Ollie's 1988 Mk1.5

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Charged
IMOC Committee

Ollie's 1988 Mk1.5

Post by Charged »

I thought I'd join the Member Profile party as I've never had a project thread and thought I may want to look back on progress over the years.

I've owned countless Mk1's since 2003/2004. I've got a big passion for the AW11 and I cannot see any time in the future when I wouldn't have one. I have owned almost every spec Mk1, Mk1a, Mk1b, Mk1 Supercharger and Mk1.5. They all have their own merits but what floats my boat these days is having a good old 'fast car'. The Mk1.5 is exactly that. But it's about to get a LOT faster.

Some may remember by old gunmetal grey Mk1 which was converted by Paul Woods in 2005 to a Mk1.5 using a low mileage REV2 3SGTE engine and LSD gearbox.

^ This car is long gone to the scrappers but a lot of it lives in my current Mk1.5. Engine, gearbox etc is still all the same, the engine has never been opened and has reliably run 15-18psi for ten years with a couple of bolt-ons. I've been through a few turbos though!
EDIT, actually thinking about it, the head was reconditioned when it was converted to REV3 spec.

This is the current Mk1.5 which is an import tin-top in a rare colour. The bodywork is tired but everything underneath is good.

SPEC
1988 Tin-Top Import Shell, originally running a standard 4-AGE
REV2 block and LSD gear box.
REV2 to REV3 conversion
Custom exhaust
Cheapo induction kit
EBC @ 18psi
ST205 Charge Cooler with marine pump located in boot
Hybrid CT20b (thanks TCB)
BC Coilovers
Uprated front and rear anti roll bars
Fishnet Recaro seats
OMP steering wheel
Quick shift kit
Custom gurney flap
US Spec rear lights
Original Toyota wind deflectors
Woodsport Buddyclub Replica Front Lip

^ probably an awful amount of stuff I've forgotten,

ALL work is carried out at Drift Limits Performance (formally Pacific Works).

www.driftlimitsperformance.co.uk

Some more pics:

WIND DEFLECTORS:

RAINY DAY PROJECT IN BACKGROUND

SLEEPER

More to come. Lots of future plans :thumleft:
Last edited by Charged on Thu May 18, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Re: Ollie's 1988 Mk1.5

Post by Charged »

Video of the old shell running a 13.2 at Santa Pod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPq8jzyKHdI
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

good man, loved the look of the grey one..
i always have alittle chuckle looking back through at my members profile
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I remember seeing your old one at JAE a few years back, awesome little thing!

Interested to see how the next stage pans out :D
Ben

Post by Ben »

One of my all time favourite mk1s. Still got a couple of shots of the old shell from JAE in (I think) 2012:

8)
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
craig

Post by craig »

I remember the gunmetal grey mk1 from JAE 2012. Didn't realize it'd been scrapped. Looked a minter when I last saw it. Mind you, it was 5 years ago!!

How come it was scrapped?
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Thanks guys and great pictures Ben. :thumleft: Reminds me that I need to get some new decals made up for the new one.

I scrapped the old shell as I was fed up of chasing rust around. Heart over ruled head at the time I had all the bodywork etc done back in 2007, in reality I should have started with a more solid base but I loved the gunmetal grey colour and someone had already spent a fair chunk of money with Paul getting it converted. The final straw was that it needed two new sills, oh and I was offered the claret/red tin-top for next to no money so had a good transplant shell.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Pretty sure that's the year I was there and was left a note at the entrance of my tent, containing ramblings about Mk1s being better than Mk2s :lol:
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Tiny update/bump just to say that the Mk1.5 has just been rolling roaded at 401BHP :D
JD

Post by JD »

Charged wrote:Tiny update/bump just to say that the Mk1.5 has just been rolling roaded at 401BHP :D

Congratulations, especially on that last 1hp!
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Charged wrote:Tiny update/bump just to say that the Mk1.5 has just been rolling roaded at 401BHP :D

Great to get any car into the 400+bhp category, must be a blast.
What mods does the car have ? Any up to date pictures ? Do You have any plans of going down the quarter mile in it ?
Obviously been a life long passion, you've done well, drive save and enjoy what you have created, well envious ;)
SySanguinary
IMOC Committee

Post by SySanguinary »

Lol! Nutter! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :thumleft:

(long time, no see by the way)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Good to see this Ollie. Don't think I was using the forum much when you originally posted. What kinda mods/turbo etc?
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Is it all still the same specs in the first post?
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Thanks for the replies, I'm just back from picking the Mk1.5 up, a faultless 4 hour drive from Warrington to Bedfordshire, lots of traffic holdups and rain but no problems, a surprisingly civil drive in fact. I opened it up twice and it's definitely as fast as a rat up a drainpipe, maybe even slightly faster :shock:
I hit the limiter in second gear, it came around that quickly! It's now back in it's garage space awaiting a dry day..

So, engine wise it's a forged ST205 lump from a crashed GT4, Apexi Power FC Garrett GT3071R Turbo, external wastegate, screamer pipe, custom manifold (it's a sight to behold!), ST205 WRC chargecooler with marine pump, custom exhaust

Tuning Developments have just re-done all the turbo work and mapped it. I was very happy to give them the work and to say I'm pleased with the results would be a huge understatement. This engine and similar turbo set up ran 454bhp in the Celica but it had a big front mount.. my limitation is the chargecooler..

Martin; thanks.. I have current photos but it's such a ball ache getting into my photo bucket account. It basically looks the same as the second picture in the first post on this thread (the dark red one with the bbs style wheels) but has unpainted fibreglass front wings. I'll be taking it to Santa Pod at some point for sure.. I've no idea what time it will run but it'll be faster than ever now.

Lots of future plans, I've got one of Paul's 222D rear hatch and Louvre to go on, some body work and decals etc
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I remember everyone saying years ago 'oh you won't get more than 350bhp out of a 205cc'

Mind you I'd be happy with 350 at the flywheel anyway!

What fueling stuff are you using?

I remember the old grey car up at the old garage and thinking wow that looks amazing. Then getting closer and seeing the crusty bits.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Wow 401bhp in a MK1 that must be ludicrious

Return to “Member Profiles”