[Mk2] [Turbo] pre-rads.....extra fan required?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimGTS

[Mk2] [Turbo] pre-rads.....extra fan required?

Post by jimGTS »

i wondered what are peoples thoughts on extra fans if running a pre-rad for a CC system.

currently i have just the 1 oem fan attached to my alloy radiator, but thats it. and that on sits on drivers side.

theres no space to fit anything between prerad and rad.
should i consider or think about another oem fan for the pass side?

thanks

:thumleft:
androo007

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] pre-rads.....extra fan required?

Post by androo007 »

Thats all i have Jim chap, OEM fan on rad. I've not heard of additional fans for CC personally as I'd have thought it would distrupt the airflow through the main radiator core.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

it was more a concern when stuck in traffic, aka waiting at the Pod, ha
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Just running a pair of stock fans on mine atm.

Have you run yours with just the 1 fan yet? what at the temps like? Was thinking about going down to just 1 stock fan instead of 2.

only reason being weight saving, but don't want to impact the cooling.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

only ever had 1 for rad, temps good.

pre-rad, havent driven car yet, so not sure of any heatsoak, even then, i dont have a coolant temp gauge for this.
though now you mention it, i think i may well get one as my swirl pot has a spare port that look slike a 1/8npt
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

yeah I've got no temp sensor for the CC yet, thinking of adding that after it's all up and running well first.

Would like the whole intake/outlet temp, charge in/out temp setup but it's not really needed and just a nice to have. Displaying all the info in a neat way is half the battle there.

Good to know about the fan. have removed the A/C so might rewire the main fan to the passenger side and only run 1.
Ja99a

Post by Ja99a »

If you have removed the AC then you can run the other fan by fitting a switch instead of the AC sensor under the bonnet, when I go to the pod or something I just go under the bonnet and switch it on so I have both fans running.

Ive done the same on the engine lid so I can break the circuit with the sensor.
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Ja99a wrote:If you have removed the AC then you can run the other fan by fitting a switch instead of the AC sensor under the bonnet, when I go to the pod or something I just go under the bonnet and switch it on so I have both fans running.

Ive done the same on the engine lid so I can break the circuit with the sensor.

This is exactly what i done. Switch is in the cabin. Never needed to use it though and the st205 core is always cool to touch even after a track run.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Car had no aircon option.
So no pipework, fan etc

Still tempted to fit another fan, just to help things at standstill.
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

You should fit a nicely engineered, easily accessed drain that will allow you to empty off your hot/warm Red forlife into a bucket. Then you can fill it back up with ice cold water for each run. Then at the end of the day put the red back in. keep enough in the system at each change that you keep the pump primed, that would depend on the position of the nicely engineered drain. What do you think.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Surprisingly enough, I’m not worried about my cc water after having this setup for a couple of months.
It’s more worry of blocking off the engine coolant rad. My coolant temps are up about 2-4c since sticking a pre rad in front of it.

I run straight distilled water for my CC system. Is always cold. I was expecting a lot of radiant heat from coolant rad to the cc rad, but seems the small amount of spacing I have is plenty and the CC rad is always cold/ambient.
Setup must be pretty efficient so can’t complain.

I’m likely worrying over nothing after running this for a little while.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Winter is just around the corner, might want to rethink the pure water content of the CC system, even if parked in the garage it can get below 0.

Running a weak 25/75 mix in mine.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

yeh ill added in a ltr or so of pure stuff, think theres only like 3ltrs in the system.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Worked mine out and the numbers came back a little small. like 1.4l for all the pipework, which seems a little small.

think the core holds about 1L and the rad about the same. 3.4L for the whole system, seems quite low. Never measured the volume, might have to drain it to find out.

Return to “Modifications”