www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
[Mk2] [Turbo] Using Aircon pipework for water intercooler.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sir chad

Feedback Score: 0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: [Mk2] [Turbo] Using Aircon pipework for water intercooler. Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

After fitting a bigger intercooler and deleting my Aircon it occurred to me that I could have used the aircon pipework and matrix as the basis for a water to air intercooler.
Has anyone done this??
rev2rich
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 11

1991 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Not sure if any one has done it but when I was looking to do my build I found this

https://killerchiller.com/products/universal-parallel-kit

Using the AC to cool a CC set up to keep the wait down. I was unable to do it as my AC was shot so never went this rooot

Hope this helps Rich
shinny
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 29

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Stock aircon condensors tend to be shot by now anyway, but even a new one is probably not going to do as cool a job as a purpose built charge cooler pre rad. There's also other parts of the aircon system that you'd want to by-pass (evaporator, heat exchanger etc) so it's not as simple as hooking up the core / pump to the aircon lines in engine bay and calling it quits.

You're doing a charge cooler for performance reasons, so do it right or you may as well stick with a SMIC.
pbmr2
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 12

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

using the lines under the chassis to carry the water to the front isn't a bad shout. Main downside is the pipe is narrow so flow is going to suffer.

The larger the hose the more water there is in the system, you're using the water as a heat sink so more is better.

Proper pre-rad and a decent pump really make or break any CC system. The hose is cheap, very cheap.
markstevieandmads

Feedback Score: 5

1993 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I didnt use the air con pipework mainly because it looked just to small to me.
pbmr2
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 12

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

It is tiny, and some of the bends are sharp. Maybe 4-5mm ID, when the 19mm CC hoses are deemed the smaller end of the market.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Modifications All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: