Tsia's 1995 Rev 3 turbo

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tsia

Tsia's 1995 Rev 3 turbo

Post by Tsia »

Hello everyone!

Its been a few years since I had an MR2, having originally owned a Rev 2 turbo about 5 years ago or so. I moved off to a twin turbo Supra after owning that for a year or two, then up to a big power single turbo Supra - which is quite the expensive journey. Anyway, as much as I love the Supra, it's a LOT of money sat on the driveway and still didn't put a smile on my face quite like the old MR2 did - so I set about finding another one. I wanted a rev 3 turbo, in white and specifically a tin top. As luck would have it, a car that met all of these criteria came up for sale, a viewing and test drive later, and she's mine :D

And here we are, back home again. First things first - I've got to change these wheels, ten points to anybody that can recognise the brand:

:-k

They're the wrong size & fitment for the car, not to mention they've got non staggered, stretched tyres. Once I've settled on some wheels, they'll be replaced!

Anyway, the car also has some Rev 6 rear lights, which would have already been swapped out for stock Rev 3 lights if Parcelforce hadn't screwed up the delivery:

Overall, I'm not a huge fan of how the car looks. Aeroware lip, the Greddy skirts and... Phoenix? spats (not really sure) don't do it for me. I always wanted to have a full Border kitted MR2 before, so I'm going to do exactly that.

I've already got a MBC on the way, as the car is currently running stock boost with the TVSV disabled :?

Further updates to come!
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Re: Tsia's 1995 Rev 3 turbo

Post by JAAASH »

Looks like a lovely clean example you've picked up!
White turbo's are the best colour too. Not that im biased in any way at all :whistle: :lol:

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Right, first things first... removing those tail lights! New lights arrived in the post today, and despite it being dark I figured I'd give it a crack. Turns out I'm going to need to cut up my wiring looms to fit them correctly (as my indicator seems to think it's a brake light) and get some new bolts whilst I'm at it. Either way, picture! :

Last edited by Tsia on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
craig

Post by craig »

Congrats on the purchase mate! Rev 3 rear lights improve the rear 100% over the rev 6 items. Good choice!

Tuned in, enjoy! :thumleft:
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

craig wrote:Congrats on the purchase mate! Rev 3 rear lights improve the rear 100% over the rev 6 items. Good choice!

Tuned in, enjoy! :thumleft:

Absolutely. Now I've got backache from leaning in to the boot and matching up all of the wires. I'm assuming they're from two very different years as the 'clips' don't match up with the lights at all. Next up is the quad light mod :thumleft:

With a bit of luck a few other bits will arrive tomorrow, so I can get my boost gauge properly installed in the dash before starting to toy with the new boost controller (Mumby's Engineering MBC - I'm going off electronic gubbins in the car and like the idea of something reliable and out of the way.)
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Looking better! A rapid improvement would be to spend 6 quid on a UK rear plate. That jap one in its place looks damn terrible. God knows why some people do these things... :-k
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Yeah, I'll be needing new plates anyway when I fit the Border kit, so I'll be doing that later on down the line. :)
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Right, boost gauge installed, ready to daisy chain some temperature gauges on when they arrive. Seems to be reading correctly, so I'll be getting the MBC installed tomorrow night and getting the boost dialled up a bit. Running below stock (TVSV blocked, no boost controller) doesn't make for the most exciting drive :?
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

As I had a spare rev 3 center panel, I decided to see how it'd look painted. I also came upon the realisation that without the Rev 6 lights, I don't currently have a fog light - so I set about fixing two birds with one stone. Super bright fog bulb is on the way to go behind the red side, the white side stays as a reverse light. Thankfully, I've got the original with wiring etc still so if I want to change it all back, it's a ten minute job. :thumleft:

Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Well, it's dark by the time I get home now so I've set about doing a few tasks I can do indoors. For a start, getting the new gaiter & gearknob ready to go on:

Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Another little evening task, decided I wanted to wrap the dash with a carbon effect. It's not to everyone's taste, I know - but then neither will the rest of the car by the time I'm done with it.

Quite happy with the result!
MR2 Turbo Boy

Post by MR2 Turbo Boy »

Bud,

Great result, in the carbon effect - where did you Buy the kit from?.

Cheers
Jon
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

It was just a sheet from fleabay, cost me all of £3.79 :lol:

I originally just wanted to wrap a very small part, but got a little carried away. Will add a link to this post later on tonight.
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

Welcome to MR2 Ownership.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Thanks, but it's not my first '2 ;) I had a Rev 3 shell with a Rev 2 turbo engine a few years ago. Only it was much, much tattier than this.

Anyway, today's jobs:

Reinstall the dashboard, properly fit the new gaiter & gearknob:

I've then started the repair on some Border spats that I've recently purchased, getting those ready for fitting. The new MR2-Ben sills have arrived too, so now to look for a place to cut off the old ones and weld the new ones in place before fitting the rest of the kit :-k

Later on tonight I'm also going to modify my new side vents (courtest of LimeyMk1 - thanks! :D) to be a single vent, ready for the removal of the Greddy skirts.
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

Yeah I am back into mr2 ownership this year having been away for a while. Own 2 right now having had 3 of them this year. Good luck with it.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Welcome back, looks a very good start indeed.

supras my dream car. why did you not rate it as much as the mr2?
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

In part because the car was cursed, and it'd go wrong at any possible opportunity. Absolute money pit, which made me terrified to drive it, as I knew any little error light was another few thousand pound down the drain. Also, whilst it was fun to put my foot down and point it in a straight line, it just wasn't as much fun as the MR2. With the '2, I'm enjoying driving it slowly, quickly, all the time. The Supra was only fun when pushing silly speeds.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Tsia wrote:In part because the car was cursed, and it'd go wrong at any possible opportunity. Absolute money pit, which made me terrified to drive it, as I knew any little error light was another few thousand pound down the drain. Also, whilst it was fun to put my foot down and point it in a straight line, it just wasn't as much fun as the MR2. With the '2, I'm enjoying driving it slowly, quickly, all the time. The Supra was only fun when pushing silly speeds.

thanks for the reply. makes sense, they are a big barge suited to motorway pulls :P

ive not driven an mr2 before, so excited to see how my turbo turns out.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Side skirts & rear bumper successfully removed so that work on the rust can start. It's a bit bad behind the passenger side wheel arch, but I've already had a garage say they're happy to get that replaced. Sills are very bad, but also very isolated - not that it matters as I've got entire sills ready to go on. Progress!

Plan is to get the car in next week for the rust work to be completed, then I can get to fitting the new body kit. Wheels arrive on Tuesday, so hopefully have those fitted by next weekend as well - as long as I can find the bloody time! :lol:

Return to “Member Profiles”