on it so it can't be that.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

if the light comes on there is prob an error code, read the codes.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Open up the ECU and inspect the capacitors for swelling and leakage.

There seems to be a lot of strange running and cutting out or not starting coming from dodgy ECU's at the mo.

Also check the exhaust is not restricted by a family of furries.
Pull the plugs to see they are all the same condition.
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

here you some of us thup north through airport tunnels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-IV1yQyc6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X_QzT3spKE

what else do you need ha ha ha
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
timmomr2

Post by timmomr2 »

Thanks for the heads up.

The car has been doing this since I took it off the road although seemed to be fine las year when I took it for a service.

The code comes up with ignition coil issue I think but I have changed this.

We have come to the conclusion that I have a cheap nasty downpipe on the car which as you can here has a pretty nasty crack right next to the sensor. We think that it's reading too much O2 and trying to compensate with too much fuel so hopefully once the new berk downpipe goes on she should be running sweet as a nut. MOT booked for the 5th so hopefully I will get some pics or a video up then. The front end of the car isn't much to look at anymore unfortunately. I have a bomex front bumper with carbon center and fitted the fibreglass front vented wings before having the whole car team sprayed orange. Those items don't stand up to good against a badger
timmomr2

Post by timmomr2 »

:mad: so today was MOT day and I was quietly hopeful that once I had taken the car to my mates place fitted the new tires and downpipe that all would be well and good.....
Of course this didn't happen and the car would not start at all.

I re connected the battery put some fresh fuel in checked the levels and turned the key expecting it to run lumpy like last week. Unfortunately I got no start up at all.

Thinking I had flooded the engine I took out the spark plugs which were a bit sooted up and gave them a clean also turned the engine over with the fuel pump fuse out to cleare any residue (is the EFI 15A fuse for fuel pump?) put everything back and still nothing. It sounds like. It's hunting to start making me think there must be some sort of spark going on and there is definitely fuel getting there.

So I'm back to square 1 and probably at the limit of my own capeability. My plan is to get some new spark plugs and have a go at it again one evening but with someone who knows what they are doing a bit more.

I haven't yet managed to take the ECU apart to check that but any other pointers would be great.

Cheers

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”