Let sleeping dogs lie? Sill Question

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tellso

Let sleeping dogs lie? Sill Question

Post by Tellso »

Hi All,
Ive just purchased a Mica blue Mk1 T-Bar. Shes in beautiful condition. Arches all solid :thumleft: If you look closely she does have a few little paint defects but all slight and well hidden.

Shes just been through an MOT and passed without any advisories!

I've had MK1's before and I know that rust can creep up on you. The first one I had pretty much dissolved over night but that had already had a botched repair before I bought it.

This one genuinely seems solid. Its had 2 small patches of welding done in the past and has since been undersealed and wax-oiled and has lasted really well.

There are a couple of areas along the sill where maybe stone chips have taken the underseal off and you can see rust has settled on the metal. They are all intact and no holes etc but id rather treat them now rather than be replacing them in a years time.

I wanted to treat them with some rust cure just as a precaution and then re-underseal the area.

Questions:
1. am I overreacting? They aren't rotten. I don't think! They are mostly heavily undersealed at the moment. It certainly looks pretty solid underneath.
2. I guess I should really wire brush them back before applying a rust cure treatment and then undersealing. I'm just scared what ill find if I start scrubbing them with a wire brush!
3. Alternatively, should I just leave them as they are and just give them another coat of underseal?

Sorry for all the silly questions. I know pictures would help but I've no idea how to get them on here nowdays.

Any advise is appreciated.

Cheers
Tareim

Re: Let sleeping dogs lie? Sill Question

Post by Tareim »

I would go at it with a wire brush to see if its perhaps just surface rust, if it is then just remove all evidence then underseal it, if however its full on rust then I'd sort it now and stop it spreading whilst it's on your mind instead of forgetting about it or having to periodically checking on the progress
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Tareim wrote:I would go at it with a wire brush to see if its perhaps just surface rust, if it is then just remove all evidence then underseal it, if however its full on rust then I'd sort it now and stop it spreading whilst it's on your mind instead of forgetting about it or having to periodically checking on the progress

agree with this. would be silly to let the rust manifest taking it from a potentially simple job to a full strip/weld scenario
Tellso

Post by Tellso »

Thanks guys. Ill get underneath her the weekend and have a play with the wire brush :pray:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”